Talk

Advanced search

Spd and induction...any help?

(21 Posts)
Shazza19901 Tue 23-Jun-15 12:27:46

Hi all
I'm currently 37+4 first baby and have the most horrific spd pain. I can't move my legs, walking is almost un bareable , not sleeping and my back feels like it's going to snap. I also keep getting dizzy spells and shooting pains through my abdomen (not sure if it's related). I'm seeing my midwife tomorrow and wandering if she would maybe offer induction. I'm normally a patient person and would prefer baby to come when good and ready but I'm really struggling at the moment. I'm home alone all day every day as OH works and I'm not sure how much longer i can cope. Anyone with sever SPD been induced or am I just being too much of a whimp?confused

CityDweller Tue 23-Jun-15 12:32:38

Have you seen a physio (or chiropractor or osteopath)? Ideally one who is recommended and that deals specifically with pregnant women or women's health issues.

FernGullysWoollyPully Tue 23-Jun-15 12:32:53

They refused to induce me early when I had spd with number 3. I really sympathise with you, I was to the point of crawling around in pain, it was too late for me to get any physio by the time I acknowledged how agonising it was.

Turns out, I was induced but it was because I went to 11 days overdue not for the spd.

They refused my SIL as well with her last baby.

I can only suggest that you ask and hope for the best.

sherbetpips Tue 23-Jun-15 12:36:48

sorry as I am sure you have found through most of the pregnancy as long as baby is okay mum will have to struggle on. I had it for most of the pregnancy but particularly bad for the last 4 weeks - as Fern said, ask the question but be prepared to wait it out.

Shazza19901 Tue 23-Jun-15 12:39:09

I had a little physio when I first got diagnosed (think I was 28 weeks) it got better and they told me I didn't need to continue, but the past week it's come back twice as bad, I'm crying out in agony. I also got the support belt which does nothing besides make me more uncomfortable. Making me really miserable

CityDweller Tue 23-Jun-15 12:40:30

Don't use the support belt if it makes it worse - sounds like something is 'out of joint'. Can you go back to the physio? Worth paying to go private if you can afford it.

Shazza19901 Tue 23-Jun-15 12:42:53

if I get told no then hopefully physio will see me again, if not I don't mind paying as long as it helps. Either way not too long to go, just tired of struggling on sad

HelenF350 Tue 23-Jun-15 12:43:04

I got offered induction at 39 weeks but also had 3 small unexplained bleeds.
I chose not to take it as there risks to your pelvis with induction that I didn't feel outweighed the benefits.

coneywonder Tue 23-Jun-15 12:57:11

From my experience physio didn't help. I see a pregnancy chiropractor and she's made me go from unable to walk to do it practically pain free. I'm still in a lot of pain at night though. I'm 38 weeks and they won't induce me because of it. Maybe try a chiropractor xxx

Shazza19901 Tue 23-Jun-15 14:23:45

Chiropractor was next thing on my mind but I'll just wait and see what the midwife has to say. Thanks for your help ladies x

saturnvista Wed 24-Jun-15 08:33:38

You must get treatment, it's never too late. If the practitioner has told you that, you're speaking to the wrong practitioner. I strongly suggest that you google pelvic partnership and call the lovely Sarah on their helpline.

Regarding an induction, it's not true that you can't give birth early due to spd. It depends how much pain you're in, which doctor you see and how much of a fuss you make. I've spoken to women who were induced much earlier than you are because of it. But then they might have been in more pain. I had a C section at 38+6 because of spd. I'm not sure that I would ever have chosen to have an induction though and certainly wouldn't have tried a natural birth without manual therapy. An induction speeds everything up and is potentially harder on the pelvic girdle than a natural birth. It's not an ideal situation for someone with your problem. I really would travel to privately see whoever Sarah from pelvic partnership recommends. You can't afford to play around with spd that is severe as yours. Many women think they know what you're talking about because the less severe form of it is very common, but actually they are two very different conditions.

TheFairyCaravan Wed 24-Jun-15 08:39:21

I was induced at just over 36 weeks because of my SPD. I'd been in a wheelchair/bed for 10 weeks by then, prior to that I'd been on crutches since 19 weeks.

Unfortunately it didn't work, they had 3 goes, but DS2 was born at 37 weeks following a sweep.

chandelierswinger Wed 24-Jun-15 08:58:00

flowers It's awful isn't it? I remember it only too well.

