Talk

Advanced search

Section or natural ????

(6 Posts)
irgmama Thu 09-Jul-15 18:06:44

I am 35 weeks pregnant with my second child and today my midwife has pointed out a few. Concerns that make her think a section is probably best for me the reasons being are my 1st was over 8lbs which was quite big for my body size I really struggled with the delivery was pushing for 3 1/2 hours I managed without any medical intervention but I suffered quite a bad labial tear which required surgery the following year as it didn't heal, it still didn't heal after the surgery. At 32 weeks with this baby whilst measuring her the scan computer kept putting her at 34 weeks, there has never been an issue with due dates until then so obviously they are thinking she is big aswell, my midwifes main concern is if I tear again and don't heal again the effects that will have on myself so she has suggested mentioning a possible section to hospital next week, I now have no idea what to think I'm not against having a section but would of liked to go natural again but my midwife is making good points, does anyone have any advice from something similar(sorry for rambling )

Shootingstar2289 Fri 10-Jul-15 06:06:30

If your midwife thinks you may need a section, she will refer you to a consultant who will be able to help you make a decision - if they think you might need a cection.

ThunderboltKid Fri 10-Jul-15 07:37:51

Are you in the UK? Usually if they were concerned about sizes they would induce you early rather than go straight to a csection.

Would definitely speak to a consultant to find out their opinion.

LashesandLipstick Fri 10-Jul-15 09:32:21

Not exactly the same as this is my first baby, but my mum had a very traumatic delivery with me that completely put me off natural birth, and I was told early on that I was at high risk for needing an assisted birth due to a pelvic issue I have. For me, there was no question and I asked for a cesarean. Mine's complicated by the anxiety issues I have though, that was also a reason. I've also found out my baby is large, measuring 4 weeks ahead head size.

However my personal perspective is no one can guarantee a nice natural birth, a cesarean you have more control over. So for me, the section was the better choice and I feel better about giving birth now. I haven't had it yet though so can't give personal experiences. If I were you I would ask if you can speak to the consultant about discussing a cesarean and seeing what options you have.

SaulGood Fri 10-Jul-15 09:36:44

You need a referral to the consultant and a frank discussion based on a growth scan and discussion of available options, including induction.

Roseybee10 Sat 11-Jul-15 09:45:45

If it helps my first daughter was 8lbs 2oz and second daughter was 6lbs 14oz (both almost at same gestation).
I was over 3 hours pushing with dd1 and had second degree tear. About 15 mins pushing with dd2 and a small graze.
Are you in the UK? Have never heard advice like that before. Scans aren't that reliable for size tbh. My dd1 was measuring 2 weeks ahead at 36 weeks but she really wasn't huge. My dd2 was measuring bang on at 36 weeks but was really quite small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now