Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

C section question

(21 Posts)
Hubbahubby Thu 06-Aug-15 19:35:52

My wife has been for a pre admission thing today for a planned C section, unless something happens, despite it being her potential 3rd section. They said that they slip a suppository up her bum after the section for pain relief. Now I was there last time and I didn't see anything like that. My OH says she wasn't aware and quite frankly now feels violated (not really) about it! Is this normal? Is it something they do and don't tell you about? Is it new?

(We have laughed about it but are curious...)

SecretSpy Thu 06-Aug-15 19:38:17

It's usually diclofenac, a painkiller similar to ibuprofen. it is fairly standard, but like any treatment or medication they should always ask consent before giving it.

meglet Thu 06-Aug-15 19:40:22

they gave me a morphine one, and told me about it in the pre-op.

tryingtocatchthewind Thu 06-Aug-15 19:43:35

I've had it with both of mine, you have no idea it's going in as you're numb down there. Did you have emergency sections last time? Might be that you just didn't read/hear that part? Really wouldn't worry about it in the grand scheme of what else goes on down there

Fluffy24 Thu 06-Aug-15 19:44:57

They didn't mention anything to me. They do put in a catheter though so a suppository wouldn't have been a big deal.

cathpip Thu 06-Aug-15 19:46:23

Yep 3 sections down and 3 suppositories, was unaware of all three even though I knew I would be having them.

Hubbahubby Thu 06-Aug-15 19:52:53

Last one was planned and neither us removers the oh by the way this goes up your bum talk

But as you say in the scheme of what they do

Hubbahubby Thu 06-Aug-15 19:53:38

Remembers not removers

PavilionGrey Thu 06-Aug-15 20:26:33

No, you don't have to consent, I didn't, and I did my own catheter too.

It is still your DW's body, she has full say-so in everything that happens to it.

muffintop1 Thu 06-Aug-15 20:59:10

I do obs-anaesthesia. We always ask for verbal consent for a diclofenac suppository to be given at the end of c sections, unless there are any contraindications. The obstetricians will need to check down below for any per vagina bleeding, so they will be taking a look "down there" anyway. It is an excellent analgesic, so unless you felt very strongly, I would take it. It should be routine to take verbal consent for this though, and it is part of our checklist of questions pre-op.

PavilionGrey Thu 06-Aug-15 21:07:23

...and you can also decline the post op vaginal checking/swabbing too if you prefer. I did, and had no ill effects.

The diclofenac suppository is indeed an effective analgesic, but remember you are in a hospital, with a line in already; it's not beyond the wit of man to provide you with alternative pain relief if you need it.

LowlLowl Thu 06-Aug-15 21:24:07

Oooooo if they did it to me after my EMCS I didn't know anything about it...... <dashes off to check with DH feeling slightly violated>

TheBossness Thu 06-Aug-15 21:25:16

I was offered the suppository, I declined no problems. I recovered very well, no pain and released from hospital the next day with painkillers that I didn't use.

Hubbahubby Thu 06-Aug-15 22:46:48

That's exactly what my OH did - afraid I did LOL

Brummiegirl15 Fri 07-Aug-15 15:25:35

I've had 3 miscarriages with 2 x ERPCs where I was knocked out.

I got asked if I wanted them and whilst I wouldn't be first to queue up I was of the feeling I would be asleep so what I wasn't aware of wouldn't matter if that makes sense.

But the anaesthetist bless her did say they absolutely had to get my consent.

It worked as well and I couldn't feel anything when I woke up so it does the job

cantmakecarrotcake Fri 07-Aug-15 19:52:38

No clue if I had one with my first emcs - not sure I cared tbh, I was just glad the whole thing was over!

2nd time was an ecs and we had a good laugh with the anaesthetist as she held up the suppository and said she was going to put it in and when I said "Lovely, thanks!" said "I've no idea why I just showed you that". grin It was about the size of a Pregnacare vitamin, btw :-)

It wouldn't have occurred to me to feel violated in a medical setting such as surgery. I'd rather be checked over and appropriately medicated than have something be missed.

Itsbloodyraining Fri 07-Aug-15 19:58:11

Yes. She won't even know about it!!

Loraline Fri 07-Aug-15 20:04:53

I had a suppository after my vaginal birth! I had 2 stitches for a 'deep 2nd degree tear', so not too bad but they did give me one. They did mention it though and I was aware they were doing it. I would have felt it if they didn't as I hadn't had epidural

lunalovegood84 Fri 07-Aug-15 21:05:30

I had an emcs and I was asked for consent first (which I gave, I was so tired though they could have asked me anything and I'd have said yes). Interesting that some people managed without; I'll consider it more if I have another. I didn't know they swab you, why is that?

Nottalotta Sat 08-Aug-15 10:33:51

I m 2 weeks post elcs and had one. Not that i would have known - didn't feel the catheter going in or the supposetry. Its standard I think.

Lunastarfish Sat 08-Aug-15 20:20:22

I had dicoflenac after a vaginally birth. I didn't have an epidural, it didn't hurt and my. Consent was sought first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now