At 37 weeks, I was offered an elcs shock as they preferred to do that that an induction due to the "unknown" factor. I turned it down and hung on til 40 weeks, when they said they would induce me... Took three attempts and I ended up with an emcs anyway hmm I know it seems horrendous right now but try to avoid the induction if you can.

Unlike a pp who was in a wheelchair, I was only on crutches, but I really did hobble in very slowly and painfully to the hospital on them and walked out (a little wobbly but much much better!) when DS was a few days old. I had an amazing (private) physio who did manual therapy on me, but she was very clued up and I trusted her. I also had occupational therapists involved and was loaned all manner of contraptions to make life easier (frame for toilet, contraption for bath, lever for getting in/out of bed) and they really made the difference. I am so sorry to hear you've been given such crap "advice". It winds me up no end that women are left to struggle unnecessarily.

Shazza19901 Wed 24-Jun-15 18:17:58

Got referred to the physiotherapist again, who can't see me for 2 weeks (I'm due in two weeks angry) really don't think I can cope! The midwife did say that if the pain was bothering me that much to go to labour ward and they will assess me. I really don't understand confused just want to be pain free

CityDweller Wed 24-Jun-15 18:50:06

Can you see a Physio or chiro privately? Worth it, in my opinion

chandelierswinger Wed 24-Jun-15 19:00:12

Defo agree about trying to see someone sooner, privately. I really hope you can find some relief... but feel obliged to tell you even an amazing physio won't be able to get you pain free... sad

Shazza19901 Wed 24-Jun-15 22:17:12

Thinking a chiropractor may be on the cards, but then again is it really worth the money when bambino could be out in a week or two?

saturnvista Wed 24-Jun-15 23:45:29

I've said it again and I'll say it before. You need to see someone experienced in manual therapy who has a proven track record of successfully treating the severe, long-term variety of SPD. Sarah at Pelvic Partnership will be able to give you the name and number of someone close to you who will probably fit the bill, but you'll have to pay. If you decide to go for a section straight away, it will have done no harm at all to have started rehab a few weeks early, especially since manual therapy at all is a plus before the trauma of delivery, whatever the type.flowers

hibbledibble Thu 25-Jun-15 00:31:22

shazza if it is bothering you so much then yes, it is worth the money.

A word of caution regarding induction, it is truly horrific. A normal labour is a walk in the park in comparison. (Yes, I have had both)

In your situation I would rest lots and wait for labour.

CityDweller Thu 25-Jun-15 09:26:08

Get it treated, even if you do only have 2 weeks. SPD less likely to return after birth if it was treated in first place.

Beckyk91 Thu 25-Jun-15 09:56:56

I would get yourself sorted asap...

I suffered with what my doctor described as a sciatic nerve pain in my 2nd trimester which I managed quite well I was told it would go after pregnancy and it was just the extra weight of the baby pushing on nerves. After having my daughter who was prem born at 34 weeks but only measuring 28 weeks (2lb 11oz) and delivered by emergency c-section the pain slowly got worse. I was having physio at my doctors which wasn't helping. I was back and forth to the doctors, giving me different pain relief... I swear I have had every pain relief (apart from morphine) and the pain still comes and goes as it pleases more so when I walk anywhere, I cannot walk far without suffering... I am writing this whilst I have a heated pad wrapped around my feet as they are throbbing and I only took my daughter the park for an hour yesterday. Anyway eventually they sent me for a mri scan but it showed nothing but slight wear and tear on my sacroiliac joint. The doctors I seen basically made out it was all in my head as I suffer from depression. I kept going back and pushing because I knew the pain wasnt right, I was eventually sent to a pain clinic and diagnosed with PGP .

My daughter is now 18 months old and I am in horrendous pain daily, I have been having physio and acupuncture at our local hospital which has only made my pain worse. I get extreme pain in my back, buttocks, hips, legs, feet and sharp shooting pains in my lower abdomen. I still do not understand how I can be suffering with PGP 18 months after having my daughter, she was a premature baby so she wasn't big. I think doctors and medical professionals should know more about PGP as I am still left clueless and in agony.

I would get yourself sorted sooner rather than later cos theres a good chance the pain will get worse, thinking of all u woman who are suffering xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now