If I ask for an elcs how much earlier than my due date would it have to be???(11 Posts)
Hi I am currently 29 weeks with (5th pregnancy, 6th baby) my 2nd child. And I'm very very very anxious about the birth of this child. My DD (5) was a 4.5 hour vaginal delivery - retained placenta (manual recovery - delightful) and 2nd degree tear. I had a stillbirth of twins in 2012, just under 6 hour vaginal labour - retained placenta again....they tried to come at me with forceps (for the placenta) and I freaked out so they took me roundto theatre gave me an epidural, put up a sheet and used forceps. No tear that time just an obviously very traumatic birth. I had a miscarriage 2014 where I needed 3x dcs on gas and air only - I lost a Lot of blood and had a fair few fits and I can still remember the sounds of the implements that they used on me made, like sharpening cutlery. I haven't been able to look at tongs the same way since... Anyway, given my obstetric history I think I might ask, if I can, my consultant for a c sec - purely because of my fears but and this is the reason I'm umming and ahhhing over it all, I don't particularly want him to have to come much earlier than he has to? Could I organise a csec for my due date? 4/10/15 x help
AFAIK they are scheduled for 39 weeks. Any earlier can carry a higher risk of breathing difficulties. Not sure if they will let them tick over to nearer the due date though, an EMCS would be riskier and a harder recovery.
Hope everything goes well this time, you've been through a lot .
No I don't think they would let you go to your due date due to the risk of spontaneous labour.
38-39 weeks is the norm depending on your hospital I imagine. 38-42 weeks is considered "full-term" though but obviously you can discuss being more like 39 than 38 with your consultant.
I just had an elective c section, performed at 39 weeks. That's the standard for elective sections as far as I am aware.
With my second they said they would book it for 41 weeks, and if I went into labour before then to call them and then come straight in for an EMCS. I had never laboured spontaneously before ( previous pregnancies were a failed induction and and ERPC as my body did not miscarry a long-dead foetus). It didn't work out that way though for unrelated reasons. Speak to your consultant, if you have previously either needed inducing post dates, or spontaneously laboured after 40 weeks then I'm sure they would be happy to book you some time after 39 weeks.
Well with DD she was 39+6 spontaneous labour
With the twins my waters broke 6 days before they were born and I was induced with a tablet - from what I can remember - at 24+6 (my waters broke because the twins had ttts and I had had laser ablation surgery) so I have had both types I think... I'm really hoping my consultant (who I have had a very long and understanding relationship with) will be like yours bonzo and let me do something like that...
Also, I just want to add if I did happen to go into labour - which I'm not against per se - can I have that no forceps/ventouse be used if there is a problem and that they just go straight for csec - is that a possibility???
Have just had this discussion at my hospital, 4th section of yet another large baby. They like to section you in your 39th week, however if you are suffering from severe anxiety due to previous trauma, such as stillbirth then they can bring a section forward to 38weeks but you will need steroid injections for the baby. My section is being performed at 38weeks due to the fact that when dc3 was 10 days old dc2 died suddenly from sepsis, in the ward next to maternity. I am freaking out that history will repeat itself so it's in my best interest and babies that they section me slightly earlier.
I cant wait for the 29th to get here now - I just want to ask her then and there if I can have a due date section...(provided I don't go into labour before then) I don't see how hard it can be to just pencil me in for one, even if its just to calm my nerves. If I get laughed out of the room, I get laughed out of the room.
Why is it life so hard lol x
You should be fine. After an EMCS I'm having an elective this time round. They offered to pencil it in for 39 weeks, but I said I would prefer it to be 40 weeks which they said is fine.
If I go into spontaneous labour before then I can either decide to go straight in for a cs, or just 'see how it goes'.
You can ask for no forceps/ventouse, but sometimes if baby has travelled too far down the birth canal it is safer to continue with an instrumental delivery that try to pull them back up via cs.
I really think given your history they should agree a plan with whatever is going to make you feel safest.
I had a section on my due date - they suggested 39 weeks but I refused as I said I'd still be in work that week (got some funny looks from the consultant for that!). They were fine with me going to term, but I was advised of the risks of going into labour before they could perform the elcs.
bonzo thunder lady thank you thank you thank you - your posts have really calmed my nerves about asking. My maternity leave starts 5/10/15 (so one day after my due date so I'm going to try and see if that works in my favour x we shall see x
Join the discussion
Please login first.