Talk

Advanced search

Successful stretch and sweeps?

(19 Posts)
hannahrkx Tue 14-Jul-15 16:42:57

I am a ftm 40w2d and had a s&s today. My midwife said I am 1cm dilated, and she managed to touch babies head, head isn't fully engaged still 3/5 but she said I am favourable? And she managed to do the stretch and sweep perfectly fine! I did have to sit on my fists to bring my cervix forward, but she said she managed to bring my cervix forward as well after that. She said I have a 50/50 chance of it working, she seemed confident and that if it does work to expect labour within 48 hours! Any similar success stories? Thanks!

scrumpkin Tue 14-Jul-15 16:53:48

First pregnancy it did nothing. Was fairly unsuccessful as my cervix was hard to reach.
2nd preg, boy did he have big hands and he really meant business. She was born that evening.

coneywonder Tue 14-Jul-15 18:49:46

Watching with interest. I'm 41 weeks tomorrow and having a sweep. Was unsure as heard there's no gurantee of it working but keen to get things moving now. Did it hurt?

hannahrkx Tue 14-Jul-15 19:17:30

Coneywonder - no it didn't hurt, felt more uncomfortable than anything. But nothing that is unbearable! Just felt a bit strange!

NickyEds Tue 14-Jul-15 20:27:52

I had one last week. Consultant said that I was between 1 and 2 cm dilated and very stretchy. She could touch the baby's head to which was weird. She gave me a 50;50 chance of going into labour but nothing happened. Boo. I only tell you (not to depress you with a failure story!!)as I wish I'd waited until today (due date with second baby)as I think they work better the farther along you are and given you can only have so many I feel like I "wasted" one at 39 weeks that would have been more effective later. Fingers crossed. Are you as desperate as me for your baby?

hannahrkx Tue 14-Jul-15 20:33:01

NickyEds - oh no! Hopefully mine might do something! I guess I'll have to wait and see! Haha yes deffo! Can't wait for him to come out!

lilac3033 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:08:03

I was much the same as OP. 1-2cm dilated, fully effaced. I had been having contractions on and off. Midwife said the baby would arrive within 48 hours and DD did! Contractions kicked off again within two hours of the sweep.

waitingfornumber2 Wed 15-Jul-15 11:07:41

Nicky, can I ask how come you got one at 39 weeks? My midwife said they only do it once overdue and as I am having my second I won't see her until 41 weeks so did want her to do one next Tues when I'll be 39.

NickyEds Wed 15-Jul-15 13:44:19

Community mw wouldn't do it and have booked me in for one at 41 weeks. I've been consultant led up to 39 weeks as the baby was measuring under the 10th centile and breech until 36 weeks so it was the consultant who did the s&s. I think she did it because I asked her to and there was no real reason why not! So it's my own fault really. I've been having really strong Braxton hicks for weeks, no sleep and an 18 month old who I really can't run around after so we've been stuck in. As my cervix was favourable I honestly think she just took pity on me and gave it a go.

Naty1 Wed 15-Jul-15 13:58:01

I had an attempt yesterday. Dc2 40+1 ivf (40+5 scan). Was almost completely closed sad
So not even attempted. Really surprised not dilated at all as i had DC1 at 39+4 (ivf dates)
Booked for induction on tues
Starting to worry dc2 will be much larger

coneywonder Wed 15-Jul-15 14:50:49

My sweep today was also unsuccessful. She said she couldn't reach it and wasn't going to route around for it. Got another one booked for Saturday and they said I can be induced on Tuesday. Told them I didn't want to be and she said I could be monitored instead

splodge77 Wed 15-Jul-15 21:08:40

Sweeps worked for me both times. DS1 - labour began 12 hours after sweep , DS2 - labour began 5 hours after sweep.

ragelrar Fri 17-Jul-15 22:18:40

Worked for me, but I had three sweeps! At 40 + 2 days, 40+5 and 40+9. I went into Labour after the last sweep, the midwife who did it told me to "agitate it" which I hadn't done with the other two. I walked up a massive hill, and spent the evening on my birth ball, went into labour in the early hours of the next morning.

coneywonder Fri 17-Jul-15 22:29:08

Ah I have another one at 40 + 10 tomorrow so fingers crossed this works for me.

She couldn't reach last time so I don't know how much it will have changed in a few days

Naty1 Sat 18-Jul-15 19:57:46

Well i went into labour at exactly 48hrs after failed sweep. Had baby 12hrs later.
But i was only 3days over ivf due date by start of labour.
In labour i stalled in car to hospital (anxiety im sure) was only 3cm on arrival but got to stay in and they eventually got going again. They did another sweep in labour at my request and i had some blood. It didnt seem to help but eventually contractions got going again

Flisspaps Sat 18-Jul-15 20:18:34

If you go into labour after a sweep, you'll never know if it was the sweep or not - they don't do them until it's about time for your baby to appear anyway.

I wouldn't bother grin

Naty1 Sat 18-Jul-15 20:57:42

I was concerned baby would be large (or I wouldn't have bothered) dc1 was 7,10 a few days early. Dc2 was about 8,8 4 days late. Induction would have been another 4-6 days

Dinotaurrexgrrrr Sat 18-Jul-15 21:02:04

I had a sweep with my first and NOTHING happened, but I wasn't dilated, had a successful sweep with my second, but was 2/3cm, so he could "get in" (grim I know) plus he was pretty brutal, I think if uv started to dilate, and they're reasonably rough, it can def work, good luck anyway :-) xx

eaiand2 Sat 18-Jul-15 21:06:16

I had one and it did nothing. As you described she was able to reach cervix, pull forwards, feel babies head, I was 2cm dilated apparently and a bishops score of 7. Anyways, I had a bloody show later that evening, and again the following morning and got a tad excited. Apparently they can take 3 days to work, so I went in for a second one 3 days later and that midwife couldn't even REACH my cervix, so I had gone backwards apparently. Sucked. Next day I used my feast pump an hour in the morning alternating sides every 15 minutes, then started to do the same in the afternoon and it started proper uterine contractions after only a couple minutes. DD was born the following day grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now