Talk

Advanced search

Leaking!

(8 Posts)
whootwhoot Fri 31-Jul-15 14:50:09

Hoping someone can set my mind at ease! I was induced last week and had my gorgeous girl on Sunday. Had a sweep and waters broke on their own although they had a bit of a fiddle to make sure they had all gone (apparently there are two sets of waters? anyway they both HAD gone).
All is going well - I have moderate bleeding - BUT....I actually think I am leaking wee quite badly! Everytime I feel like I am bleeding, I check and there is no blood but definitely a lot of liquid sad Am I incontinent? Or is this normal? Anyone had similar experience or care to share?
Thanks!

FortyCoats Fri 31-Jul-15 15:02:55

I had this two days after dd was born. I was still in the hospital. I stood up at the side of the bed and felt the gush of liquid and though blood but it was clear liquid that began to form a puddle at my feet.

Dd is the only child I've had so I was new to everything and I panicked, thinking I had an infection in my womb and something must have burst. Rang the bell for the nurse and stood waiting for her. I told her there was something wrong with me and I'd lost all this fluid. She calmly told me I'd wee'd myself and that it was perfectly normal in the few days after giving birth.

I was mortified but relieved not to be dying from some giant, ruptured cyst in my womb blush

In my defence, I was only 22 and a first-timer!

In summary: yes it happens but I'm not sure, if it continued, at what stage you should seek support from the HV or GP.

Congratulations btw smile

FortyCoats Fri 31-Jul-15 15:04:03

*thought

FortyCoats Fri 31-Jul-15 15:06:37

I assume it's safe to do pelvic floor exercises whenever you're ready after birth? Stand to be corrected though.

whootwhoot Fri 31-Jul-15 20:10:15

Oh Forty - I'm in my late 30's and have no clue! I had some stitches which appear to be healing well so have started the pelvic floor exercises already as you mentioned. I'm just worried I'm going to be stuck with a constant trickle for the rest of my life! I have midwife visiting tomorrow - will ask her then. Was hoping it might just be some left over amniotic fluid or something like that, but sadly I am pretty sure it is wee!

Mummymidwife87 Fri 31-Jul-15 20:19:46

Get on your pelvic floor exercises.
I advise, starting from today do one PFE every time you feed baby. Next day increase to two, then three...increase by one everyday but don't do more than 10 in one sitting.

Do you have any control of your bladder at all? Mention it to your midwife tomorrow, but I suspect no referrals will be made yet. We tend to refer to urogynae on discharge if incontinent.

Don't fret, do the exercises, it should help. If the problem continues and doesn't improve, see your GP

Artistic Fri 31-Jul-15 20:21:36

It will settle in a few days. PF exercises will help. Over the next few months you should be back to 99% normalcy...100% is possible if you are a regular exercising & fitness person.

I had many close calls with poo too! gringrin

whootwhoot Fri 31-Jul-15 21:16:32

Thanks Mummymidwife. I do have control over my bladder i.e. I am still functioning and going to the loo as normal and I can stop/start stream once in flow - its just in between loo trips and right before I wee, that I am experiencing the trickling. Will definitely mention it tomorrow.

Artistic - I'm a runner so I'm hoping that will help! I cant imagine running a a marathon with a constant stream of wee running down my leg never mind poo incidents (of which I have a couple of my own - non-pregnancy related mind!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now