Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

33.5 hours in to induction and no contractions...

(21 Posts)
EmberElftree Sun 25-Oct-15 09:36:19

I am 42 weeks today according to original dd of 11oct though doc also gave me 4oct as baby has always measured a week ahead.

I came in to hospital at midnight on Friday and they inserted the propess at 4am Saturday which didn't work. They removed it at 7.30am today and inserted another propess and 6 hours later still nothing. The doc who inserted it said my cervix was posterior and baby not effaced yet.

They plan to leave me until tomorrow am at 7.30am when they will remove the 2nd propess. If still no dilation they won't give me the drip but will send me home for 24 hours to see I I start labour by myself or it's a c section.

I had planned (ha ha!) for a hypno water birth so a c section is scary as we are on our own live overseas with no help and dh due back at work on 5th nov.

So any advice on options should I not bother to take the 24 hour rest?

Am concerned about going too over and risk to baby?

Or just opt for a c section and hold my baby tonight or tomorrow?

Baby is happy just now moving well and hb good on monitor but is big, measured 4 kilos 3-4 weeks ago.

ACatCalledFang Sun 25-Oct-15 12:51:02

I have to say, in your shoes, I'd be inclined to go for the C-section.

I was induced eight weeks ago and ended up with a section. For me, the propess did work in that I dilated enough (1.5 cm) to enable the doctor to break my waters, but despite that and then nine hours of the drip, I failed to dilate past 2 cm. I had the choice of section or another seven hours on the drip, and plumped for the former as I felt that it was pretty obvious I wasn't going to give birth naturally. I made that decision exactly 48 hours after starting the process, and he was born just over an hour later, at exactly 42 weeks!

Oh, and my plan was also for a hypno-style water birth grin. But the section was honestly fine and I haven't found recovery anywhere near as bad as I might have expected. I definitely needed help for the first week or so, but could have managed after a fortnight if I'd only focused on feeding myself and baby while DP was at work in the early days.

It will depend on how strongly you feel about attempting a vaginal birth as to whether you leave it any longer and go for the waiting period, and you should discuss your concerns about the risks and likelihood of success with your doctor/midwife.

Personally, I felt I'd given it a fair shot. For what it's worth, my baby wasn't far off 4 kg and I think the size of his head and positioning may have had something to do with why I failed to go into labour, but that's my own theory rather than that of a medical professional.

EmberElftree Sun 25-Oct-15 13:21:33

Thank you for your reply fang, your situation sounds very similar to mine. I'm concerned about leaving it and it may never start by itself and I'd end up with a section anyway, or perhaps baby is not yet ready to out. At 42 weeks I feel this is unlikely but I know women do go over into 43/44 weeks.

Just want to do what is best for baby. This baby is big as they all keep telling me, head down and lying with their hip/bum on one side and legs on the other, wonder if that has anything to do with it...Will speak to my own doc when she comes in a couple of hours and see what she thinks.

Thanks again for your reply and congratulations on your son!!

WildStallions Sun 25-Oct-15 13:24:33

I never went into labour after being induced. And so had a c-section.

It was fine...... Baby turned out to be big and I suspect that is why induction didn't work. But if it had worked birth would have not been easy.

EmberElftree Sun 25-Oct-15 13:39:25

Am concerned about that myself stallions every nurse/midwife who sees me says ohhhh big baby and it's starting to freak me out a bit. Maybe it's slowing me down! I was going on others say so that you won't grow a baby that's too large for your body to birth but I'm starting to second guess that. Congrats on your birth.

NorthernLurker Sun 25-Oct-15 13:46:46

In your shoes I would tell them to pack in induction and proceed to a nice calm C-section. There's a reason why your cervix isn't dilating and we don't know why that is but I wouldn't ignore that physical sign. Just get the baby out in the way that seems most effective and vaginal birth isn't working atm.

WildStallions Sun 25-Oct-15 13:48:10

With modern diet you most certainly can grow a baby too big to give birth to!

My boys head circumference was on the 98th percentile or something. I'm short. He would not have got out.

Take the c-section as soon as you can. (And I don't in general recommend C sections. Far from it. )

Stampynono Sun 25-Oct-15 13:50:51

How tired are you? Could you do with a good nights rest?

DriverSurpriseMe Sun 25-Oct-15 13:51:35

I had an elective section and it was a thousand times better than my DD's vaginal birth. I agree that there's maybe a reason why you aren't dialating at 42 weeks, and I'm surprised they've happy to leave you to 42+2 and beyond, especially if your due date was originally calculated as October 4th. Just evict that baby ASAP grin Good luck.

