Advanced search

Delaying c-section

(6 Posts)
LeOrange Wed 22-Jul-15 13:21:00

I am seeking any advice or opinions on my situation - TIA.

Currently 35 weeks with DC3 having had the following labours previously: DS (nearly 7) - long spontaneous labour at 42 weeks, back to back and forehead presenting, so eventual EMCS, recovery was fine and DS was a great little feeder. DD (nearly 5) - born 22 month later ELCS at 39 weeks. She was very sleepy and very small and I think it was all just a bit early for her. She didn't latch well/properly and I had weeks of concerns about weight loss/gain and extra visits from MW and so on.

I have my appointment with the consultant on Tuesday to set a date for the section (there has been no discussion of a VBAC which I am fine with) and am hoping that they will agree to me going to 41 weeks, rather than the usual 39 for an ELCS. Is it foolish for me to consider this? I would feel more comfortable knowing baby had 'cooked' for a little longer, but I don't want to put myself or the baby at risk.

I am aware that the consultant will probably tell me about potential risks involved with doing this - probably uterine rupture being the worst. I don't want to fly in the face of medical advice, but equally want to give this baby a slightly better start than DD had.

MooJay Wed 22-Jul-15 13:26:13

Hope you don't mind but ill be watching this thread with interest. My DD was born via emcs after an 8 day labour during which lots of problems arose. I'm 31 weeks with no2 and have my appt in a few weeks in which I'm planning on asking the same question for the same reasons as you. I mentioned it at my last consultant appt and she couldn't give me a straight answer other than "if there is no space for you at 39 weeks then you'll have to wait anyway so lets just see how you go" hmm incredibly useful.

LeOrange Wed 22-Jul-15 13:31:17

Gosh not at all - the consultant seemed quite shocked when I asked about it at 14 weeks. I think most women are just desperate to get their baby out at around that stage!

misssmilla1 Wed 22-Jul-15 16:44:03

I think you have to consider what the likelihood is of you going in to labour early (i.e. before 41 weeks) is and how they will undertake a C section at that time as a result - i.e. if you go into labour and it's quick, it will reduce the window they have to perform the c section

mrsg1888 Wed 22-Jul-15 19:05:04

Id imagine it'll depend on how far away from the hospital you live aswell. I.e if you go into labour spontaneously will you have enough time to get there and be sectioned.
I'm booked in for 39+3 as it suits me childcare wise and the consultant wanted to book 39 weeks exactly. I only live 5 mins away from maternity tho

LeOrange Wed 22-Jul-15 20:41:53

I am a 5 minute walk from the hospital, so have that on my side. Having gone into labour at 42 weeks with DS and then not felt at all ready to go into labour when I had DD at 39, I do think I am at the longer end of the gestation scale. I don't want to argue for it if it poses any risk. If I go into labour naturally, it is likely to take a while as I never got to fully dilated with DS.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: