Talk

Advanced search

Episiotomy 8 months on (TMI)

(23 Posts)
zombiemeow Fri 07-Aug-15 21:09:14

Very embarrassing! confused

8 months ago I had my lovely ds. I had an episiotomy. When they did it I wasn't given any form of pain relief until 8 hours after. They did use the local anaesthetic when making the cut but this wore off when they were stitching (another long story).

Due to the pain I had I was far too scared to have sex with dh for months. Anyway, recently we have got back into it. The other day we dtd two days running and now down there feels very uncomfortable/sore and also my scar is raised.

Is that normal? Or should I be worried?

AuditAngel Fri 07-Aug-15 21:38:31

I didn't suffer this. Speak to your doctor.

Diggum Fri 07-Aug-15 21:38:36

Sounds like you had a tough old time. Very understandable that it took a while to feel ready for sex and as a result your vaginal skin is probably a bit more delicate and prone to "chafing" (ah the joys!).

It's probably just a little irritated from the unaccustomed friction. A gentle cold compress might give some relief.

Is there any itch? Again, you may be more prone to thrush if there's some irritation, in which case canesten cream or similar would be a good first port of call.

I'd suggest a water-based lubricant for next time if you were even the slightest bit dry during sex.

If this discomfort doesn't settle with simple measures, and a short break from sex, then off to the GP just in case you need an antibiotic (unlikely though).

zombiemeow Fri 07-Aug-15 21:57:15

Thanks for the replies, it was fine when we dtd every other day, but it seemed like two days on the trot seemed to really irritate it. It did seem a bit dry the second night blush is that something that will get better?

Diggum Fri 07-Aug-15 22:09:17

It should do yes. I was the same the first while (no episiotomy though) but totally fine now!

zombiemeow Fri 07-Aug-15 22:13:05

That's good to hear diggum!

Fugghetaboutit Fri 07-Aug-15 22:13:59

Use lots of lube

LibrariesGaveUsPower Fri 07-Aug-15 22:15:30

It is scar tissue. If it is just this frequency I'd say lots of lube and give it time. smile

Any nasties like bleeding, swelling or signs of infections pop to the doctor.

zombiemeow Fri 07-Aug-15 22:31:24

Is it normal for the scar to raise though?

How I would of coped with pregnancy, birth and after without mn I will never know!

LibrariesGaveUsPower Fri 07-Aug-15 22:33:26

It may be just ,erm, reacting to the level of . impact.

PleaseGetOffTheTableDarling Fri 07-Aug-15 22:34:31

I would go to GP, there are treatment options if it doesn't improve (I know from bitter experience!).

pinguina16 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:36:42

You can massage the scar to help the scar tissue get softer. Use a lubricant and gently massage with your thumb. You can swipe left to right and back and you can also put pressure backwards and hold for a few seconds (work your way from one side to the other). Hope that makes sense.

The scar tissue WILL change I promise. I'd say it takes at least a few weeks of massaging once a day to feel a change (4/5 weeks?). You can also use dilators. Same work but because dilators are bigger than your thumb (can't believe I've written that! blush) it swipes in a wider sort of way.

I had a different sort of trauma but I get the anxiety of starting sex again. Personally massaging first helped me get some confidence back.

Take care.

zombiemeow Sat 08-Aug-15 10:09:07

Will have a look at the managers smile

Thanks for the replies everyone grin

zombiemeow Sat 08-Aug-15 10:09:33

*massagers! Not managers blush

LibrariesGaveUsPower Sat 08-Aug-15 11:09:44

Do go to the doctor if you are worried. The thing that makes me think it probably just needs time is you were fine with sex every other day, but not two days running . To me that suggests scar tissue still healing rather than serious underlying issues.

zombiemeow Sat 08-Aug-15 12:37:55

Yes libraries no problem at all if there was a day or so imbetween.

It's a bit embarrassing as I had been to the Drs a few times about it in the past as it was still uncomfortable at 5 months. It was checked then a few times, I'm starting to think it's all in my head confused it's feeling better today though

LibrariesGaveUsPower Sat 08-Aug-15 13:32:29

scar tissue takes a long time to heal. An internal scan where she pushed on the scar tissue was wincingly painful 18 months later. I think it helps to know the timescales for total recovery can be long.

nearlyreadytopop Sat 08-Aug-15 19:57:57

I had scar problems similar to you. At 6 months pp I had steroid injected into the scar. This really helped with healing. No scar issues now 4 years later just a rubbish pelvic floor to sort out.

zombiemeow Sat 08-Aug-15 20:29:05

Oh no really hmm did it carry on with the soreness after sex?

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 08-Aug-15 20:36:01

Totally agree with pinguina. Also may be worth seeing a pelvic floor Physio as they can really help (I have)

zombiemeow Sat 08-Aug-15 20:41:05

I think my pelvic floor is ok or am I being totally thick? I do the pelvic floor exercises and don't think I have a problem with that, or will it become a problem if I don't get this looked at?

LibrariesGaveUsPower Sat 08-Aug-15 21:06:02

Keep doing your exercises and if it is fine now there is no reason to think it won't stay fine.smile

Ridingthegravytrain Sun 09-Aug-15 07:02:09

Not necessarily to improve the pelvic floor, but to assess any damage and scar tissue and how to break it up. They are far more skilled at what's going on down there than a gp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now