Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
Would you be induced again?(29 Posts)
I was induced with DS as I was 2 weeks overdue and, for me, it was horrendous, I swore I'd never do it again. My due date is 30 May and I've had a great pregnancy, only issue is, DC2 (a girl) is another big baby. Had a scan yesterday and measurements indicate estimate of 9lb6oz (DS was 9lb11). I myself am quite small, 5'4, size 10/12 etc, so it was a difficult delivery - after 24 hrs with pessary and drip (& epidural) he was born with ventouse assistance, episiotomy and tear, 2 night stay in hospital etc. I didn't have PND but I was pretty traumatised after. This time I wanted to go the hypnobirthing route and do it all as naturally as possible and be home for my DS asap.
However I've now actually requested, if she doesn't come naturally, to be induced earlier than 2 weeks, so we have agreed on 5 June (40+5), partly due to her size, partly due to my age (35, they said might be better anyway not to wait 2 weeks this time). I'm now having second thoughts and am desperate to go into spontaneous labour. I know I'm not held to the induction date and can refuse, I just don't really want her to get to over 10lbs and I know they pack on the weight in the last few weeks/days. Should I wait it out and give birth naturally? What if I go two weeks over again and have to be induced then? And it ends up even worse than the first time, or an EMCS?
You have 6 days to go into labour spontaneously, it's quite likely you'll go into labour any day now. Could you coax your dp into having lots of sex? Put the best sheets on the bed to encourage sods law breaking your waters.
Try not to over think this, give your baby till the 5th to come on her own, then make your decision on how to proceed. I have my fingers crossed you go into labour asap.
Mmh, difficult one. My first came at 38 weeks, so was hopping by 40+3 with my second. I asked for a sweep which worked well and baby was born that night in 6 hours but he was 9lbs11 and got shoulder dystocia.
In view of this and the fact that I developed GD with my 3rd, the plan was to induce me by 39 weeks. It turned out to be 2 days before my fie date in the end. The induction was awful and if the 3 it was the worst birth
Pressed send by mistake. Meant to say it was the worst birth and in retrospect, with the benefit of hindsight, I would have waited a few more days. However at the time, it was medically still the right choice.
I will never be induced again. If any urgent need for a (future, hypothetical) baby to be born, I will have a c section.
My 2nd induction was much easier, they broke my waters, I went straight into labour at had the baby 6 hours later!! No pessaries or drips, it was tons easier. Your first delivery sounds similar to my first, second time round was much more straightforward!!
Induction at 40+15 with DD was horrible, lots of intervention and issues after.
I opted to wait with DS despite him being enormous (11lb 7oz, they predicted 9/10lb), and 'late' - 40+11 so still within normal - by their dates (went into labour bang on 40w by my dates)
I was induced with dc4. It sounds more like size is the issue than i duction, therefore I'd vote go for early i duction. Ds was 2 weeks early and was 7,7. Good luck
No not if l can help it! Although l feel this one is going to be big as I'm huge already at 23 weeks. But being induced and the subsequent
cock ups interference was horrible and left me in a right state after dd was born.
I wouldn't have one again, I was induced at 40 + 5, if I had known what could happen I would have asked to wait at least until 40 + 10.
Pessary and waters being broken didn't do much, we were up against the clock due to my medication so they went to the drip alot earlier than they usually do.
Then it all went horribly wrong. Emergency section under GA.
Sorry I don't want to scare you, but I wish I had resisted intervention for a bit longer. Perhaps I would have done if I had known more about it. Although as its a size issue for you, its a very different scenario to mine.
YES!! I was induced on Sunday just gone and had the baby 12 hours later. I went from 2cm-delivery in an hour, DH nearly missed it as I'd sent him home to rest expecting to be in labour for another day at least.
Emergency forceps, no pain relief until after delivery which was a spinal for repairing me, had a minor haemorrhage. Forceps and injections in the spine two things I was absolutely against an scared of, but am actually glad I had them as my fears are now totally gone.
Obviously not my planned birth but it was amazing and I had such a positive experience! All the staff were incredible.
I would be induced again but it would have to be inpatient - if I was at home I dread to think what would have happened. Docs couldn't find DS's heartbeat for ages hence the emergency forceps, and I hadn't felt any contractions, only the urge to push, so I would never have taken myself to the hospital. Luckily they moved my booked outpatient induction to an earlier inpatient induction!
I was 11 days over so think that helped. Don't think my body would have gone into labour before 42 weeks on its own but think it helped that I was overdue. If I had to be induced and wasn't due yet it might have been a longer process I feel.
I've been induced twice and would do it again. First time was electively post dates - pessary, ARM, drip then 3 hours active labour. Second time before due date on OB's recommendation which I was quite happy with - ARM, drip, 3 hours active labour.
Both were good experiences, second time was easier. I'd do it again.
Just got my paperwork through from the hospital and my labour duration is officially noted as 40 minutes, ha!
No way! It was like being tortured in a medieval prison. Didn't even work and also my DD was sick when she came out (fine now).
Never in a month of Sundays. 25 weeks with DC2 and am opting for a VBAC or an ELCS if I go post-dates. Anyone going near my cervix with a crochet hook will be reported for assault.
OP - I have 3 dcs and had 3 inductions.
dc 1 was horrendous, 2 days in labour, finally epidural, drip 2 hours pushing etc etc.
But dc 2 and 3 were completely different. I was induced with a pessary (and with dc3 I had my waters broken) both were easy quick labours, I didn't use any pain relief and they were both natural births after that initial bump start.
My babies were all big and late - dc 1 was 10lbs (and big head) and over 2 weeks late
dc 3 was 10lbs 7oz. As soon as I knew she was going over I wanted to be induced as I knew she would be big, she ended up being induced at 40 + 10.
So it really doesn't have to be like that first time at all. My 2nd and third deliveries were really positive experiences
I was induced by drip and for me it was a horrendous experience - so no, I would def try to avoid it if I have another. Next time I'm having a hypno water birth with music playing and champagne on the baby's arrival.... Or that's the plan, anyway.
Yes. Induced at 37 weeks with DD, only had my waters broken, 8 hours from start to finish, managable on gas and air. We did have some vontouse at the end due to foetal distress, but concerns about DD were why we were induced in the first place, not a symptom of the induction.
I wouldn't. But mine didn't actually work anyway. I was induced 12 days over and finally had him 15 days over after requesting a section. I didn't labour, nothing happened, yet was still awful. He was breech & 11lb7oz.
I'd have another section.
I've been induced twice.
My first at 42weeks was horrible (pessary followed by drip) back to back, Dd didn't descend at all ended up with ventouse, episiotomy and third degree tear. I found it frightening too as I had to sign consent forms for a section and exh was scrubbed up and I had her in theatre. 8lb 11oz
Second child came spontaneously (well after 4 sweeps) at 40+9 still back to back and second degree tear. 8lb 15oz with head on 98th!
Third child was induced at 42weeks, this time though I had my waters broken as my cervix was favourable that kickstarted contractions and she was born in 2.5hrs. Weighing 9lb 10oz and also with a massive head. Still left with a second degree tear though.
So in answer to your question, I would (if I ever convince dh of number 4) happily opt for induction by ARM if my cervix had a good bishops score - because let's face it I think I'd have a late big one again - but I would take a lot of convincing to have the drip.
No, induced with drop on dc1, pain was horrific . I'm pregnant with dc 2 and if they want to induce me this time they are going to have to give me a very good reason
OP I think there is your answer. The drip is the horrific bit (was for me too).
Wish I never read this post bein induced Monday 41+ 5 and now shitting myself
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.