Talk

Advanced search

How to avoid scar infection after c section?

(12 Posts)
Tranquilitybaby Sun 07-Jun-15 08:23:27

I had a mild wound infection after my last ELCS 10 years ago that fortunately was cleared up with treating with just salt water)

I know have a skin overhang and I'm worries I'll end up with another infection after this ELCS in a week.

If be grateful of any tips on trying to prevent infection as the scar heals please.

starfish12 Sun 07-Jun-15 09:09:20

Best thing to do I would have thought is to keep the area clean and dry. The midwife can visit you every day at home if needs be to check your wound.
You might want to consider taking arnica to help with internal healing. Also some people swear by manuka honey to help with healing (eat it don't apply direct!).
Good luck with your impending arrival!!!

123Jump Sun 07-Jun-15 10:21:55

Tranquilitybaby,sometimes,even with the best care a wound may still become infected.
I'm a nurse,and I would do/recommend the following.
Have a shower-there is a notion that when you have a bath you are sitting in your own dirt,but I never noticed that those who favoured a bath were more prone to infection. You may have a shower and expose the wound from the following day. Remove the plaster. Wash as normally,you can use shower gel/shampoo,but don't actively 'wash' the wound. Just let the water rinse over it.
Pat dry. You may like to have a plaster over it again but it is fine to leave exposed. I used to put a large pad over the wound and put your pants on,they should cover it. Just protects the wound from snagging.
Do not use a hair dryer to dry the wound. Do not use talc/sprays/creams on the wound.
Check your wound every day. If you notice any redness/swelling/ooze/heat inform your midwife or treat room nurse.
This way if there is any sign of infection they will start treating it straight away.
Your wound should be healed in 4-6 weeks.
Good luck!

MissDexter Sun 07-Jun-15 11:56:07

I used to lie down and lift the overhang up to let air get to it. 5-10 mins a few times a day.

Tranquilitybaby Mon 08-Jun-15 13:51:10

Thank you very much for the replies, really helpful ideas.

Can I take arnica when Bestfeeding?

TheTravellingLemon Mon 08-Jun-15 13:52:55

Make sure you dry it properly, especially if there is an overhang.

Tranquilitybaby Mon 08-Jun-15 13:54:00

*breastfeeding

starfish12 Mon 08-Jun-15 15:13:48

Think so... I did but you might want to double check x

Tranquilitybaby Thu 11-Jun-15 07:03:59

Thank you

Cheerfulcharlie Thu 11-Jun-15 07:14:59

Last time I used this silicon strip thing called Cica Care that my ob gyn recommended and I had almost no scar whatsoever . I just had another c section a few days ago and will try it again. I think it's not cheap though

Suzietwo Thu 11-Jun-15 07:21:29

I had a 3 day course of antibiotics after my 3rd as a precaution. No infection!

TallGiraffes Thu 11-Jun-15 07:27:29

Please don't take the arnica before your section. It is a blood thinner and can lead to increased blood loss during surgery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now