Talk

Advanced search

Just booked my home birth assessment visit with the MW - what questions should I ask?

(9 Posts)
BotBotticelli Thu 18-Jun-15 16:45:32

MW coming round next week to "talk me through the pros and cons of a homebirth" - her words not mine! I have done a lot of research on the subject and have decided to give it a try with DS2 who is due in 5 weeks.

So not sure I need more running through the pros and cons but I guess they have to tick this box.

I had a normal vaginal birth with ds1 in hospital and figure if it goes similarly then I could do it at home - loved the gas and air!

What questions should I be asking the MW?

mooma3 Thu 18-Jun-15 17:01:51

be interested in this too as hoping for a home birth for number 3

Roseybee10 Thu 18-Jun-15 18:25:19

I would ask about

What instances would you be transferred in
What third stage do they suggest for home births (natural or assisted)
Are they happy with water births (if u want one)
What would happen if someone wasn't available from that team when you went into labour

Flisspaps Thu 18-Jun-15 18:31:17

What are the MW team's preferred biscuits (so you can get some in for them to munch while you're busy with the entonox grin)?

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 18-Jun-15 21:35:09

Staffing levels for homebirth. Where does the second mw come from. What equipment do they deliver in advance. What do you need to provide?

BotBotticelli Fri 19-Jun-15 08:07:01

Ah yes thank you that's a good point about staffing levels - I guess some question along the lines of "how likely is it you'll be able to staff a homebirth? How often do wannabe homebirthera have to go to the MLU because there's not enough staff available? Would be a good question to start with! (Busy south London Trust, not sure how set up they are for this!)

Flisspaps Fri 19-Jun-15 15:04:49

If they do say there may be issues re staffing a homebirth due to MW numbers, AIMS have some very useful resources you can use.

formerlyofLadysmith Sun 21-Jun-15 22:02:24

which south London trust? KCH has a dedicated homebirth team.

Wigeon Sun 21-Jun-15 22:09:32

Definitely definitely ask about staffing. And then ask whether there are any particular days/times you won't be able to have a HB. I had a planned HB with full support of the MWs, was told (when I specifically asked) that there would be no staffing problems, but when I went into labour at a predictable 40 weeks, and rang for a midwife at 11am on a Saturday, I was told there was no one available to come out to me as there was a clinic, and it would have to shut if they came to me.

Since I was in v established labour, I felt I had no option to go to hospital. Still disappointed 4 years later, would have much preferred to be at home as I was the ideal candidate (2nd pregnancy, low risk, near enough a hospital if I needed to transfer, detached house so not concerned about the noise!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now