Talk

Advanced search

Anyone any experience of Consultant Led at the Ulster Hospital?

(9 Posts)
Athousandtrees Thu 06-Aug-15 09:00:05

I am looking for some advice/experiences. I am 6 weeks pregnant with dc2. Due to a traumatic birth with DS1 I am booked in to see a consultant in the Ulster.

Has anyone any experience of this? Last time I was MW led so I just went to hospital had scan and a chat with MW and that was it. What's the difference between MW and Consultant?

TIA

HarlettOScara Thu 06-Aug-15 11:38:34

I was consultant led at the Ulster 3 years ago due to high BMI but I had a very text book pregnancy so didn't really have much to do with the consultant. Saw him at booking in for scan and talk about tests for Downs (was over 35). i saw him every time I had a MW appointment at the hospital (only 3 times maybe as I was monitored at GPs between times) and he just checked over notes as there was nothing untoward that needed any more intervention. At one point he actually asked why I was there as my notes were so unremarkable! I did also have an appointment with an anaesthetist though to talk about pain relief options which seems to be something that only happens if you're consultant led. I found that really helpful.

However, my friend was also consultant led at the Ulster due to a previous traumatic delivery (different hospital). She found it valuable because she was able to discuss her concerns and her consultant was actually able to shed some light on what had gone wrong for her first time whereas the hospital concerned had been very dismissive of her. Consultant recommended a c-section for her if she wanted (which she did). Like with me, she saw the MW and consultant at each appointment and had a few extra scans because of her history.

Athousandtrees Thu 06-Aug-15 13:05:51

Thank you harlett that's good to now. I had asked my MW at my booking appointment but she was a bit vague about it. I'm petrified of trying a vb again, I really need to discuss it with the consultant.

Thank you.

HarlettOScara Thu 06-Aug-15 15:14:32

Congrats on your pregnancy, by the way smile

All in all, I had a really good experience with the Ulster, as have many people I know. I hope you have too this time around.

123Jump Thu 06-Aug-15 15:49:55

Hi Athousandtrees, may I ask if your previous birth was in the RVH?
I have had 3 births in the UHD, all midwife led. I used the new 'home from home' for the last one. Such an amazing space, fab midwives.
It is important that you have the birth you want, but you have plenty of time. At your next appointment discuss everything with your midwife, tell her how you feel and don't be dismissed.

Athousandtrees Thu 06-Aug-15 15:56:12

123 no it was in the Ulster. I was mw led up until the actual birth, when ds decided to arrive then changed his mind! My waters broke on the sat, I was induced on the Monday and eventually had him on Wednesday via forceps.

It was a really frightening experience. I worried that I'll be encouraged in to trying a vb again, and I'm not that assertive!

123Jump Thu 06-Aug-15 17:07:08

Did you ever have a debrief? It might be a good idea to go over what happened the last time.
Don't ask, tell them what you want.

Athousandtrees Thu 06-Aug-15 19:48:47

No I didn't. Hopefully we'll talk through my previous notes. I'll have to get my assertive pants on.

bananas4kate Thu 06-Aug-15 19:58:52

I've been consultant led at the Ulster twice due to gestational diabetes. I had two very good experiences and found the doctors and midwives to be excellent.

My consultant was female and I saw her personally 3 or 4 times during my second pregnancy as I had questions. The first time I think I always saw registrars or junior doctors at clinics.

I was told I couldn't use the home from home unit because I was having consultant led care but in the end I got to go there to deliver (there must have been no other room) but I wasn't allowed to stay there after the birth.

I did get a private room on the post natal ward both times - at least then you have a small chance of some sleep!

Hope all goes well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now