Talk

Advanced search

No to induction, what will this result to

(14 Posts)
Onemilliongal Wed 24-Jun-15 17:42:28

I have said no to induction because I was induced with my dd who is 23 months now and after 2 pessaries which were give 6 hourly.
I didn't go I did to go into labour and my waters didn't break but I had a very severe bleed and I was rushed to theatre and had an emergency c section which was very traumatic.
This time round the consultant said I can go for normal delivery but say no to induction, just wondering what will happen if I go over due and has anyone experienced this sort of thing plus what are the chances I will have a normal virginal delivery if I have never been in labour and never had a virginal delivery . I hate the thought of this ending up into an emergency c section like the first one .

bakingtins Wed 24-Jun-15 17:46:48

Can't you say your preference is a vaginal delivery if you go into labour spontaneously before 41 weeks, but that if induction becomes an option you want an elective section rather than attempted induction?

Onemilliongal Wed 24-Jun-15 18:39:29

Thanks baking, I will mention that on my next consultant appointment.

bakingtins Wed 24-Jun-15 19:16:26

www.nct.org.uk/birth/vaginal-birth-after-caesarean-vbac quotes success rates for VBAC of 70-90%. I would have a discussion with your consultant about the factors that led to unsuccessful induction/EMCS last time round and whether any of them are likely to recur.

bakingtins Wed 24-Jun-15 19:20:40

The other thing to think about is you don't have to agree to induction/ELCS at 10 days overdue, you can wait to go into labour. There are increasing risks of stillbirth if you go very overdue but you could opt for daily monitoring. You need to come up with a plan you are happy with in the various possible scenarios.
Good luck!

Topsy34 Tue 30-Jun-15 20:46:58

I would discuss the high rates of VBAC.

You can of course say no to induction, i think its used too much, along with scaremongering.

Have a look at Foley catheter for induction and speak to your consultant about that.

you could say you would consider non medicinal induction should you reach 42 weeks, between 40-42 weeks, you can decline induction but accept expectant management, then from 42 weeks the discussion of non medical induction could be discussed.

nigelslaterfan Tue 30-Jun-15 21:00:25

it's really hard to refuse induction if you're overdue and have anything on your notes that makes you outside some healthy statistical 20 year old having her 3rd healthy baby.

They really really really want to induce you if they can in my experience.

Flisspaps Tue 30-Jun-15 21:06:27

They can really really really REALLY want to but cannot do anything without your consent.

If you decline induction, you can request expectant management and wait it out either until you go into spontaneous labour or decide you would like to be induced.

The choice is entirely yours.

RolyPolierThanThou Tue 30-Jun-15 21:08:00

Yes. In my case I began expectant monitoring and they expressed concerns about low levels of liquor (amniotic fluid, not booze) and I was asked to wait to speak to a registrar.

Who never turned up.

I was already in labour since the morning before, having contractions about 7 minutes apart. No one saw me. Everyone in theatre apparently. Maternity was full. Was told to keep waiting.
Eventually I was found a bed on post natal for monitoring and when a delivery room became free I was put on syntocinon, as id been contracting for about 50 hours now. Baby was born 20 hours later, interventions galore.

nigelslaterfan Tue 30-Jun-15 22:44:31

I was induced twice having gone over my 'ten days' or whatever allowance.... the second time a doctor sat and drew diagrams of the statistical likelihood of my daughter dying unless I was induced.

I understand that the whole obstetric machine is geared towards a live birth at literally any cost. These drs don't want to sit around not doing anything, otherwise someone might notice we need more midwives than obstetricians.
Of course if you need an Obstetrician then great, but intervention leads to more intervention, all the stats show that. So reduce the intervention as long as you can if you want a vaginal birth.

I was induced first time and also ended up with emcs.

Second time I said 'no' to induction and was basically asked to pick my date for ELCS. They'd have done it at any time after 39 weeks. I booked elcs for 41 weeks, still hoping to go into labour naturally beforehand.

Im 99% certain my consultant said they won't induce someone who's had a section.

BirdInTheRoom Tue 30-Jun-15 23:46:27

If you have had a previous c-section they will offer to induce you if that's what you want, but by no means is it expected or forced on you. Book c-section at a date you are comfortable with as a back up plan if you don't go into labour by yourself.

pullthecracker Wed 01-Jul-15 06:29:18

Am I right in understanding that the consultant said he will NOT induce you? You have a good chance of going into spontaneous labour, and a good (can't give you exact numbers) of a normal vaginal birth, as there were no structural things with your pelvis or anything that stopped it last time.
If you do want to be induced, there will be another consultant in that unit who WILL induce you, a lighter dose is used for previous sections. Usually just one of the pessaries that you had last time. If you do have the drip too, it's only very low dose. Due to the scar on your uterus, there's a lot less pressure put on forcing labour, if it's not working on a low does, they won't push it.
You will need to think A) what you want to do if you don't go into labour, either induction or elscs, and B) will you be happy to have a section if the induction fails. Bear in mind that it wouldn't be as much of an emergency one in that case as last time, so you wouldn't feel just as out of control of the situation.

All the best.

chancer2014 Wed 01-Jul-15 07:04:55

With dd1, She was 11 days overdue. Vaginal pessaries x 2 didn t work -Had an elective caesarian. Wanted to try a vaginal delivery for dd2 and since I wasn t convinced pessaries would work, opted for a Foley Cathether at 13 days overdue. This didn't start labour either so had the drip. Dd was born in1.5 hrs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now