Talk

Advanced search

Will a sweep bring on more painful contractions?

(7 Posts)
Bobian123 Tue 14-Jul-15 16:35:45

Im really keen not to be induced, so am booked in for a sweep on fri. I didn't have one with dC1 and wondered if it counts as an artificial means of kick starting labour? I don't want to be induced because the contractions are forced on and worse than normal (so I've heard). Can anyone share their sweep experiences? Esp if you had a naturally occurring labour to compare it to?

Thanks!

coneywonder Tue 14-Jul-15 18:50:47

Bumping this bobian I'm interested to know too.

CurlsLDN Tue 14-Jul-15 18:58:30

I did have an induction, actually the initial stages (the pessary) doesn't make for more painful contractions as far as I'm aware, it's the syntocin (sp?) drip, which not everyone has if they progress well enough with the pessary. It's not really simply because you are having intervention, rather because huge amounts of drugs are forcing your body to go at a speed that it is not really ready for.
I don't think a sweep has anything like the same effect, as a sweep just encourages your body to release it's own hormones, and will only work if you are ready. The syntocin drip is like your body being put on a running machine it can't get off of.
(in case anyone is reading this who may be having an induction, I'm aware that my description sounds pretty scary, but I actually loved my birth experience and would happily go through it again, I chose to have an epidural before the drip so it was all incredibly calm and lovely)

lilac3033 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:14:49

Sweep didn't make them worse at all! As far as I know it doesn't really count as an artificial means of starting labour. It certainly didn't keep me out of the MLU and most interventions do. Honestly I found the sweep no worse than a smear test. It worked well for me. DD was born 18 hours later.

chickenfuckingpox Tue 14-Jul-15 22:20:41

i had a sweep it was the easiest labour i had (three children)

ive had the artificial induction (pessary drip etc) and found it the work of the devil! but not everyone is the same either way the result was the same one healthy baby a few stitches no lasting damage x

Bobian123 Wed 15-Jul-15 09:54:12

Thanks all for your replies. Actually ended up having our baby girl this morning! Came in to hospital last night but wasn't in established labour so mw offered a sweep and I went for it. It worked!

I do wonder if I'd gone into labour naturally if it would have been different but, either way, she's here now!

lilac3033 Wed 15-Jul-15 10:23:41

Congrats! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now