Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

If you've had a CS, would you automatically be authorised a second?

(17 Posts)
RattleAndRoll Wed 08-Jul-15 15:20:46

Or would you still need to fight?

I had one after a failed induction (3 days and nothing happened). I asked for one in the end as they wanted to repeat the induction process and I couldn't spend another 3 days going through it again. DS was 15 days late, over 11lbs and undiagnosed breech, although one midwife did feel him during induction and said he didn't feel like he was engaged, as a flippant comment, but didn't scan me or anything, just continued to induce me.

Would I have to fight for a section if I fell pregnant again, would they flat out refuse or would it be an automatic option as I've previously had one?


princessvikki Wed 08-Jul-15 18:47:41

Anyone can request a section. I had 1 with my dd in Dec 13 because she was breech and yesterday I requested a 2nd due to my major fears about birth and ending up having and emergency section after a problem labour. It's written in the NICE guildline that it is a woman's choice. I was expecting a major battle but the doctor just kind of shrugged and said it your choice. Then she read out a pro and con list ticked a few boxes and signed. I can't belive it was so easy.

cherryade8 Wed 08-Jul-15 19:37:36

Ime there's a lot of pressure for vbac. In theory the NICE guidelines allow women tge choice, but I've known people struggle to get sections and pressured to vbac.

See if you can find out the policies of local hospitals and attitudes of individual consultants, some are much easier to get authorisation for sections than others (my consultant was very nice and happily authorised a second section, he did say a lot of his colleagues wouldn't have though...)

RattleAndRoll Wed 08-Jul-15 20:25:14

Thanks both.
Well it was easy for me to get my one, I asked, they told me I could die, baby could die, I could need a hysterectomy etc then said shall I bring you some leaflets to read, I said yes. Next thing I know paperwork was there for me to sign and even after asking for the leaflets again, I never got them.
So I suppose that means my hospital might be less strict?

princessvikki Wed 08-Jul-15 21:04:00

They like the scare tactics at my hospital as well. When I was asked why I said I have my reasons and ive done my reserch, I've had one before and know the ins and out of it all and my mind was made up. I didn't really say , I just didn't want to argue about it. They did give me a bit of well you could need a hysterectomy, infection, bloody loss blah blah but they didn't seem to fussed. I'm a pretty determined and stubborn person when I know what I want.

cherryade8 Thu 09-Jul-15 08:38:07

Great news OP, you're right, from what I can tell it's very dependent on the hospital and consultant you get, I've known some people to really struggle to get one. Unless there's an unquestionable reason, like several previous sections that is. Good luck!

Goldmandra Thu 09-Jul-15 08:42:24

I had a bit of a battle but luckily had the letter from the first hospital confirming that my pelvis measurements are such that a CS for future pregnancies would be advisable. They couldn't really argue once they had seen that.

KatoPotato Thu 09-Jul-15 08:42:24

I was given fact sheets on both options and invited back at 27 weeks. Was given my date then x

MrsMarigold Thu 09-Jul-15 08:46:47

I had an emergency c-section with DC1, with DC2 I was under huge pressure to have a VBAC even though I wanted a c-section I knew it just wouldn't happen as I had an inkling DD would be early (37 weeks), I went into labour spontaneously and it was very quick (three hours), I asked but they said I was almost there! I was left with bad tearing and am still quite traumatised.

whohasnickedmyvodka Thu 09-Jul-15 08:56:17

I saw my consultant yesterday I'm 16 weeks and they have said I can have a c section due to a traumatic still birth a 18+3 last year I have to go back in 8 weeks to sign paper work and get my date then also as i have previously gone into labour early I can have one if I'm early

quesadillas Thu 09-Jul-15 09:01:33

I said at my booking in appointment that I wanted another section after a failed induction and emergency with my first. The midwife said that would probably be fine, I'd have to see a consultant later on but that the hospital don't tend to argue. I have heard that other hospitals can be a little more difficult to get your request automatically accepted, but you should be able to.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 09-Jul-15 09:05:51

I felt I had to fight for vbac!
In the end I felt pressured into a 2nd c section.

RattleAndRoll Thu 09-Jul-15 11:40:24

Sorry I'm not pregnant and haven't just had a section authorised! That was me saying about how easy it was for me to get my one when I had my DS, so would assume I could easily (possibly?) get another at the same hospital? This is just general wondering as it was so stressful last time and the thought of what might have happened if the induction worked and I went into labour with a massive breech baby terrifies me. Am only 5ft5. So my trust in them is non existent and don't know if I'd have anymore children if I had to give birth naturally to a possible massive baby - would never have an induction again so would probably go way over and baby would be massive and it'd be awful.

Thanks everyone for your opinions/stories. I suppose it is all dependant on who you get at the time etc.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 09-Jul-15 17:32:32

I'm currently having to fight for an ELCS after an emcs last time. I've had to go on a VBAC course before I'm allowed to see a consultant midwife. Then I have to get the consultant midwife to authorise me to see the consultant. Seems like a load of hoops to jump through to see the consultant when I'm actually supposed to be consultant led. If they say no I'll move hospital, hopefully there'll be time.

Shootingstar2289 Fri 10-Jul-15 06:11:45

I had a c-section with my first due to failed induction, like you.

When I fell pregnant with my second, my midwife refered me to see a consultant who I seen at 23 weeks.

She went through everything and told me the pros and cons.

I could of opted for the elective but decided to give my body a chance!

They won't induce you after a previous section so for me it's start naturally or have another section.

I was due yesterday and have a section booked next week if I don't labour myself

MuffMuffTweetAndDave Sat 11-Jul-15 21:43:17

Different trusts have different policies. Some are a lot happier to agree than others. It can also depend on obstetric history. For example, VBAC is less likely in a woman who's never delivered vaginally before. So you may find this is helpful in making your case. Also, it's not unknown for them to refuse initially but agree later. So if you go overdue again, you're less likely to be suitable for induction because the risk of uterine rupture is greater when there's been a previous section.

Can I ask how old you are? If you're 35+, it's probably easier to find a consultant who'd be minded to agree a section.

poocatcherchampion Sat 11-Jul-15 21:49:42

I had to fight for a vbac too, and then went into labour and ended up with a c section (technically emcs)

First was failure to progress, second footling breech. I am now expecting dc3, we have moved, so I don't know what to expect but I'm hoping there will be no probe with a elcs request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: