Talk

Advanced search

Fragmin injections after C-section

(15 Posts)
sarah00001 Sat 25-Jul-15 19:01:42

Hi, I had a C-section on 6 July and I've been told I need to take Fragmin injections for almost 6 weeks in total. It seems a long time and I don't really understand why I have to take them for so long. I had to inject myself when I had IVF and was fine with it, but I really hate Fragmin as it stings so much.

Is it normal to have to take them for 6 weeks?

Thanks, Sarah

Shootingstar2289 Sat 25-Jul-15 19:55:54

I had the fragmin injections for five days after having my son 4 years ago. I had my daughter 10 days ago and didn't have the injections as didn't need them apparently?? 6 weeks does seem a long time..

MarchLikeAnAnt Sat 25-Jul-15 19:58:50

I had them for 6 weeks after birth. Have you tried injecting one your thigh instead?

makeminea6x Sat 25-Jul-15 19:59:02

The injections aim to prevent you having a blood clot, which might kill you.

The length of time you need to take them for is dependent on your risk of having a clot. This is dependent on multiple factors including (not exhaustively) age, bmi, previous history...

I'm guessing you've been discharged by your mw, you could certainly ask your GP for advice.

MarchLikeAnAnt Sat 25-Jul-15 19:59:17

On*

3littlefrogs Sat 25-Jul-15 19:59:51

You must have been assessed as being at risk of DVT/pulmonary embolism.
This used to be the leading cause of maternal death in England until comparatively recently. The rate has gone down dramatically since pregnant women have been routinely risk assessed and given preventative injections if they are found to have a high risk of thrombosis.

They must have explained this to you and recorded it in your notes.

If you are at risk, you do need the injections for 6 weeks.

Ilovecrapcrafts Sat 25-Jul-15 20:01:17

I completely agree with getting someone else to inject in the thigh. I was told to inject mine in my tender has filled tummy & was dreading it. DSis is a dr and told me you can inject anywhere and most people are comfortable
With thigh/ bum

I only did 5 days but again assume that's your risk factor x

3littlefrogs Sat 25-Jul-15 20:02:06

There are other preparations besides fragmin if the stinging is a problem. Maybe you could have a different type.

CoperCabana Sat 25-Jul-15 20:07:29

I had a PE after one of my pregnancies, in week 2 postpartum. My understanding is that the first few weeks post partum are the most risky if you are higher risk. For normal risk, just a few days after being sedentary seems to be the norm.

heatherxo Sat 25-Jul-15 23:37:07

I had to have the injections for 2 weeks pp, as my sister had dvt after both her dd's births, so I was at "higher risk" of dvt. (She had to take them for a good few weeks after her second birth)

weeonion Sat 25-Jul-15 23:43:38

Sarah - I had to do mine for 6 days but there were a couple of other women on my ward had to continue for 6 weeks. I didn't like them,but got dp, a nurse, to do them for me.

Izzy24 Sat 25-Jul-15 23:49:46

Don't rub the site after you e injected- it's like a bee sting if you do!

Most women who need fragmin will only need 6 or 7 days but some will need six weeks- your midwife should explain why you need it for this amount of time.

Injecting in the abdomen is ok if you just take a pinch of tummy at the side, and swap sides each time.

SaulGood Sat 25-Jul-15 23:50:28

Our local hospital gives them to every woman having a CS regardless of history. They said that they should be rolling this out nationwide really.

I only had them for a week (and I used tinzaparin iirc). I have no elevated risk (slim, active, low BP, no history of problems).

GraysAnalogy Sat 25-Jul-15 23:56:42

Yep normal. And the sting is worth it for preventing a DVT, trust me OP.

You can't inject fragmin anywhere BTW as someone said.

guineapig1 Sun 26-Jul-15 00:00:11

Yy to exploring if you can inject elsewhere. My Dsis had to do this for a while after the birth of her DC and her sil who is a GP recommended the thigh which she found much easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now