Talk

Advanced search

sweep

(12 Posts)
HappyLucyLou Tue 09-Jun-15 20:09:33

Can a sweep bring on labour immediately? Anyone experienced this? If you have one at 2/3 or 3/4cm

FructoseTart Tue 09-Jun-15 20:11:52

Yes! I had a sweep at 2cm, contractions started immediately waters broke within 20 minutes and DD was born 3 hours later!

HappyLucyLou Tue 09-Jun-15 20:53:19

Wow! Was that your first child??

happybunny2014 Tue 09-Jun-15 21:36:25

Not for me, (DD2) I had one earlier today and was 3/4cm when they did it. Nothing bar some mucus plug and plenty of back ache for me I'm afraid. The doctor did say she could feel my waters bulging though! Suppose it depends!

FructoseTart Tue 09-Jun-15 21:36:48

Not my first no, my second. My first labour was over 12 hours and ended at 2cm dilated and an emergency c section.

hagred Tue 09-Jun-15 22:01:28

I had 2 sweeps with DS1, the second was 4 days before he was born and I was told I was 3cm.

Sleepingisgivingin Tue 09-Jun-15 22:07:54

My second was born after a sweep at 41weeks, I'd had at least one previously.

I woke and thought my waters had gone, they hadn't but a had a sweep and contractions started a few hours later.

Dc1 and dc3 were both induced at 42weeks after a number of sweeps that didn't work. So number2 could've just been lucky.

firstcomeslove Tue 09-Jun-15 22:09:52

Yes I had a sweep and by the time I drove home from the doctors I was getting back pain. I had a show then the pains developed into contractions. DD was born 11.5 hours after the sweep. I was already 3cm when I had it though and she was my second baby.

L0gLady Tue 09-Jun-15 22:13:29

I had a sweep 4 days before due date, which caused bleeding and cramps and lead to nothing, then 3 days past due date (4pm on a Friday), labour started early hours Sunday, DS born 6pm Monday smile

Roseybee10 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:55:36

I had a sweep at 3cm while in early labour with dd2 (during an exam to assess progress) It ramped up my contractions immediately and my waters went twenty minutes later. Dd was born 2.5 hours later lol.

backtowork2015 Wed 10-Jun-15 20:30:52

I popped in for a sweep 4 days post due date after doing the sainsburys shop about midday, they said I was 4cm already and were a bit funny about letting me leave as I was on my own! I got home fine, unpacked the shopping, went out for a meal with dh and dd about 4pm, started getting a few early contractions whilst at the restaurant. went to hospital at 11pm where they found I was 8cm! it should have been plain sailing from there but ds got into a bad position and ended up being born by forceps at 10:30am the next day. At 4cm full on labour was 12 hrs from sweep for me though.

avocadotoast Thu 11-Jun-15 09:30:16

I had a sweep on a Thurs morning, had already been having contractions since Wednesday morning. It hurt like fuck. Midwife said "oh you're 3cm dilated, I imagine you'll have this baby by tonight".

We ended up not going to hospital until Friday night and DD was born Saturday afternoon. So for me it didn't do much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now