DriverSurpriseMe Sun 25-Oct-15 13:53:53

My mistake - I see your original due date was Oct 11th, but adjusted to Oct 4th due to big baby. Either way, what I said still stands!

CerseiLannistersEyebrow Sun 25-Oct-15 14:20:31

I would get a c section. You might feel more in control of things if you request one. Posterior, big baby and induction is a tricky mix. Either way hope you meet your baby soon.

ACatCalledFang Sun 25-Oct-15 20:49:46

Ooh, EmberElftree, that sounds similar to my situation - DS (thanks for the congratulations!) was always head down, bum up, on one side. He wasn't enormous - 8 and a half pounds, and I measured bang on average during my pregnancy - but I'm short and think I have a small pelvis. And he had a big head! I thought a C-section preferable to a difficult, potentially instrumental, delivery.

Fingers crossed you're cuddling your baby already!

blackkat1978 Mon 26-Oct-15 01:41:21

Firstly I hope that your baby has arrived without the need for more intervention. Were you induced due to a medical concern? If that were the case I would definitely opt for a section. If there's no medical issue I guess it depends on how knackered you're feeling & how strongly you want a vaginal delivery. A baby usually arrives between 37-42 weeks so at 42 weeks you're only just over due & unless you've had complications that gives no reason for concern. My son arrived at 41+6 but as long as there were no signs to show distress it wouldn't have bothered me if he'd have needed an extra week to grow & be ready. Good luck with your birth.

EmberElftree Mon 26-Oct-15 11:09:31

Thanks for your replies. Still no action here, baby happy on monitor still good movement and hb etc. no contractions/water breaking for me. Labour ward is full of labouring women which could take a while. I've told doc I won't go on the drip tonight as am already knocked from noisy ward constant interruptions and lack of sleep. Rather start again fresh tomorrow. My vagina is sore already from them inserting, removing pessary and attempting a sweep last night. Plan is to rest today then try the drip tomorrow am but this depends on a room being available on labour ward. Doc says should only be on drip until they can break my water and contractions have started, no more than 6 hours. After that it will have to be a c section in case I don't labour and birth on my own. Phew this baby is such a long time coming, so glad dh is with me being supportive, this is not how we imagined it would all go!

EmberElftree Mon 26-Oct-15 11:12:29

Blackkat no medical reason other than being 42 weeks wanted a calm hypnobirth but whatever is best for baby is all I want. Worried about going on to 43 weeks+ due to risks if anything happened to my baby would never forgive myself. So far so good though they are doing good for now!

Stampynono Mon 26-Oct-15 11:50:03

Can you go home and get some rest then?

AmberLav Mon 26-Oct-15 13:44:54

Have they given you a scan to check how well the placenta is performing? That is normal NHS policy after 42 weeks. If the placenta is performing well, then I would say do what you prefer.

If you haven't been scanned, then I would insist on one asap.

Good luck!

EmberElftree Mon 26-Oct-15 15:08:54

Not allowed to go home now as considered high risk due to being over 42 weeks plus we live over an hour away from the hospital so even if we wanted to its a Bit risky at this stage to get back in a rush.

No scan since Tuesday last week Water was good I was thinking the same will ask them thanks amber.

Topsy34 Mon 26-Oct-15 17:59:42

I would insist on a scan to check the placenta and cord, if the baby is happy on the monitor, you are well, i dont see why you would go for further induction or c section.

Maybe discuss other forms of induction, foley catheter can be used to gently stretch the cervix, not that common, but a preferred method in some nhs trusts.

Trust yourself and listen to your body smile

EmberElftree Tue 27-Oct-15 09:59:28

Have been on the drip since 6.40am v low dosage to start. Now having contractions going from 0 up to 120 but can't feel them?! Midwife says I'm v lucky. Worried about how strong they'll get later on though...?

If this continues they'll examine me and if I have dilated they will break the waters. Had some discharge so maybe cervix has opened a bit...fingers crossed. If I can continue on my own without the drip I might be able to get in the pool after all which would be great.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 27-Oct-15 10:03:34

Just be careful with the drip if you have no pain relief at the moment. Synto contractions can very quickly become extremely painful very quickly as they don't ramp up naturally and your body doesn't produce any endorphins as it's basically being tricked into labour

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: