Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else group b strep positive?

(10 Posts)
Bobian123 Mon 22-Jun-15 13:24:44

At my 10 week appointment, the mw suggested I get tested for group b strep from 35 weeks. Some trusts offer the tests, but most don't. It's a £35 fee and the mw said its worth it as if you test positive it can pass onto your baby during birth.

So I did it at 36 weeks and both swabs are positive. The medical company said I'd need antibiotics now, the mw says I don't unless it's in my urine (not yet been tested). According to the GBS website, mothers should be offered intravenous antibiotics whilst in labour but again my mw said they'd just monitor me/baby. I'm a bit confused! I'm glad it doesn't seem to be something to panic over, but why strongly recommend getting the test if nothing actually happens when you're found to carry it?

Has anyone else had GBS? What advice did you get? Thanks!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 22-Jun-15 15:35:48

I had GBS in my last pregnancy, picked up in a NHS urine test. They were going to do an antibiotic drip during labour, but I ended up needing an emcs before labour started so it never came to it. And they put stickers on my notes so that when I went in they'd know. They also monitored DS for 24 hours I think, but again I was in ages anyway for other reasons in the end.

WiIdfire Mon 22-Jun-15 15:42:28

I had the private test and it was positive. You dont need antibiotics now, but you do need them in labour (unless elective c-section). The idea is to have at least two doses of antibiotics 4 hours apart during labour, so you need to call delivery sooner than you would otherwise have done.
I got my info from the GBSS website and all the midwives and doctors I've seen have agreed with it. Am still 38+5 though, so haven't been through the process myself yet!

Bobian123 Mon 22-Jun-15 17:11:17

Thanks both! I'll tackle this in a bit more detail with mw so I'm really clear. I've been told this labour is likely be be quick (fast 1st labour) so not sure what that means for the drip either!

Good luck wildfire!

RevsDeCub Mon 22-Jun-15 17:18:51

I have no advice to offer & im sorry for highjacking the thread but I'm 29 weeks & looking to get the test online. What websites did you use to purchase it? I don't to go on a dodgy one accidently.

Bobian123 Mon 22-Jun-15 17:43:10

Hi revs- head to www.gbss.org.uk and there are a selection of companies they recommend. I used one called medichecks. It's not massively straightforward but worth doing!

Roseotto Mon 22-Jun-15 19:15:28

The midwife is wrong - you should be "offered" abx in labour if a swab is +ve. If it's found in your urine you are higher risk and "strongly advised" to take them. If there is not enough time in a fast labour the baby should be observed for 24hrs minimum (they don't recommend direct abx as standard any more). But you are still recommended to take them.
There is a good flow chart on the GBSS site that sets it all out.

Bobian123 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:26:30

Thanks roseotto-that's exactly what I thought after reading through the info. I have an appt with the mw tomorrow so will be discussing it much more thoroughly!

WiIdfire Mon 22-Jun-15 20:50:39

I used medisave - link on the GBSS website. Ordered it on Tuesday, it arrived Friday, I sent it back that day and has the result by Monday, so very quick.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 22-Jun-15 21:05:27

I had the test, tested positive, and had IV antibiotics during labour. Three lots, IIRC, as the labour went on for so long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now