Talk

Advanced search

Slow labour / stop-start labour, so fed up!

(11 Posts)
sunnyawry Wed 22-Jul-15 11:01:03

I'm 40+1 with my second baby and getting so pissed off with things stalling. My first was a week early so I already feel overdue, and not seeing midwife for another week. Yesterday afternoon I was having contractions every ten mins but as soon as I got up to do anything they stopped. Same again in the evening and again from 4.30am. If I sit down and relax they start up again. With my first labour contractions just started, continued, and ramped up, then 18 or so hours later I had a baby!! What is this mind fuckery of fake imposter contractions?
I feel like going and hiding back in bed. I know the advice is to remain active but I'm so grumpy now. Is this a second labour thing? How long can I expect this to carry on for?

helgaw99 Wed 22-Jul-15 13:01:17

I am in exactly the same position!

40+6 now with second baby and am going out of my mind.

Every night at the same time my contractions start and then get steadily worse and eventually tail off no matter what I do.

Last night they really were the worst they have been so far but it came to 3 o'clock in the morning and I thought I really need a lie down and they all just stopped. I think if it was the real thing me having a lie down wouldn't have affected them.

I am exhausted and very grumpy.

My friends that I have on standby to look after DS1 are probably all getting quite pissed off by now because they've been on red alert for so long. Doctors told me at 37 weeks the baby would probably be early, so this just sucks!

I thought second babies were supposed to be easier? Why can't my labour just start and keep going? My induction is booked for Monday and I basically think I'm probably going to get to then having contracted every night with nothing to show for it!

Hugs to anyone in the same position!

X

nottheOP Wed 22-Jul-15 13:04:35

Do go back to bed and rest, stop start labour is so annoying and tiring but you'll need your energy soon.

sunnyawry Wed 22-Jul-15 15:25:27

Helga so sorry to hear you are getting messed around by Mother Nature too, but glad it's not just me! It's so frustrating, I got really excited yesterday and was all geared up then things just stopped out of the blue. I do have a friend who said the same as you, but one night, when her DS was coincidentally at grandmas the contractions just kept going and then she had a really nice 6 hr labour. I am also having babysitting issues, as my DS1 childcare is staying with us which is getting fun.
Not thanks for the advice I am just taking it easy now. All the walking etc just seems to make me knackered although I hope it's achieved something behind the scenes.

NickyEds Thu 23-Jul-15 02:40:08

i was exactly where you are last week. I had loads of false starts, cramps, mini contractions, big BH etc for about 2 weeks. It's interesting what you say about our friend sunny because on 3 nights contractions would start at 3am ish, every 10 minutes or so then ease off at 7ish when ds woke up and fizzle away as the day wore on- only to do the same the next day. This happened last Friday morning, then stopped as the day went on only to start with a vengeance at midnight Sat. Very quick labour and dd was born at 5.30 Saturday morningsmile-it was also the day my sister finished work so childcare for ds became much easier so I could stop worrying about him
She was back to back and most of the 5.5 hours was getting her to turn, once she did she was straight out-no tears, really straight forward-didn't even make it to the delivery rooms and had her in the induction suite they were letting me wait in to "see if anything happened".Mw said that all of the BH etc just got me really readyto have her and probably made labour much easier if that's any help.

Bobian123 Thu 23-Jul-15 02:56:00

Another one here who was exactly the same til last week when DD finally arrived-totally feel your pain. I had two weeks of stop/start labour and two "false alarm" trips to the hospital. Also had neighbours look after DS twice and my parents come over (they're an hour away!)

So on my second trip to hospital, I was 2-3cm and the choices were go home or have a sweep and see if anything happens. Went for the sweep as I'd already got ppl in place to help and within 20 mins was contracting good and proper. DD born 6 hours later! So all the pains in the weeks leading up had at least been doing something!

Good luck flowers

ClariceBeanthatsme Thu 23-Jul-15 13:13:36

Stop start contractions is how my labour with dc2 started, over 2 days including my birthday hmm However once the contractions really kicked in it was under 2 hours until he was here.
I had a bath and thought I'll have a good night's sleep then bang they really started with a big one.
All these annoying contractions could be doing something hopefully.
Good luck smile

sunnyawry Thu 23-Jul-15 14:39:47

Thanks for all the positive stories, I really hope I can be the same and get a nice compact labour at the end of it. Mine has completely stopped now so am twiddling my thumbs again just getting BH when I'm sitting down but they're not hurty at all. Hopefully the next proper contractions will be the real thing.

nottheOP Fri 24-Jul-15 13:07:20

Fingers crossed for your sunny. It might as well be today really, a good rainy day activity.

helgaw99 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:21:38

Still nothing happening at my end. 41+1 now!

Induction booked for Monday and am resigning myself to it.

Come on baby!

Bobian123 Sun 26-Jul-15 18:27:03

Good luck with your induction helgaw. Baby has one more night to come out of its own accord!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now