Talk

Advanced search

bowels following labour

(11 Posts)
city8269 Sat 13-Jun-15 05:04:58

Recently had a baby (few days ago). Had to be induced, ventouse then forcepts. Had two degree episiotomy.

I am having some 'bowel urgency', I.e. I get a few minutes notice to run to the loo before there is an accident.

I am doing pelvic floor exercises and things seem to have improved slightly. I have pains in bottom and am black and blue.

Had mw visit, she said relax it's early but not that all would be normal.

Any experience with this? I'm terrified and feel like can't leave the house! How would I go back to work?

Thanks!

Brambles35 Sat 13-Jun-15 05:24:07

I had exactly the same!! I had no idea and was petrified that I had some kind of damage and was going to stay like that. I didn't, it does pass and normality resumes, I promise :-)

pinguina16 Sun 14-Jun-15 14:36:15

Hi City8269,
Feacal incontinence or urgency and loss of wind control doesn't seem to be covered in a lot of antenatal classes. Forceps alone can do enough nerve damage to make a new mother faecal incontinent following birth.

I had a similar (yet different) birth (2 failed ventouse then episiotomy + forceps) which resulted in PPH + unrepaired 2d degree tear, faecal incontinence, urine retention and prolapse.

5 days of faecal incontinence, weeks of urgency and months not being able to control my wind. I does get better (you will be able to go back to work) but it takes time and proper pelvic floor exercises. Personnally I would push to be seen by a women's health physio (my WHP thinks all women who had instruments should be checked-obviously that's not what happens in reality). They will assess the "damage" and guide you with the exercises.

My view is that if you can't stand up for longer than 15/20 minutes or can't walk further than a mile, it means you are seriously injured. If this is the case, you won't be able to walk normally for 3 months and it will be 6 months before you feel vaguely normal. I don't want to placate what I went through on your story but if you are in a similar position my advice would be to get help (someone with you most days) for at least 3 months. Not so much to help with the baby but to help you with everything else and particularly getting to medical appointments.
I'm sorry your birth was physically traumatic. Things WILL improve but it will take time.

PS in my case midwives were "useless" regarding my injuries. They acted as if everything was normal when clearly it wasn't. Same with first physio I saw. I complained and changed physio and then yes, it was acknowledged I was seriously injured. In your case, faecal urgency (and I'm guessing not being able to control your wind) is serious. Don't let healthcare professionals tell you that everything's normal. Your birth was not "normal" and even if things get much better (they will), you are not "recovering" just like all other women. You have specific problems that require attention and will partly "interfere" with caring for your baby (what I mean is that your mountain is now slightly higher to climb than most mothers).

Take it easy. I wish you all the best.

Taleggio Sun 14-Jun-15 15:02:23

I ended up with similar injuries nearly 4 years ago. I think the advice I was given then was wait 6 months to see how you heal, then given referrals to physio as well as to a colorectal surgeon to see if surgery can help.

If you don't get this and still need help, do speak to your gp about getting a referral. You don't have to cope with this and it will get better.

Keep an eye on what you're eating. I've found cutting out high fibre food (shreddies, wheat-based cereal) really helps as it firms everything up. And lots of pelvic floor exercises.

Good luck

pinguina16 Sun 14-Jun-15 15:10:09

Just for other readers. NHS Choices page on assisted delivery outlining some of the risks. I wish they explained the rehabilitation process that can follow.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/ventouse-forceps-delivery.aspx

waceystills Sun 14-Jun-15 18:28:25

I thought my insides were going to fall out at one point. It does get better, honestly!

ChickenMe Wed 17-Jun-15 11:06:19

I had this. I had an induction-failed ventouse-forceps(Neville Barnes) and 2nd degree cut. 13w ago. About a week later I noticed I had no bladder sensation and bowel urgency. It's nerve damage. I was also bruised downstairs and it's all stretched. My baby was back to back so that didn't help.
The bladder sensation was like I had no sense of whether bladder was full or not-I do now. With the bowel I still have urgency and after I have done a number two I can't hold in a fart at all but it's not as bad.
Don't let yourself get constipation is my advice. I have a tear or a pile now cos I got so constipated its awful.

Electroswing Thu 18-Jun-15 10:35:01

Hi city.

I had a back-to-back labour, whacking episiotomy and forceps delivery. For a few days afterwards I had no sensation of bladder fullness, meaning I'd just suddenly start weeing when I needed to go. I also couldn't control wind at all.

Within a week or so everything was a lot better, and 4 weeks later I'm now almost completely back to normal (just the normal pelvic floor weakness, meaning I have to be a bit careful when I sneeze . . .) Bowels are no problem at all.

Keep doing your Kegels, they'll help. Hope you're back to normal soon! smile

5YearsTime Thu 18-Jun-15 10:48:18

I would say normal. I had no instruments or stitches and I still had wind and an urgency to go! Especially bad when crouched down (like putting washing in the machine). It got gradually better up to week 10 when I felt more normal!

city8269 Fri 26-Jun-15 04:45:56

Thanks everyone! I had an accident yesterday - mortifying. I thought things were getting better (they were, I can control farts etc) but had diarrhea and was walking home... didn't make it.

I definitely don't think the Midwives are taking things seriously. I can't sit down! I know it's early days but it's pretty scary and I want it sorted!

Have been doing PFEs, but my butt hurts! Think I need an ultrasound to see if there is a tear in anal sphincter.

Taleggio Mon 29-Jun-15 22:26:38

You poor thing. That is rubbish. Make sure you've always got some spare knickers in your bag in case you need them.

I had an accident cycling to work, and had to get some new knickers in town once I got there. It was horrible!

Keep on at your midwife and your GP. It might be worth mentioning that my physio accepted a self referral...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now