Talk

Advanced search

Forcep vs c section

(21 Posts)
Zainabisaaq84 Wed 21-Oct-15 20:02:03

Hi needed a little advise please... This is my third pregnancy. .. my last two deliveries were by forceps .. my second labour was a nightmare I had a trainee midwife trying to deliver my baby whilst I was on 4cm dilated she made me push for almost 5 hours with only help of gas and air ...I finally gave up pushing and started screaming the place down of frustration as why my baby wasn't out yet.. later a consultant came and said why I was pushing wen I am not fully ready and also it was a back to back baby therfore I wasn't supposed to be laying down on my back... anyways after a lot difficulty I gave birth to my son with forceps. ..

Now am 25 weeks pregnant and have an appt with consultant at 34 weeks of my pregnancy. .. to decide if I want a c section or let nature take its course.... I really dnt want a c section as heard it takes longer to heal. .. but with my both forceps I was in alot of pain for weeks .. I just wanted to know if anyone else had 2 forceps ? And what advise can be given to me for my third delivery...
P.s I hope this thread make sense smile

TaliZorah Thu 22-Oct-15 15:30:10

I had a c section. I wasn't in much pain by 2 days after, was walking by day 3 and out the house in my own clothes on day 6 with just paracetamol occasionally. I've had worse pain from a blood test.

Obviously that's not everyone's experience but pain wise my c section was fine. The first day was a bit rough but not unbearable.

Battleshiphips2 Thu 22-Oct-15 15:45:20

I has forceps with my first. I was in agony for around 6 weeks afterwards. Because I had complications I was kept in for a week and almost every lady on my ward had c sections, they were all up walking about laughing and joking after 24 hours and I couldn't even sit properly! This time again I will be induced and I'm not looking forward to it as I can see my having forceps again! Looking forward to seeing others replies as it's been on my mind.

LumpySpaceCow Thu 22-Oct-15 15:47:51

My elective section was much nicer than my ventouse and episiotomy and healing was much quicker.

LottieDoubtie Thu 22-Oct-15 15:52:48

I had a section (never had forceps so can't comment on those). The pain was fine on day 1 (drugs!), pretty bad on days 2 and 3 and then steadily improved and was bearable after that. I think the plus point is that your recovery is more predictable with a section. And people will 'get' it, they won't expect you to be running at full speed by day 6 - because you have just had a section.

LottieDoubtie Thu 22-Oct-15 15:54:12

Oh and it may just be me, but I'd prefer to have pain along my section scar and therefore not be worried about peeing/pooing on it... whereas the other option isn't quite as palatable in that respect...

Zainabisaaq84 Fri 23-Oct-15 21:59:27

Thanks ladies for ur replies. . Very much appreciated smile

Just even thinking of having a 3rd forcep is scaring the hell out of me..like battlehipships2 I had ladies who had c section looking more cheerful than myself. .. I couldn't stop crying and I was in hospital longer than them as I had a trainee midwife mess me up during my labour..One things for sure NO TRAINEE STAFF is coming near me this time around!!!!!

Scattymum101 Sat 24-Oct-15 04:36:47

Have you had a chance to have a birth 'debrief ' from your second birth? It sounds like you needed forceps due to staff incompetency more than anything else. I can't say if it's likely to happen again but you could be absolutely find this time, especially if you can get into a good birthing position and have a calm and tranquil atmosphere.

That being said, I would rather have a section than forceps (I haven't had either so can't comment from experience sorry).

Could you have in your birth plan that you refuse forceps and if things aren't progressing then to go straight for a section?
Do whatever you feel safest and most comfy with. If a planned section is going to make you feel more secure and happy about delivery then definitely go for that. You're clearly very worried and traumatised by your previous birth and you need to go with whatever choice you are happiest with.

I hope you get some support to make your decision. Have you spoken to your mw about it? X

ktmummy1 Sat 24-Oct-15 07:27:15

I can't believe anyone would choose a c section over a vagibal birth. I have had one of each. My vagibal birth was traumatic after a placental abruption at 34 weeks, my child arrived prematurely and via ventouse delivery...terrible pain and stitches after but within a couple of weeks I was fine and I thought it was still an amazing experience even with the trauma.

