Talk

Advanced search

skinny and problems with childbirth?!

(12 Posts)
Fatty12 Mon 27-Jul-15 21:29:11

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate any advice in regards to this. Basically, I'm 29+5 and I'v always been really tall and skinny (think 5ft 7 & 7.5 stones) down to my fast metabolism; not that I personally prefer it.

This will be my first child and I'm starting to get really anxious about how whether my build would have an impact on labour. Generally, my pregnancy is fine and baby is measuring average but I guess as times getting closer the scary thoughts of labour are taking over.

Has anyone found that being skinny makes labour more difficult or am I just completely over-thinking it and stressing myself out.

Thank you

RandomMess Mon 27-Jul-15 21:30:47

Completely overthinking it smile

Angelto5 Mon 27-Jul-15 21:39:19

when I had my first I was about your weight (same height also) & I gave birth very easily.

I have broad hips & wear a size 8 shoe so that may also help but not sure if it's relevant or just old wives tales!?grin

HirplesWithHaggis Mon 27-Jul-15 21:43:46

I'm naturally skinny, though not as tall as you - just over 5' and shoe size 2.5/3. I managed childbirth twice, wouldn't say it was the most fun ever and ds1 (7lb 12) needed episiotomy and forceps while 8lb ds2 just needed a marvellous student midwife, but we did ok.

So yeah, a bit of overthinking, but understandable.

Seriouslyffs Mon 27-Jul-15 21:47:32

You're over thinking it. Similar physique to you waaaay back and DD1's birthday was the best day of my life, not just because she was born grin but the midwife after her super fast birth asked if I was an athlete.

Wolfiefan Mon 27-Jul-15 21:51:09

I've always heard that being skinny makes no difference. I'm assuming you are worried about pelvis size? You can't tell the size of the inner pelvic space by looking at the outer proportions.
Being fit, well rested and well nourished would help.
--but then I'm a fat gal--grin

Wolfiefan Mon 27-Jul-15 21:51:37

Bugger.
see I can strike through

WhatWouldCaitlinDo Mon 27-Jul-15 22:00:01

I am very small, size 6 is sometimes too big for me - as in size 6 trousers fall down because my hips don't hold them up - and I had two babies with no assistance (forceps etc) or episiotomies from the deliveries.

You can't control it so try not to worry.

SaulGood Mon 27-Jul-15 22:03:14

My v good friend is similarly proportioned. She has a tiny frame and wears size 4 clothes. She has had 4 babies and 4 v easy labours and deliveries. Her last two popped out in under an hour and she only pushed once.

I am a more average weight (BMI of 22) and ended up with 2 emcs.

It was all down to the babies' positions.

You're definitely over-thinking it. smile

Foreverconfused Mon 27-Jul-15 22:06:06

I'm very skinny and both labours were under a few hours with no complications , tears etc....You're overthinking it smile

applecore0317 Tue 28-Jul-15 06:12:14

I was skinny, although had swollen up like a balloon at 40 weeks and am only 5ft 2... 6 hour labour and no pain relief

Roseybee10 Tue 28-Jul-15 14:43:11

I have really narrow hips (33 inches) and managed two totally unassisted births x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now