Advanced search

Induction after previous tearing

(8 Posts)
Equimum Sat 22-Aug-15 17:17:13

When DS was born 3 Yeats ago I has a 3b tear which took months to heal and has always remained a bit sore when 'irritated', before my period, when cold etc.

When I found out I was expecting DC2, I was referred to a birth choices clinic to decide whether to go for a natural birth or c. Section. I was reassured the risk of repeated tearing was relatively small. I specifically asked about to he risk of tearing if I ended up being induced, knowing that this was more likely to lead to an instrumental birth etc. I was told it wasn't really worth discussing because, as I have spontaneously laboured with DS it was almost certain that I would do so again. Well, I am now well past my EDD and the point at which DS was born and this baby is showing no signs of shifting. I am now booked for an induction and all the midwife could say if that yes, there is an increased risk that I will tear, with or without an episiotomy.

I have been terrified of a vaginal birth all along, and only agreed to try as I was reassured I was very unlikely up find myself in this position. I am now even more terrified and thinking of refusing the induction at this stage.

So, my question is, has anyone else had an induction to prevent prolonged pregnancy, following an earlier tear, and if so, what was their experience of the induced labour?


Equimum Sat 22-Aug-15 17:17:56

*Yeats =years

lovemakespeace Mon 24-Aug-15 08:41:11

Hey OP - sorry noone replied to this.

How are you now? How many weeks are you?

It's so hard to know what to do isn't it. I was induced for my first birth, and ended up with a 3a tear (extended episiotomy and forceps), my second baby came spontaneously at home, and I had two 2nd degree tears.

If you don't want to be induced I would make this very clear now and be pushing for a c-section date to be booked at the point where you no longer feel comfortable waiting for labour. Sometimes you have to be very assertive. I have found contacting the Supervisor of Midwives at my hospital very helpful in the past you should be able to find their details online.

Hope you get on ok, it is not nice the very end of pregnancy sad

Equimum Mon 24-Aug-15 11:47:33

Thanks for your reply. I am already more than a week overdue. Although I knew there was a risk of tearing again, I was told not to worry about the increased risks associated with induction as this was unlikely to occur. When I saw the midwife last week (a stand-in) she just routinely booked me in for induction saying I might deliver beforehand. We have tried to contact the midwives this morning to discuss our concerns, but have been told that I need to contact the community team, who are not around. DH asked about the option of booking a c section this late and they said it wasn't generally possible, but to speak to community team (who aren't available)

Ridingthegravytrain Mon 24-Aug-15 12:36:45

Have you had a sweep to try and get things going?

They practically force you to book and induction as soon as you go over these days. I really hope it happens. I felt no signs either time before either of my very overdue births so fingers crossed it happens

I had a v bad tear first time (assisted delivery) Second was a home birth and just a 1d tear on an extremely badly put together perineum so it can be ok!

Though tearing along old scar tissue is always a possibility regardless of induction or intervention as it's just so non pliant.

BollockyBollocks Mon 24-Aug-15 12:39:26

Hi op. Not quite the same as you but tore and had to have reconstructive surgery with dc1 which failed and left a mess. Dc2 was 2 weeks late, a quick and spontaneous labour with no tearing at all. Wishing you all the best.

lovemakespeace Mon 24-Aug-15 13:55:00

You poor thing sounds very stressful for you at the end of your pregnancy sad for different reasons I had a difficult end to my sons pregnancy and it really was a horrid time.

I think you are not being treated well and you can pursue this further if you feel able. Can you find any information re the Supervisors of Midwives on your hospital website? There is usually one always on duty so it should be possible to contact one. Otherwise try the switchboard?

I think you need to make it clear that your fears from your trauma from your last delivery mean you are seriously considering not being induced. But since they have informed you this carries a risk to your baby (I'm not saying it does but that is their whole argument for induction) then you would like a c section. Hope that makes sense.

Good luck OP. it can all feel very overwhelming but don't feel like you don't have choices here. I really hope you can speak to someone useful.

pinguina16 Wed 26-Aug-15 06:09:25

I'm sorry I don't have a direct answer to your question. I thought I'd draw your attention to two things.

I don't know what numbers you were given for the risk of severe tearing again after a first severe tear.
The risk of severe tear is actually increased for women in your position.
First time mums have a 6% risk of severe tear.
The rate for all births is 3%.
The rate for women who have already suffered a severe tear is 7.2%.

The other thing I'd like to mention is my friend's birth. She was over forty so was offered a c-section. No other concerns. She preferred a vaginal birth so declined.
She was then overdue and was offered an induction. To cut a long story short, the first pessary did not induce labour and because my friend was not aware that induction usually takes several pessaries to work, she asked to have a c-section. And it is what she got.
I'm trying to say that you can ask for a c-section now. You probably need to be very assertive but you don't have to go with procedures you're not happy with. Staff not being able to answer your questions does not justify going along with their plan.

All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now