Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Strange smell down below after C-section

(12 Posts)
sarah00001 Wed 29-Jul-15 15:06:58

Hi, I had a C-section 3 weeks ago and for the past week or so, I've been noticing a strange smell down below. Sorry for tmi, but it's a sort of spicy smell. I'm no longer bleeding, but am getting a yellow discharge. Before that it was a brown discharge and then before that was red blood.

I don't have any pain or a fever so it doesn't appear to be an infection, but I just wondered if anyone else has noticed a strange smell down below after giving birth?

Thanks, Sarah

Verbena37 Wed 29-Jul-15 22:01:49

Can t give any advice as haven't experienced that after my section. Have you spoken to the health visitor? If not, I would mention it or go to the GP to get it checked. However, the yellow discharge I guess could be a lighter version of the brown but I don't know so I think asking a HP would be better.

Verbena37 Wed 29-Jul-15 22:03:46

Alternatively, have you eaten curry/spicy food because I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that what you eat can make you smell differently down below.

hesterton Wed 29-Jul-15 22:05:30

It might be worth getting checked for bacterial vaginitis. Very treatable and the main symptom seems to be odour.

AmazonsForEver Wed 29-Jul-15 22:06:32

I would get a discharge looked at- MW or GP.
However, check your would- it could be a bit pus-y, sometimes if you don't dry the skin thoroughly after your shower/bath then it can get a bit sore/whiffy.
Are all the stitches gone now?

AmazonsForEver Wed 29-Jul-15 22:06:43

*wound, not would!

VelmaD Wed 29-Jul-15 22:07:39

3 weeks post section i would go to the gp and ask for swabs.

griselda101 Wed 29-Jul-15 22:08:14

i'm pretty sure my CS wound smelled a bit weird as it was healing (it was quite a slow healing one), are you sure it's not just the cut healing up and all those bodily things going on?

tethersend Wed 29-Jul-15 22:09:47

Sounds like an infection to me- I had one after both my cses and had similar symptoms. No pain or temperature. Antibiotics cleared it up within a week.

hedgehog01 Wed 29-Jul-15 22:36:28

Please get checked out, I had an infection too, doesn't sound like things are quite right.

sarah00001 Wed 29-Jul-15 22:39:59

Thank you all for your replies. I'll get it checked out in case it's an infection. In the beginning I thought the smell was due to me taking Fenugreek capsules which has a strong curry smell, but I haven't taken them for about 5 days now so I know it can't be that.

I'll also mention it to my midwife tomorrow.

Verbena37 Thu 30-Jul-15 12:05:24

Bit of a coincidence though that you've been taking fenugreek capsules (for increased milk production I assume?) and I mentioned eating curry possibly causing the smell. Defo tell your MW about the fenugreek....it might be quite common to smell after taking the capsules. I'd imagine they'd be still in your system after five days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now