My second child was emergency section after no one had picked up he was in a footling breech position when I went in to labour. The section itself was bearable although didn't give me or my oh the same experience in terms of head emerging, amazing magical experience as you get in a vaginal delivery. Baby was in a bit of shock after and needed 10 mins of oxygen etc before he was handed to me...I could barely move so oh had to hold him. The recovery from a section is awful (esp if you have other children). I couldn't walk until day 2, then was bent double. The scar has taken months to settle down (although not infected, it still was tender, numb in parts, swollen and red) for about six months. Even now at 9 months post section my scar is red and obvious. Google c section scars to see what the reality is. Trying to look after my toddler after c section was awful.

I honestly would never choose a c section. My body recovered so well after vaginal birth but not section. Please choose carefully!

MrsButtonMoon Sat 24-Oct-15 07:35:24

C section all the way for me!

Relaxed, no pain and I was driving three weeks after (it's absolutely fine if you feel well enough, call your insurance and ask them)

There was a poor woman on my ward who had suffered through hours of pointless labour, forceps, episiotomy, the works!

She was in bed crying while all the sectioned were wondering around having showers and fetching breakfast.

I felt awful for her.

I'd say go with your gut, if you've had two forceps births by now you know it's quite likely for the next.

Pros and cons to each but I know which I'd choose, every time.

MrsButtonMoon Sat 24-Oct-15 07:37:53

I should point out there can be a big difference between emergency sections and elective and the recovery after.

megletthesecond Sat 24-Oct-15 07:44:49

I've only had sections (EMCS and elcs) and took a while to recover from both (painkillers, pj's and ready meals for 2 weeks helps). But I was 100% by week 12 and at the gym. Compared to what I hear from other mums who have had bad forceps experiences causing long term problems I got off very lightly.

fruitpastille Sat 24-Oct-15 07:47:44

I've had 3 sections. The first couple of days are hard. I remember shuffling very slowly to the shower/breakfast in hospital and the walk to the exit to go home felt very long. However improvement after that was rapid. Short walls outside within a week. Felt fine by two weeks but was careful as I knew everything inside was still healing. Driving by 3 or 4 weeks. You can barely see my scar now (more than a year after my last one). My first scar was a bit more obvious but that got sorted by the subsequent one! Tummy muscles seem fine - no problems when I exercise. Everyone is different though.

stairway Sat 24-Oct-15 09:59:34

I've had an emcs and an assisted vaginal birth. Both were really horrid. But I did recover quicker from the c section oddly, though this isn't the case for everyone. Next birth if there is one I will be requesting an elective c section if they let me. I do already have a scar there though... Are you sure you want one as they can be pretty ugly?

OhtoblazeswithElvira Sat 24-Oct-15 10:06:10

Had one of each. Planned section was less painful and recovery much better, far far quicker. An ugly scar under my bikini line is nothing compared with the permanent damage to my perineum caused by forceps (sorry if tmi).

Good luck!

TaliZorah Sat 24-Oct-15 10:40:29

ktmummy I'm sorry for your experience but I don't think that recovery from a section is usual, particularly for an elective like the OP wants.

Zainabisaaq84 Sat 24-Oct-15 13:46:33

Thanks ladies .. Both time I had forceps was due to my babies heartrate dropping and if I do choose to go naturally and things do get bad first option would be forcep because things can get worse whilst waiting for a c section so that's what's scaring me the most.

By reading most of ur experiences it's helped me a lot to think clearly I guess it depends and each and idividulas how they recover after c section.

megletthesecond Sat 24-Oct-15 13:52:12

My section (x 2) scar has almost gone after 7 yrs. I have to search for it now.

Whereas 25 yrs old self harm scars are as grim as ever hmm . Scars are funny things.

OverScentedFanjo Sat 24-Oct-15 13:53:12

I had forceps and the delightful episiotomy. I was sure at the time that a section would have been more bearable.

Also you are expected to be in pain and rest etc with a section rather than forceps people said "oh but you had a natural delivery" why are you moaning etc.

I still have problems with the episiotomy scar and damage caused by bloody forceps.

Wineandpopcorn Sat 24-Oct-15 13:54:24

I'm in the same situation as you, two forceps delivers and number 3 due in 6 weeks. I am convincedt will happen again, but have been advised not to have a section by my consultant sad.

Zainabisaaq84 Sat 24-Oct-15 22:25:24

Mostly people in my family and circle of my friends have had either a natural birth or a c section so it's hard to explain what it feels like having a forcep .sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now