Talk

Advanced search

Edinburgh- Simpsons (BC or LW) or SJH?

(17 Posts)
pinkmanbitch Mon 07-Sep-15 12:03:52

Does anyone have experience of either St John's hospital or the Royal (either the birth centre or labour ward?). Or ever better, experience of both to compare?

Thanks

lilac3033 Mon 07-Sep-15 12:47:33

I used the Birth Centre at Simpsons. It was fantastic. I had a great midwife who was calm and confident. DD was my first so that was important. The facilities were lovely in the birthing room. I didn't really feel I was in the hospital.The post natal ward was good and separate from the labour ward's post natal ward. I ended up having the ward to myself the first night. The midwives and healthcare professionals were really lovely and helpful. I had a lot of trouble breastfeeding and they were very helpful with it. My only complaint is the food is rubbish but I just had DP bring me stuff. They might also have been a bit quick to encourage supplementing but in my are it was the right call.

lilac3033 Mon 07-Sep-15 12:54:13

This was May this year, btw.

pinkmanbitch Mon 07-Sep-15 13:39:03

Thank you! I've heard the rooms are lovely. Did you have a pool?

lilac3033 Mon 07-Sep-15 14:17:07

Yep, it was massive! I laboured in it for awhile but had to get out after a bit of pushing as it slowed down my contractions. They used aromatherapy as well, they'll ask you what sort of smells you like.

faintlyoptimistic Mon 07-Sep-15 14:35:38

I went to Simpson's both time though the first time the BC was still being built. BC is fantastic - both the delivery rooms and the ward!

Just as a different pov I had lots of problems feeding my first and they definitely weren't quick to top up with formula then.

The reason I opted for Edin over StJ both times was the availability of pools.

MuddyWellyNelly Thu 10-Sep-15 20:40:48

SJH has been refitted and now has 4 pools I believe. Had my baby there 6 weeks ago, they were generally fantastic. Ended up as a crash section and it was amazingly speedy and they did a great job of reassuring us, making sure DH got skin to skin whilst I was out cold, etc. midwives on the ward were all really friendly too.

weeblueberry Sat 12-Sep-15 10:04:24

I've got experience of both!

My first daughter was born in the Simpson in 2013. Both kids we wanted to be in the birthing centre and then with both my bloody body wouldn't birth naturally and I had to be put on the drip. So I've not experienced the BC.

The Simpson was lovely but busy and loud. We ended up using the nicu and the staff there were wonderful. Overall the experience was great and I had a lovely midwife who totally respected my decision to go drug free which she wasn't sure about in the early stages of getting the drip put in.

With my second daughter we were due to be at the Royal but were called fifteen minutes before we were due to leave and told to go to St Johns. I was really upset about it because I'd never been there and had no idea what it was like. I was really nervous the whole car journey over. When we got there though it was excellent. The birthing rooms have all recently been done up and there are 4 rooms with pools. The midwife was great and, as requested, once they put the drip in I was left to it with my partner. I didn't see her much. The room was lovely and clean and new and when I gave birth and went up to the ward I ended up having it all to myself until the next day! Best thing ever with a new baby.

Overall I think my experience at St Johns was better but the birth was easier so it's hard to compare. But it was so lovely and quiet that I might even opt to go there next time. The only thing that annoyed me was they didn't enforce the restricted family at a bed rule and the bed opposite me had 12 people around it at some point. I was fairly comfortable feeding etc but if I'd been sore or a new breastfeeding mum it would have done my head in.

Good luck with whichever you choose!!

Bishboshbash Sun 13-Sep-15 21:39:25

My ds was born at the royal two years ago, induction plus EMCS so no experience of the birth centre but it fine, lovely staff, clean hospital, food was edible mostly!

Heatherbell1978 Tue 06-Oct-15 20:56:18

DC1 born at Simpsons last August. My experience was great. Straight into birthing suite and baby was born after a few hours in the water pool. We lucked out because the wards were at capacity so they couldn't move me out of my birthing suite so husband stayed the night on the sofa bed they have in the suite so the 3 of us had a cozy night together! I was given the option the following day to leave or stay another night in the ward as space had opened up but I went home. Your biggest risk is how busy the place is to be honest. I was close to being diverted to St Johns.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Sun 15-Nov-15 18:29:39

I'm already quite stressed about the prospect of diversion to St John's (I'm only 7 weeks so assuming all is well it's a long way off) because neither DH nor I drive, our parents live 300 miles away and none of our friends have cars either! I have no idea how we would get there (very very expensive taxi, I assume). More specifically, I don't know how we would manage DH going back and forth after the birth. It would cost us a fortune!

lilac3033 Sun 15-Nov-15 18:51:18

I think I read somewhere that diversions only happen about a dozen times a year. I think it is very unlikely to be an issue for you! I'd ask your midwife for figures on it and let her know how concerned you are about it. smile

Feeches Tue 17-Nov-15 17:38:16

I recently gave birth at St Johns but was very nearly sent to Edinburgh as they were so busy. I laboured for a while at home but contractions ramped up so quickly we just turned up as their phone rang out. It was obvious that baby was coming imminently so they took me. Just as well. I didn't fancy giving birth on the City Bypass.

Feeches Tue 17-Nov-15 17:40:12

Just to add. The labour ward at St Johns is fantastic. Postnatal ward not so much.

weeblueberry Wed 18-Nov-15 10:07:35

I'm already quite stressed about the prospect of diversion to St John's (I'm only 7 weeks so assuming all is well it's a long way off) because neither DH nor I drive, our parents live 300 miles away and none of our friends have cars either! I have no idea how we would get there (very very expensive taxi, I assume). More specifically, I don't know how we would manage DH going back and forth after the birth. It would cost us a fortune!

Are you getting a taxi to the Simpson? I'd ask your midwife tbh because it might be they'd send an ambulance for you if available?

Belmo Thu 19-Nov-15 12:12:35

I very much hope it doesn't happen but if you do get sent to St. John's, it is much much cheaper to phone a livingston taxi to come and get you than get an Edinburgh taxi through (from nights out experience!).

I'd love to go to the birthing centre but live so close to St Johns it would be mad to subject myself to the car journey.

Had my dd there in 2011 and it was fine although hated the post natal ward. Hoping to try a shiny new birth pool this time, and ideally just go home straight after, all being well.

WannabeLaraCroft Thu 19-Nov-15 12:23:12

Gave birth at St John's last week! Everyone was fantastic, midwives and nurses couldn't have done more for me. Another mum in the ward had had her previous child at Simpson's, and she didn't like it so opted for St John's this time! Good luck op!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now