Talk

Advanced search

3rd degree tear...

(18 Posts)
Shazza19901 Fri 10-Jul-15 21:49:40

Gave birth early hours of this morning, ended up with a 3rd degree tear and stitches sad any advice on how to keep them pain free and healing nicely would be much appreciated smile xxx

Lonz Fri 10-Jul-15 22:22:44

Regular baths, atleast 1-2 a day. Don't put any soap in or bubble bath etc. Use tea tree oil in your bath. Don't use salt, as I saw on here someone said a midwife told them salt makes your stitches dissolve sooner. It's good for wounds but not stitches. Now you're not pregnant, you can take anything for pain, unless you're breastfeeding. I was munching through ibuprofen everyday.
Some would suggest an ice pack. And do your pelvic floors, like they always say!
(Am I right in assuming you weren't told this either?)

Congratulations! smile

lotsoftoast Mon 13-Jul-15 06:38:43

Arnica. Wet wipes. Run a small bath after doing a poo rather than wiping too much. You can take paracetamol and diclofenac (or ibuprofen) even if you are breastfeeding so don't suffer in pain. Take the lactulose they prescribe you as it will make a huge difference

goodnightmush Wed 15-Jul-15 18:08:33

Also think about taking a probiotic as the antibiotics you're on will make you more prone to thrush, which is the last thing you need! Congratulations and best of luck x

nottheOP Wed 15-Jul-15 18:34:47

Keep on top of your meds, don't let the time elapse.

No mad rush back to your skinny jeans.

The wet toilet wipes were good just generally for the bleeding to keep feeling clean.

Don't force the first poo. Just wait and it'll be fine.

I think you do better for getting repaired by a surgeon. My recovery was fine. I had a follow up with a physio who taught me how to do pelvic floor exercises.

Congrats on your baby

GentlyGentlyOhDear Thu 16-Jul-15 11:44:51

I soaked pads with witch hazel and kept them in the fridge - lovely cooling relief on the area.

Don't rush to get up and about - it took me a good few weeks to feel better and if I'd known it would take that long I would have felt less frustrated and upset about the whole thing.

Definitely keep trying to do your pelvic floor exercises - I was really swollen and couldn't feel them for a few days, but they really helped and I've had no problems since (3 years ago now).

Let the area 'air' as much as possible - skirts/dresses/tunics with pants off.

Rather than wiping and rubbing the area after baths, my midwife suggested drying it on cool slow setting with a hairdryer.

I hope you're feeling better soon - nasty tears are grim - I gave birth to dc2 on Saturday and only suffered a small second degree tear this time and I feel bloody fantastic compared to last time!

eaiand2 Sun 19-Jul-15 19:35:17

I took ibuprofen as often as allowed and cocodamol when I really needed something stronger.

Lactulose for a couple weeks (my hospital sent me home with a scrip).

Put a towel down on the bed and air dry as much as possible. Especially if they've given you antibiotics as I ended up with thrush thanks to the tip to pour water over my bits to clean after the loo because the constant damp coupled with the 10 day course of ABs I was on caused it hmm

Babyfeverdrivingmecrazy Tue 21-Jul-15 15:18:46

The same really. Lots of baths. Lay on bed naked and naturally dry yourself. Don't use hair dryer!!
Keep on top of pain meds and make sure you are waited on hand and foot! smile

mrsg1888 Tue 21-Jul-15 15:23:13

Lactulose, sit on a comfy cushion, keep on top of pain killers.
Also savlon have an antiseptic wound wash that I found great for using if I felt sore and wanted to feel freshened up after goin to loo. It was cooling and made me feel clean and safe iykwim

Tanito279 Tue 21-Jul-15 16:37:48

Get one of those ring cushions for piles. I sat on mine for weeks, even in the car smile

muddymary Sun 26-Jul-15 17:57:44

Just do your pelvic floor exercises religiously! That's my only advice!

ImperialBlether Sun 26-Jul-15 17:59:46

Congratulations on your new baby!

caker Sun 26-Jul-15 18:10:05

Instead of wiping after the toilet, use a sports bottle filled with water and a drop of lavender oil to squirt yourself.

applecore0317 Tue 28-Jul-15 06:15:42

Lean as far forward when you wee as you can, it will stop it hitting that area and causing stinging.

Cookiecake Tue 28-Jul-15 06:38:22

Sounds a bit silly but I got a cheap rubber ring( small one) from poundland and sat on that which made things comfier.

Lunastarfish Tue 28-Jul-15 07:07:23

I suffered a second degree tear two weeks ago. Healing has been much better than expected. I don't really have anything else to add to what has been suggested above but this is what I have done:-

* put some witch hazel on pads and keep in the fridge until you need them.
* change pad every 3 hours (if breastfeeding you may get a gush of blood so want to change more often)
* take painkillers regulalry (i. took paracetamol)
* bath at least 1 a day in plain water with lavender oil or tea tree oil ( sometimes I just use the shower attachment to rinse then fill up a jug water and lavender oil and pour it over my bits)
* buy some moist toilet paper - much easier for cleaning up after a poo (esp if you have piles too) I like Andrex ones but sainsbury have their own version.
* air dry stitches each day for 10 minutes or so. i sat on my bed after my bath on a puppy training mat legs akimbo
* try not to sit down on your bottom for too long. Sometimes I loaded the dishwasher/put laundry on just for an excuse/reason to stand up for 10 minutes.
* Feed lying down/onyour side ocassionally to take the pressure off.

Footle Tue 28-Jul-15 07:08:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GraceGrape Tue 28-Jul-15 07:21:57

Arnica tablets and start your pelvic floor exercises as soon as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now