Talk

Advanced search

Signs that labour was starting

(13 Posts)
tangledtanga Sat 04-Jul-15 14:30:54

Hi just wondering if you had a feeling that labour was imminent or had any signs that it was close?

I'm expecting twins and have felt a bit different the last day or so but its still too early for them to make their arrival yet!

Lonz Sat 04-Jul-15 15:51:09

The most noticeable difference I had was a lot of Braxton Hicks, longer than normal and uncomfortable. Of course I didn't think anything of it as it was my first baby. I also had horrible sharp pains in the front of my pelvis so couldn't walk properly. Took no notice of that either. Then ended up going into labour a few days later at 36 weeks with mild belly ache pain, then suddenly hit with contractions every few minutes. I think I was just knackered a lot and just tired of being pregnant any longer. I wish you luck with your delivery! xx

Northernlurker Sat 04-Jul-15 18:47:14

I didn't have a clue till I had a show tbh. If you're concerned go and get checked out at the hospital, never a problem with doing that.

tangledtanga Sat 04-Jul-15 19:15:16

I'm not concerned really as there's nothing definite, just feel a bit different but maybe just down to the heat. I have a hospital appointment this week so will see how I go until then.

RaaRaaTheLion Sat 04-Jul-15 19:20:31

1) My body having a massive clear out, if you see what I mean. I don't want to go all TMI on you but it was like liquid.
2) feeling very ill and shakey the day before
3) my waters leaking
4) my show

Silvercatowner Sat 04-Jul-15 19:49:35

Absolutely nothing until contractions started. And even then I had no other symptoms apart from the contractions (until birth, clearly).

Runningupthathill82 Sun 05-Jul-15 09:12:18

I had no idea, but DH and the friends I was with that night did. Apparently I was wriggling about, couldn't get comfortable, and was moaning that my back hurt. As well as generally being grouchy and irritable.

When I left the friends' house that evening, apparently one turned to the other and said "she's about to go into labour." And I did, on the walk home.

heatherxo Sun 05-Jul-15 10:50:24

Had lower back pain from the Tuesday night which got worse over the following days.
Lost my mucus plug on the Thursday night, back pain increasing..
Waters broke early Saturday morning, contractions started right away every 4-5 minutes

coneywonder Sun 05-Jul-15 11:28:11

I'm going mental here. I'm 39 +5 and been having period type cramps since Monday on and off but they are getting worse they seem to stick around for an hour or so at a time but they don't get worse or come in waves. Please tell me the end is nigh!

SaulGood Sun 05-Jul-15 11:38:22

Of course the end is nigh coney. It'll be another 2 weeks, max. winkgrin

Seriously, try and think of all those niggles helping to nudge things in the right direction. They might be frustrating but often they're doing something. Other thing is to check you're drinking enough. Dehydration can cause these sorts of cramps and increased Braxton hicks and they can be tiring when it's not actual labour starting.

I had no warning of labour with either dc. I was eating dinner when my waters broke spectacularly with dc1 and contractions started immediately. With dc2 I was asleep and woken by my waters going in tsunami style. Again, contractions followed soon after.

BettyCatKitten Sun 05-Jul-15 11:53:51

Op I had twins at 31.3, started to leak water, then had a small show the next day, then full labour the day after that, starting with feeling like period pains. I had a emcs when I was 8cm dialated as twin 1 breach.
I'd had 2 previous labours and they were all different. Dc1 started with really bad back pains, no front contractions until they broke my waters, I'd felt ill for a couple of days before hand.
Dc2 induction, very intense contractions and painful birth (not much fluid). The twins labour was much less painful, oddly enough, I actually slept until I was 6cms!
Good luck!

heatherxo Sun 05-Jul-15 12:43:40

coney, I had back pain that came for hours then went away, wasn't in waves or anything. Ds was back to back though, all my contractions were in my back once labour properly started

TiesThatBind Sun 05-Jul-15 13:07:18

I am 37+1 and having much more uncomfortable and frequent Braxton Hicks today. Started at 3am but very erratic and not building up consistently. Wondering if this could be the beginning.

With DC1 the first sign was when my water broke, then contractions soon after and DS born within four hours.

Seems like this one might be completely different...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now