Talk

Advanced search

Home birth in a teeny flat?

(11 Posts)
TremoloGreen Thu 02-Jul-15 19:14:34

Has anyone had a home birth in a very small space?

I really don't feel comfortable with the idea of going to hospital because I hated being touched or spoken to during labour, I just want to be left alone. I stayed at home until I was pushing last time, and I didn't really need any pain relief, but it would have been really nice to have some if you see what I mean! I thought if I had a home birth, they can bring the Entonox to me, but then it'll be easier on my home turf to insist they leave me alone.

The problem is, we're living in a very small temporary flat at the moment, and it looks like we won't be moved by the time baby arrives. I want space for a pool and to pace around a bit, that would take up my entire bedroom if I moved some furniture out into DD's room. I just think I might feel a bit panicky at the thought of my husband, 2 midwives and my Dad all crammed in the sitting room (might feel inhibited knowing there are all these other people crammed in close proximity?) The plan is for my Dad to be there in case DD needs someone and DH and I are otherwise engaged or have to transfer to hospital, but he would be coming a three hour drive, so he can't just nip home if not needed!

WWYD? Have the possibly awkward homebirth or can I go to hospital and ask to be left alone or will that just not happen? I really don't want people in my space while I'm labouring. I wish I could just buy the gas and air off the internet! grin Worst case, I will just do what I did last time, but I did find the transfer to hospital and worrying about having the baby in a taxi a bit stressful.

Topsy34 Thu 02-Jul-15 22:31:08

We have a pretty teeny lounge and i gave birth there. We had just enough room for a birth pool and some space to get round it.

I would guess that a pool might be an issue because of weight bearing for the floor, but otherwise there really isnt a reason why you shouldnt.

The community mw i had with ds had delivered a baby on a canal boat and didnt bat an eyelid!!

Topsy34 Thu 02-Jul-15 22:32:24

The other thing, my mws spent a lot of time in the kitchen and not in the lounge with me as i had specifically said i didnt want to be touched or talked to

Flisspaps Thu 02-Jul-15 22:35:21

Plan for it, and if you don't like it once you're in the throes of labour, transfer.

Definitely worth a go - a delivery room is only small anyway grin

Ashwinder Thu 02-Jul-15 22:43:25

When I was planning my homebirth, a midwife came round at about 36 weeks or so to look at our home. It wasn't an inspection as such, but she wanted the team to be aware of any potential logistical problems - e.g., was there parking nearby, would paramedics be able to get a stretcher down the stairs in an emergency, how big was our bedroom? Obviously, they are obliged to attend you even if your home is very small but I remember her saying that they like enough space to be able to examine you easily and without you having to move too much. And they ideally need a surface on which to write notes and somewhere to store equipment. Could you describe your flat to your midwife and ask her honest opinion?

And yes, do make sure that the floor of your flat can take the weight of a birthing pool!

wickedwaterwitch Thu 02-Jul-15 22:49:08

I had my first in a small flat, it was fine! I couldn't have a pool though because of the weight on the ceiling so had to make do with a bath. Good luck.

TremoloGreen Fri 03-Jul-15 13:24:44

thanks all! really helpful. it soubds like there would be enough space. how would I know if my floor can take the weight though? I would hire one of those inflatable pools.

Flisspaps Fri 03-Jul-15 17:55:34

The guide I heard was that if you'd be happy that the floor would take the weight of 12 fully grown adults, it would take a pool. No idea where that came from though.

Roseybee10 Fri 03-Jul-15 20:45:20

I had a water birth in my flag in February. It's an old flat and held the pool fine.
Midwife came and examined me at 3pm but then went and left me to it as I wasn't in active labour yet. By the time they came back I was ready to deliver so there weren't really any space issues over people hanging about. It was fine really tbh.
I think if it's an older building its more likely to be sturdier for holding the pool. Not sure how a newer build flat would fare.

NotTellingYouMyName Fri 03-Jul-15 20:48:00

Friend of a friend had a homebirth on a barge, so a small space doesn't necessarily mean it's not possible.

CityDweller Tue 07-Jul-15 21:19:57

I'm planning a hb in a similar scenario (unless we manage to move before baby arrives, but that presents its own logistical problems). I gave birth to DD in our small flat in what is now her bedroom. No space in our bedroom for me to give birth, so only other option is our open-plan living area.

Our main stumbling block is what to do if DD wakes up and needs attention or if I go into labour in the middle of the day and she's around. There's no space in the flat for a friend or family to come around and occupy DD while I give birth and I'd feel inhibited having anyone else around anyway. I think I'm just going to go for it and keep fingers crossed that it happens quietly and quickly in the middle of the night, DD stays asleep and wakes up to a new sibling. Or it happens on a day she's in childcare. Worst case, DH has to look after her/ take her out and I give birth with just the mw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now