Talk

Advanced search

Did this happen to anyone else after giving birth? Warning, don't read if you're nervous about labour...

(36 Posts)
Anotheroneofme Tue 07-Jul-15 12:05:14

Tmi warning, don't read this if you are scared of an impending labour or induction.

I had an induction 6 weeks ago due to hypertension at 39+3 and me and baby are fine. From having my waters broken to baby's arrival was only 5h 20 mins. Easy. Obviously it was painful but gas and air and diamorphine helped. I had a second degree tear which was stitched. I had a pph which doesn't concern me as much as what else happened.

My uterus stopped contracting after stitches were placed. I had been losing golf ball size clots of blood, contributing to the pph. To restart uterine contractions, another syntocinon drip, as used in induction, was put in. When the drip started my heart rate shot up and I started shaking and feeling sick. The midwife called the emergency bell and turned the drip off and 6 other midwives and a surgeon came in. It turned out my uterus was blocked with a clot. They prepared theatre and blood transfusions for me but they werent needed. The surgeon performed a bimanual whereby he pushed on my womb from the outside and pulled out the clots from inside. Agony. The drip was put back on and I was also given iv fluids due to the blood loss.

I was so out of it that its been difficult to get my head around what's happened. I've had to ask dh numerous times what happened and why. I'm fine now just feel a bit traumatised by it.

Has this happened to anyone else? Help me feel less alone sad

Molotov Tue 07-Jul-15 12:13:47

Hasn't happened to me and I cannot offer any advice to you, other than you can request a 'birth debrief', whereby you discuss what happened with your HCPs.

You poor thing, how terribly frightening. Wishing you all the best x

SueGeneris Tue 07-Jul-15 12:23:04

Something similar happened to me only I was 'lucky' that it was during an elective c section so they were able to stop the bleeding more easily because I was already cut open and under spinal anaesthesia though I do remember the force that was applied by the surgeon inside my body cavity. DH said there was blood all over the floor. I had half the blood I lost given back to me plus IV fluids as I felt terrible following the surgery.

I was only saying to someone last week that I was glad it had happened during surgery and how much worse it would have been following a vaginal delivery which sadly it sounds like happened to you.

I think it's definitely worth having a birth debrief and going through it slowly. It sounds very traumatic.

Anotheroneofme Tue 07-Jul-15 12:23:15

Can I? That would help immensely if I could have a debrief. Any idea how I go about getting one? Thank you for your reply x

lljkk Tue 07-Jul-15 12:27:33

I think your midwife could help guide you to get a debrief (one of many starting places).

wow I see why you feel freaked out. It sounds a like a technique to avoid incision surgery, which would be a lot risker & slower. I would ask why they couldn't give more pain relief; in a way they need to know how painful it was so they can improve the pain relief for the next woman in your situation.

Anotheroneofme Tue 07-Jul-15 12:29:58

Thank you suegeneris, I'm glad that I'm not the only one but I'm sorry it happened to you too. Thank god they had you sorted asap.

SueGeneris Tue 07-Jul-15 12:32:41

At my hospital they offered a service called Birth Reflections where a midwife goes through your hospital notes with you and discusses what happened and is able to counsel and answer questions. As lljkk says, your midwife should have more info.

Anotheroneofme Tue 07-Jul-15 12:33:00

Lljkk I screamed at them to stop and demanded an explanation of what was happening in the middle of the procedure as I was in agony and needed to know what was going on. My midwife has discharged me now, would the hv be able to help?

SueGeneris Tue 07-Jul-15 12:37:21

Good luck.

While the rational mind can say 'it's over, I'm here and I'm ok' I think the primitive/emotional side takes longer to process the intense physical and psychological feelings that went with the experience and I hope talking it through will enable you to begin the process of recovering from it.

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Tue 07-Jul-15 12:38:17

Yes, this happened to me five years ago. I had a 5 hour straightforward home water birth, with second degree tear, then had a PPH and was transferred in and had clots removed manually in hospital. I was very out of it too but was given gas and air during the procedure and that was very helpful. I think the reason I felt ok at the time was the amazing midwife I had who held my hand throughout and was so calming and reassuring. I mainly remember feeling relieved I avoided a transfusion - no idea now why I was so fixated on that!

I am so sorry it's left you feeling so traumatised and agree a debrief is a very good idea.

SueGeneris Tue 07-Jul-15 12:38:47

I would call up the antenatal clinic you attended and ask whether there is a birth debrief service.

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Tue 07-Jul-15 12:39:36

Just seen your more recent post - that is awful, just awful

SueGeneris Tue 07-Jul-15 12:39:53

Or possibly even googling 'birth debrief' and the name of your hospital might turn something up?

bikeandrun Tue 07-Jul-15 12:48:19

I would also reflect that the skilled and prompt action of the surgeon may have saved your life and / or your fertility. A different but urgent emergency occurred in my dds birth, that obestrican may have saved her life, I was quite traumatised but so grateful to that doctor( wish I could remember his name) Debriefing with my one to one midwife really helped and feel lucky rather than traumatised now( took a while)

Daffolil Tue 07-Jul-15 12:49:05

I'm so sorry you've suffered this trauma. In my area to get a debrief you need to ring the hospital you gave birth in and ask to speak to the Supervisor of Midwives. Your GP may be able to help offer some advice on services that could give you support. I hope you feel better soon.

Molotov Tue 07-Jul-15 15:15:38

How Daffodil advised getting an appointment for a debrief seems familiar to me (it's been over 3y since I last gave birth). Also, you could have your GP or HV assist in the matter i.e getting you in touch with the Supervisor of Midwives and/or Consultant who delivered your baby.

Please do seek help. You had an ordeal and need to better understand why; what the chances of this recurring in subsequent deliveries (if you are planning to ha e kore children). Most of all, for your own peace of mind.

A big, huge not-very-MNetty hug from me x

Scotinoz Tue 07-Jul-15 18:06:34

I've had two PPHs and on both occasions had my uterus manually contracted (ie the OB/midwives used my belly as a trampoline to get the blood and clots and stuff out). Far more painful than labour and delivery! You have my sympathy.

I've just accepted that's how it was. The midwives did it for a reason, and I'd rather they did it than end up in theatre. It bloody hurt and my belly was tender for a good while, but again I'd rather that than the alternative.

Agree with the others - speak to someone about it.

YeOldTrout Tue 07-Jul-15 19:39:24

I wonder why OP couldn't have gas & air too for the procedure, at least.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 07-Jul-15 19:55:16

Ring the labour ward and ask to speak to a supervisor of midwives to arrange a debrief.

What you've described does happen sometimes. Your heart rate shooting up is more likely to be related to the blood loss than the second syntocinon drip. When a blood clot is blocking the exit it's often not realised that you're still bleeding until you start to feel poorly or your pulse changes as there's no visible blood loss.

The blood clots can sit in your uterus and stop it contracting properly to get back to being kind of firm and clamped together which it needs to do to stop bleeding from the placental site. So any blood clots need pulling out ASAP.

Lonz Tue 07-Jul-15 20:09:21

You need to ring the hospital you gave birth in, ask about Birth Reflections (or it might be Birth Afterthoughts) they will then take your details, or put you in touch with someone. They will ring you back to book an appt to maybe see you at home.

I don't know why they don't just give you a little talk afterwards when you're on the ward (not doing f*ck all else!) to tell you what happened in circumstances like these. I have no idea what went on in my son's birth near the end. It's stupid. I know it would have saved me 3 years of stress and anger if they had just told me at the time before I've had to find the courage to have a debrief in 2 weeks time (like I'm not shitting myself!) and go through therapy.

If you feel it will help you move forward, you should definitely book a debrief as soon as you can, they can get quite booked up. But you might be lucky! Write down any questions you have nearer the time, so you can get the most accurate and beneficial answers you need. xx

Anotheroneofme Wed 08-Jul-15 12:04:56

Thank you for all the replies. I've an appointment with the GP in the week so I'm going to ask about a debrief there. Molotov thank you for the hug smile I had gas and air for the bimanual but it didnt touch the pain. I think maybe the pain was exacerbated by the fact that I had fresh stitches from my tear at the time as well. I am having flashbacks and panic attacks so I think I really need to talk to someone, this surely cannot be normal sad

idlevice Thu 09-Jul-15 00:59:11

I can tell you from my own experience what could have happened if you had not had the manual removal, though not sure it will help in any way. I agreed to attempted manual removal of retained placenta after delivery but it hurt so much they did actually stop. I was then rushed to surgery without being able to say anything to my dp or ds & feeling like I just wanted to be let go. I then had the removal under GA & spent a day in intensive care only seeing ds for feeds, not having had a say in anything that happened to him for that time, which has eaten me up.

I had a week's recovery in hospital but was very weak due to blood loss & the blood transfusions put a strain on my heart, leaving me with an erratic heartbeat. For three years until I got a debrief I thought I had died & been revived in theatre, that I had "cheated death". I'm not posting this to say you were lucky not to have had emergency surgery - there's no hierarchy as to how worse one trauma experience is to another, just for information really as I had so many what ifs & my mind would run away with itself imagining what could have happened etc Hope you can get some resolution from the debrief procedure - it really is the sensible thing to do.

LucyBabs Thu 09-Jul-15 01:11:22

Sorry ladies what is pph?

I had ds almost four years ago. I was high from the birth but can remember clearly the midwife pressing down hard on my stomach and a massive clot came out. I asked the mid wife what this was and she just told me it was normal.

Sorehead Thu 09-Jul-15 08:40:08

PPH is post partum haemorrhage.

I had this after my EMCS. I was still numb from epidural so didn't feel myself passing two fist sized clots. MW explained I'd passed them and called for a doctor/ consultant, who manually palpated my stomach. I was petrified; I was in the recovery room so DH not allowed in, I was throwing up blood and also had blood in my catheter bag (think they were unrelated) so I was convinced I was bleeding internally and going to die. Everyone was really nice and explained what was going on but I was still panicked and my heart rate was sky high.

i was given a mini debrief later that day but went for a full debrief recently and was told it was likely to have been due to the length of my labour and my uterus being 'tired' so not contracting properly.

To arrange debrief, I rang the MW clinic and was transferred to the relevant person.

I hope you get a debrief and get the support you need.

Archer26 Thu 09-Jul-15 09:09:16

This has struck a chord with me. I had a episiotomy and after the surgeon sewed me back up he did something similar to my uterus. He massaged my stomach and removed the clots from inside.

I didn't have any complications as Dr as I know, normal if long birth but I do remember him doing this very clearly. It was agony. In fact I remarked to a friend only the other day that this part hurt more than the pushing!

My midwife was amazing and apologised on behalf of the Dr after as he had given me no warning he was about to do it and I was holding my newborn ds. The pain made me tense so much I was convinced I was going to snap ds and even shouted this out.

I would be intrigued why this was done to me as I assumed this was normal procedure? How do I request my birth notes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now