Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Nesting: how long between finishing nesting and going into labour was it for you?

(21 Posts)
LexiLexi Thu 15-Oct-15 13:14:58

Just curious to hear other's experiences. I'm 39+6 today and I feel I'm done with the nesting now, just want to put my feet up and rest! Oh and eat.

MaisieDotes Thu 15-Oct-15 13:18:05

About two or three days. With DD I was fixated on cleaning the fitted wardrobe in her room-to-be. I remember scrubbing the sides and top of it- it was fine beforehand!

With DS I got up out of bed at 1am one night and went and poured a 2 litre bottle of bleach all around the utility room confused

MaisieDotes Thu 15-Oct-15 13:18:44

I scrubbed and rinsed after obvs!

LexiLexi Thu 15-Oct-15 13:28:31

Haha MaisieDotes, I can relate to that -spent almost two hours scrubbing and sanding our farm house kitchen table yesterday. It was fine, other than a few light watermarks!

Also noticed that my DS, who is 2.5 doesn't want to let me out of his sight. I've no experience of finishing nesting with him as I was hospitalised at 36 weeks with pre-eclampsia

hearthattack Thu 15-Oct-15 14:58:31

Is finishing nesting a thing? I've been done with it for the last few days, after a week of manic cleaning. I'm 39+5 and all I've wanted to do since Monday is sleep and eat. I figured I was just exhausted after all the house work, walking up hills and bouncing on an f-ing ball!

I'm not holding out much hope that it's a sign of anything though. I'm pretty resigned to the fact the I'm going to go 10+ over and end up with the dreaded induction. sad

LexiLexi Thu 15-Oct-15 21:10:26

hearthattack maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. You may find the induction date is negotiable, if you can bear waiting, that is!

Mine's pencilled in for 42 weeks, the Consultant did originally suggest 40+10 but I think that's just standard NICE guidelines. Very best of luck and let's hope the stopping nesting is a sign for both of us!

Scattymum101 Fri 16-Oct-15 19:48:48

I never finished nesting lol. With dd1 major nesting was a sign things were happening. With dd2 being exhausted was a sign. I still wanted to nest but couldn't as had no energy x

LexiLexi Fri 16-Oct-15 21:40:25

Scattymum101 that pretty much sums up how I feel, I'd like to do more but have had to stop as I'm exhausted.

As DS is 2.5, I could be doing housework all day and it would never be done!

Scattymum101 Sat 17-Oct-15 04:56:37

Exactly the same age gap as mine :-)
The two days before I went into labour with dd2 I just wanted to sleep. I had a mw appointment on the Tuesday and then went to my mums and slept on her couch for 3 hours while she entertained dd1. The next day I sat on my ball and did lots of rotations and then woke up on the Thursday and knew that was it. I was having s home birth so I had to clean a bit but I was so tired that I struggled.

Very different to dd1 when I organised hubby's sock drawer and bought new blinds for every room in the house the day my contractions started lol.

typetytypetypes Sun 18-Oct-15 18:25:22

DS1 zero nesting, born 39+4. DS2 nested for months, towards the end there was so little to do I was cleaning the bathroom several times a day, born 42+0 after induction.

Both were quite annoying in their own way! Just thought I'd share. Best wishes to you all! flowers

poocatcherchampion Mon 19-Oct-15 17:47:42

Off topic it why have you got planned inductions in already?

LexiLexi Wed 21-Oct-15 21:09:37

Scattymum how did you find the early days with 2? My DS is very excited and keeps offering to give his toys to the new baby, but have a feeling that might change!

Typetypetypes thank you for the good wishes. Both nesting and not nesting are indeed annoying in their own way.

Poocatcher, I'm under Consultant Led Care and for various reasons can't have a standard induction, everything has to be tailor made in my birth plan. Another appt tomorrow. Have a feeling they are going to offer me a sweep & I don't want one yet (even tho I'm starting to feel ever so impatient for baby to arrive!)

Scattymum101 Wed 21-Oct-15 21:59:04

Honestly the early days were pretty easy. Dd2 slept almost constantly and once I got past the nightmare we had BF (she had tongue tie and I was in agony and had no support) and moved her onto formula she was easy til about 4 weeks. Then she developed reflux and it was awful as she was really poorly and had weight gain issues.

Dd1 was and still is amazing with her though. They adore each other and get on so well. She still shares pretty well even though she's finding dd2 more challenging with her crawling now. She's 8 months and dd1 is 3 and they're so lovely together.

SnozzberryPie Wed 21-Oct-15 22:11:46

I never nested with dd, which is a shame as she was born into a grubby house which just got worse blush

I'm 34 weeks with dc2 and when I'm not at work all I want to do is sleep! When does nesting normally start?

Terrifiedandregretful Thu 22-Oct-15 21:50:38

I never nested. I've never had the desire to clean in my life and thought late pregnancy might get me a cleaner house, but sadly not.

LexiLexi Fri 23-Oct-15 16:55:13

Scattymum that's good to hear. My DS is so sweet and loving but very Mummy, mummy so have been worried how he'll be. I think in the longer term it's a great age gap as hopefully they're close enough in age to want to play together.

Snozzberry, mine started quite late at 37 weeks, so there's time yet! DP works outside in a messy job and also have a messy toddler so everything has quickly descended into chaos, apart from a few cupboards, which neither of them go into.

Terrified, the main thing is a happy home and I'm sure being a bit more relaxed about things helps that.

jamtartandcustard Wed 04-Nov-15 12:37:55

I remember ripping up the bathroom floor with dc2 and started relaying another one. Didn't get finished for about 6 weeks as labour started that night! Didn't nest with dc1 but technically never went into labour with her, and I can't remember what happened with dc3.

BlueChampagne Fri 06-Nov-15 23:55:44

Nesting, what nesting? X2

mrsleomcgary Sat 07-Nov-15 23:05:48

PFB is 21months,i'm still waiting for my nesting instinct to kick in.

brokencrayons Sun 08-Nov-15 17:42:44

I've been nesting since 30 weeks! Although its probably just panic cleaning. I've been proper nesting for about 2 weeks. Painting, bleaching, scrubbing walls, making sure the laundry basket is empty at night, only white boil washed bed sheets on the beds. It's a bit nuts! I'm 38 weeks and today I have been in bed all day sad .

Sleepybunny Sun 08-Nov-15 17:55:05

DD1 born early at 35 weeks. I didn't feel a particularly steong urge to nest. Although we did refit the bathroom and I was cleaning a little more than usual.

I'm 37+5 with DC2 and it's been manic for a few weeks now! I washed curtains today, for absolutely no reason. Also all clothes are washed and ironed by the end of the day. It's become a bit of an obsession. hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: