Talk

Advanced search

refusing induction?!

(16 Posts)
ButterflyHearts Fri 03-Jul-15 00:55:21

i am currently 40+5 and desperate to go into labour naturally and avoid being induced, i was induced with my first and had a very bad experience which resulted in an emergency c section... this might sound a bit weird but was just wondering what would happen if you kept refusing to be induced? Can they force me to be induced if the baby is happy and healthy?

WaitingForWineOClock Fri 03-Jul-15 07:11:29

They can't force any medical treatment on you, as I understand it, unless you or the baby are in immediate danger. Unless you're over 40 (age) or have a relevant medical condition they are happy to let you go until 42 weeks before inducing, though if all appears to be well you could choose to go longer (though I'm sure you'll get plenty of pressure not to wait). In France I understand that they'll let you go until 44 weeks, so it's not really an exact science.

I would ask for some clear facts around the increase in risks of going over 42 weeks vs the risks of induction, taking into account your personal situation (eg age, health, etc). Don't let them get away with giving you sweeping statements, ask for facts and stats so you can understand exactly what the risks are either way. But keep in mind that the 42 week cut off point is there due to increased risks to you and the baby after this date, there are good underlying reasons for it, even if it's treated as a 'one size fits all' solution.

Anyway, you still have plenty of time left for nature to get going, so I'd plan for the different eventualities by all means, but focus on the fact that in all likelihood the baby will just turn up all by itself. Remember that the 'due date' is a bit of a misnomer, as the majority of babies aren't born on that date at all. It's nothing better than a rough estimate, so being 5 days over isn't uncommon at all.

Nolim Fri 03-Jul-15 07:14:44

I dont think they can force you.

HighOverTheFenceLeapsSunnyJim Fri 03-Jul-15 07:25:14

You can refuse induction. I did at 40+13, was put under no pressure about it (note I had no risk factors). I was booked for a scan to check liquor volume at 40+15 but went into labour at 40+14 so missed it.

Next pregnancy I gave birth at 40+1. Currently 40+1 with DC3 and if I go to 42w again I will be requesting monitoring so that any intervention is done because of an actual medical need in my/baby's case rather than because of the calendar & generalised stats.

Topsy34 Fri 03-Jul-15 07:31:58

You can absolutley refuse induction!! You will have to be strong and have support from your oh. You can ask for expectant management.

Dont forgoet a normal pregnany can go 37-42 weeks

lunalovegood84 Fri 03-Jul-15 11:03:54

You can refuse consent to anything. Induction is riskier for women with a previous c section anyway, as it increases the chance of scar rupture. In some areas, hospitals will not induce for vbac at all. Other areas do, but you should not have to put up any sort of fight at all - your previous cs is a well recognised reason for avoiding induction this time. I'd imagine you could easily get an elcs booked if that's what you want, or opt for expectant monitoring (they might start pressuring you to have a cs rather than that, but it's entirely your choice).

MoreBridgetthanRoxie Fri 03-Jul-15 12:27:19

You can refuse and and I did with DD2. They checked amniotic levels which were good at 41+5. I was happy to wait it out and refused to book an induction date. She came in a 6 hour labour with three pushes at 42+2.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Fri 03-Jul-15 17:00:20

You can refuse. You can also say that you would not be induced but are happy to discuss a planned section. smile

lljkk Fri 03-Jul-15 17:35:04

I thought that induction was very strongly contra-indicated if you had any type of previous CS.

Athenaviolet Fri 03-Jul-15 17:37:08

I refused induction.

I felt it was safer to go to 40+14 than to agree to the standard induction at 40+10.

Baby came naturally and easily at 40+11.

lljkk Fri 03-Jul-15 18:57:42

I'm a wimp who doesn't like confrontations or having to argue my case.

So I cancelled a 33 week appt with consultant (where I knew they would plan my possible induction date; their response of "But we can't let you do that!" was bad enough, I politely said I could actually do that, being my body and all).

