Talk

Advanced search

Possible second induction - could it be like the first?

(14 Posts)
SweetPeaSoup Wed 20-May-15 10:47:07

DC1 was in no hurry to make an appearance and was induced at 40+12, and now that I'm 40+4 with DC2, I'm thinking that this one looks to be going the same way!

DC1 was induced with a pessary (no further augmentation), and labour was only 1hr40mins 1st stage, then 6min pushing so I have no particular concern about induction itself. The thing is that I have no idea whether a second induction might be similar if it comes to it!

I guess I'm mostly concerned because I've been told that the policy now is that my hospital would give me a pessary and pack me off home for 24hrs. I'm sure they'd be open for discussion, but I'm not sure whether I should insist on staying onsite! Hospital is about 20min drive away if traffic is kind, and if this labour turns out to be similar to my first, when it starts, it would start with a vengeance!

Of course, labour may come on spontaneously before then, but I'm just not feeling it, you know?

MrsBeeBeeBee Thu 21-May-15 14:30:02

No help as I've not had 2nd baby yet! But I've been wondering similar!

Induced at 40+12 with 1st. I had gel though, and a quick labour and birth.

Now 38+6 (still plenty of time obv but I've kind of assumed all along that baby won't play ball again!) and just found out that my hospital now do the pessary and send you home for low risk induction. The idea of going home appeals to me as I laboured alone overnight on the maternity ward last time, so would be nice to be with my husband this time! But I also worry about getting to the hospital. I was fully dilated by the time they moved me from maternity ward to delivery last time and it's only a floor away!

fingers crossed you don't need inducing anyway x

RandomMess Thu 21-May-15 14:33:36

My personal experience is that if you are induced at a similar term it's likely to be fairly similar!!!

weeblueberry Fri 22-May-15 08:37:12

My two inductions were virtually identical so it's very possible. They'd normally monitor you for a while after pessary - it's not just 'shove it up and out the door' grin so if you go as quickly as last time things should already have started while you're there.

Good luck!!

imwithspud Sat 23-May-15 19:50:20

My personal experience is that if you are induced at a similar term it's likely to be fairly similar

Oh gosh I hope not! I was induced with DC1 at 40+14 and it was a horrendously long labour. Currently 40+4 with DC2 and booking my induction on Tuesday although I'm really hoping for a different experience this time.

RandomMess Sat 23-May-15 20:43:03

My actual being in labour was much shorter with all the subsequent dcs. However the actions of being induced to getting me into labour were similar!

imwithspud Sat 23-May-15 23:31:42

That's good to hear at least, a shorter labour would be lovely lol, labour with my first was a right old rigmarole. I had the pessary which made my contractions stronger but I wasn't progressing so was put on the drip a few hours later and ended up screaming for the epidural at 5cm dilated.

Scotinoz Sun 24-May-15 04:06:57

I've been induced twice and they've been virtually identical. ARM around the same time and babies arrived around the same time. I suppose the drip was stArted later second time so a slightly shorter labour if anything.

Induction is great in my books!

Schoolaroundthecorner Sun 24-May-15 05:38:52

Just had an induction for the second time. This time Labour started much more quickly. Took 2 days to get me going properly the first time. Took only two hours this time to get contractions going and to start to slowly dilate. That said once on the drip it took an hour longer second time around to finally deliver but I think the dosage on the drip was administered more slowly this time around. One thing I do have to say is that the pushing was a lot faster the second time. Less than 10 contractions when I was ready to start pushing and baby was out.

imwithspud Sun 24-May-15 10:07:55

With my induction my contractions were horrendous and on top of each other last time, I had completely lost control and was screaming like I've never screamed before, OH was terrified until the epidural kicked in lol. It was confirmed by a different midwife at shift change that my dosage was far to high so I think that has clouded my view of induction somewhat. Also hate having the cannula in my hand, makes me shudder thinking about it.

SweetPeaSoup Sun 24-May-15 20:54:23

Thanks everyone! Currently looking at IOL on Thursday if baby is still staying put.

Anotheronesoon Sun 24-May-15 21:10:15

I had a wonderful induced birth with dc2 - but it was quick! I would insist on staying in- infact they have told me to plan for a home birth of I go for another baby! Good luck!

stubbornstains Sun 24-May-15 22:49:46

I guess I'm going to be induced next Monday if nothing happens before then. Am very envy at those who get the pessary, then sent home- AFAIK you're still in for the duration at our hospital. Surely if I was labouring at home, then I'd be able to go to our MLU, with its pool?

SweetPeaSoup Mon 23-Nov-15 19:50:15

I just realised I never came back to update and the baby is now 6 months old, give or take a few days!

It turns out I needn't have worried. After a 'false alarm' that resulted in being sent home from hospital at 6am the day before the induction was booked, I returned the same afternoon and gave birth with no further intervention. This labour was 34 minutes start to finish with a 3 minute second stage. If I have any more children, I plan to labour standing on my head to try to slow it down a bit.

Thanks to all who replied when I was still wondering how it might go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now