Talk

Advanced search

How do you know if you've got low lying placenta?

(8 Posts)
spekulatius Thu 02-Jul-15 17:26:45

Had a scan done when I thought I was 9 weeks but I was actually 12 weeks privately and was told that placenta was a bit low and cause bleeding, sex not advised. Had another scan done today and I'm 14+3 but forgot to ask about oosition of placenta. Sonographer didn't mention anything so can I assume that it's all ok now?

addictedtosugar Thu 02-Jul-15 17:35:06

If it was of concern, yes they should have mentioned it. So that suggests that as your uterus has grown, the placenta has been lifted.

Congrats on your pregnancy

ICouldLiveOnBagels Thu 02-Jul-15 18:22:14

The position of your placenta should be written in the transcript of the scan that has all the baby measurements on.

spekulatius Thu 02-Jul-15 21:23:15

Ok they only measured the head to get the EDD. I'm sure they will look properly at the 21 week scan but basically wanted to know if we can DTD.

soloula Thu 02-Jul-15 22:00:19

Mine was picked up at my 20 week scan. Have another scan in 4 weeks when I'll be 32 weeks along to see if it's moved as my bump's grown or not.

Topsy34 Thu 02-Jul-15 22:34:21

They dont check placenta position til 20 w scan. I have anterior placenta so asked lots of questions and she said that at the 20 w scan they look for a 4cm gao from the bottom of the placenta to the opening of the cervix, mine was 5.8 cm and she said that as the baby grows the gap will increase

Skiptonlass Sun 05-Jul-15 17:20:55

At 14 weeks the relative sizes of uterus and placenta make measuring it a bit pointless - it's only at the twenty week scan that the uterus is big enough to make position more clear

If it's low lying at your twenty week scan, you still have about a 90% chance (assuming no previous c section scars) of it moving up as the bottom section of the uterus expands - the placenta doesn't move so much as get carried along as the uterus grows.

If it is low lying then you'll have another scan at 32 weeks and go from there. I'm in this position right now, just waiting for the 32 week scan. If it's still low then it's probable I'll have a section. Not what I would have wanted but hey ho, not much to be done about it really.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 05-Jul-15 18:49:40

As others have said, placenta praevia is officially diagnosed at your 20 week scan. I had PP in my first pregnancy and still they wouldn't tell me at 12 weeks this time
Pelvic rest depends on how low it is - there are grades of praevia, and if you've had bleeds or not. Your consultant will advise on that, but probably only if it's low later on. I can't remember when I saw the consultant exactly but it was sometime after the 20 week and 32 week scan, not as early as you are.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now