I did not book a 41 wk appt with MW just because I didn't want to have her saying "So are you ready to go into hospital in 2 days time, what did the consultant say at your 33 week appt?"

Baby came exact same day it would have done if I had been scheduled for induction.

ButterflyHearts Fri 03-Jul-15 21:52:28

I am SO fed up with this pregnancy now, I'm obviously now 40+6 and can feel my dreams of a vbac slowly disappearing, I saw the midwife on Tuesday who refused to do a sweep as I was seeing my consultant on Wednesday whilst I was there they were concerned with my blood results from a few weeks ago so took more bloods (refused to examine me untill blood results came back) and sent me on my way, got a phone call Thursday to say come straight back in as I needed an iron infusion I was told my consultant would also examine me at the same time but didn't see her at all. Had to go back to hospital today for b12 injection and another one on Monday but at my GP. Im already booked in to be induced on Thursday but there has been no mention of me seeing a midwife or anyone between now and then? I haven't had a sweep or examination and I feel like they aren't taking my vbac wishes seriously. Should I ring my consultant or my midwife Monday and warn them of my plans to refuse the induction or just not ring up the hospital Thursday morning? My head is a mess and I am also a wimp so I find myself being polite to them instead of arguing my case which I know I should do but feel I don't have all the facts. Ahhh heads a mess, I'm hoping and praying madam makes an appearance before next week. Thanks for your replies so far

BettyBitesBums Fri 03-Jul-15 22:04:31

Butterfly, nothing you are asking for is unreasonable.

My advice to women in your situation is that there are risks and benefits for and against induction. We know the risk of stillbirth shows a sharper increase after term plus 14 but it doesn't suddenly fly up and will be different for different people. Many will go way past this with no problems. Induction carries the risks of other increased intervention such as epidural/decreased mobility in labour/malposition/instrumental delivery and with a previous section the risk of uterine rupture increases if hormones are used.

I usually recommend that if you haven't had additional scans for any other reason that you have a placental doppler and liquor volume scan at this point and then offer daily CTG monitoring +/- daily stretch and sweep depending on your preferences/how favourable you are from term plus 14. With a stretch and sweep asap now too.

The best way to facilitate this is to ring your labour ward or antenatal day unit and ask who best to speak to about it with a quick outline of your plans and they should either bring you in to see an obstetric registrar/consultant or the supervisor of midwives.

Good luck!

DanyStormborn Mon 06-Jul-15 21:23:27

My friend refused induction. The midwives and obstetricians were very good about it and said that is fine but we advise daily scans which she was happy with. At each scan they said they were happy to let her go another day until 17 days past due when they advised her that her waters had taken a sudden drop and said she should then accept the induction which she did. I think I would do the same if I went overdue.

BettyBitesBums Tue 07-Jul-15 08:39:23

Butterfly I hope you've disappeared from the thread to have a baby!

MuffMuffTweetAndDave Tue 07-Jul-15 10:33:06

They can't force any medical treatment on you, as I understand it, unless you or the baby are in immediate danger.

In fact there's no 'unless'. If you are considered to have capacity to refuse, medical professionals can't force treatment on you under any circumstances. However dangerous it would be not to have it. At the extreme, it's perfectly allowable for a woman to decide she would rather die than have a particular treatment or intervention, and for medical staff to follow those wishes. Just as it is in any other situation- being in labour doesn't change that.

Induction at and after 41 weeks does, on average, actually reduce the likelihood of EMCS when compared to expectant management. But there may be some reason why an individual woman is different to the average. Or she may be sufficiently against induction that she is willing to accept the greater EMCS risk. It's not one size fits all. And like other posters, I would've thought having had a previous section would make them less likely to want to use syntocin? Because the risk of uterine rupture is greater when a woman has previously had a section. Especially if it was recent, although OP doesn't say when hers was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now