Talk

Advanced search

CS or VB after 3rd degree tear

(11 Posts)
Cantstopsmiling37 Sat 24-Oct-15 07:49:25

Hi all,
Am 14 weeks with baby no3. I had an episiotomy with my first (now 3.5yrs) and a 3rd degree tear with my second (now 1.5yrs). I have a while to go to decide yet but just wondering about others experiences?
My consultant is sending me for a scan of 'the area' to help me decide. I'm a bit scared of a cs, esp with the other 2 to look after too but obv more scared of potential problems if I tear again.
Thanks in advance.

QuiteLikely5 Sat 24-Oct-15 08:01:25

You will obviously get a variety of opinions on here.

I was exactly like you though and for my third I had a c section.

I just could not take the risk. I will never forget the trauma of my third degree tear, the trouble I had with bowel movements afterwards and the pain I was in which meant I was terrified of needing the bathroom.

The c section was a breeze. My Dh agreed with me that literally for the first two weeks I would do nothing except look after the baby and BF. This enabled my tummy to heal fine.

Good luck

FatimaLovesBread Sat 24-Oct-15 09:18:53

Watching with interest as I'm in a similar position.
Had a 3b tear with my first, now 17 weeks with second.

I've got a consultant appointment at 28wks and have also asked for a birth debrief with the consultant midwife as I didn't have one afterwards.

I think I'm OK with vb if it's spontaneous, however they're going to want to induce me at due date. In which case I think I think I'd rather have a c section. Still trying to figure things out in my head

Cantstopsmiling37 Sat 24-Oct-15 11:22:21

My was only 3a tear and I had barely any pain at all. Minor bowel issues in first week, but I put that down to lack of sensation and too much lactulose!!! So recovery was quick and fairly easy and I was still able to get about and look after my DD. But that's not say it'd be the same this time!!!
I think I know the sensible thing would be to go for CS but not sure...
With your CS, Quitelikely, did you get skin to skin fairly quickly?

Fugghetaboutit Sat 24-Oct-15 11:48:10

In your shoes I would have a cs

MrsJ12 Sun 25-Oct-15 15:02:49

I had a 4th degree tear with my first and due to various health issues that has left me with was strongly advised to have a c section 2nd time round. I was reluctant as c sections get such bad press but given all th pain and problems first time I decided in the end to go with the c section.

It really was so much easier and i found recovery so much quicker. I made sure that rested a lot the first few weeks (as much as you can with a toddler) and by end of the 2 weeks felt back to myself

With regards to skin to skin it was a worry of mine too but as soon as he was out and checked over they put him on my chest while I was stitched up

I just recommend going with what you feel is right

Cantstopsmiling37 Sun 25-Oct-15 15:49:50

Thanks MrsJ,
I will make sure I say I want skin to skin asap. My logical side says cs makes most sense.

soundsofsodor Sun 25-Oct-15 16:17:33

I had a 3b tear with my DC1 as a result of forceps & shoulder dystocia.

I opted for induction before my due date with DC2 to reduce the risks of the shoulder dystocia happening again as baby's size is a risk factor. My consultant wasn't worried about the fact that I had a previous tear at all and said that shouldn't stop me having a VB but it was entirely my choice and he would support a VB or a CS.

I felt very strongly that I wanted to avoid a CS but part of this was because of the reasons I tore the first time. I felt I was unlikely to have the same set of circumstances the 2nd time round. I also had no symptoms from the tear so that was not a consideration.

I would say to go with your gut feeling and if that is a CS you will find a way to make the weeks afterward work.

Canyouforgiveher Sun 25-Oct-15 16:23:16

had two sections after an episiotomy, forceps, 4th degree tear and pph. Never regretted it. Both sections miles easier to recover from and I was able to hold both babies faster because I wasn't in such rough shape. Breastfeeding was easier too.

I felt I had through sheer luck dodged the bullet of incontinence and pain the first time and no way would I risk it again. In reality by second child was so much bigger than the first that I would probably have had an emergency c section in the end.

Cantstopsmiling37 Sun 25-Oct-15 16:33:15

Thanks Sounds,
You see I don't know why I tore but I have a strong suspicion it was because I didn't listen/couldn't hear midwife. She was a lovely supportive encouraging lady but unfortunately I can't bear that when I'm in pain and told her to stop talking as i couldnt hear her properly when sucking on g&a and was really annoyed every time i took it out just to find out she'd said "well done" or something. So i just stopped listening. Baby was a rather large 9lb2 as well. So it could well have happened anyway.
I'm glad my consultant is sending me for scan (however unpleasant) as it will help me decide one way or the other.

AmberLav Sun 25-Oct-15 21:55:01

I had a 3b tear with my first, and the option of a cs wasn't even mentioned for my second, not that I wanted one anyway.

Had a 2nd degree tear with my second, and I'm now 32 weeks pg with my third. Still want a VB, though my consultant this time is sending me for a picture of my bottom, to see how it is looking. I recovered well from both tears, and had no issues, other than immediately after DC1, which is think was more due to lack of sensation...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now