Talk

Advanced search

Planned C-Section: Thoughts?

(36 Posts)
LottyJ81 Mon 11-May-15 17:29:27

I am almost 37 weeks and have found out my baby is breech, so have a section planned in for week 39. I have refused an ECV as I have heard only bad things. And being very honest, I have wanted a c section since before I was even pregnant! The things is, it seems to be a very controversial decision with many of my friends weighing in with their views. The majority of people tell me to avoid at all costs because of recovery. But I've also had friends say to ignore the scaremongering as planned c sections are far better than emergency ones. And a lot of people I know who have had natural labors, have been through a terrible time. So it seems to me that at the end of the day, it will all just be what it will be?

I am fully aware of the fact it is a major op and of the recovery process etc but I just know that this is the better options for me personally. And not to mention the fact that I don't really have a choice if she remains breech!!

Has anyone had a planned section? How did it go? Any thoughts?

cookiefiend Mon 11-May-15 17:36:32

I had an emergency section- it actually wasn't bad. The worst thing was I was already wiped out from two days of labour and had high bp so I was tired, but a planned section would be better I think.

sneakybollox Mon 11-May-15 17:41:51

I've had one emergency and two planned, no vaginal births. IME, the planned ones are ok as you can manage the time, make sure you sleep well on the lead up etc. Yes it is a major op, and yes you do need to recover from it but ignore your friends, it's not their body so why they feel their opinions matter is beyond me!

meglet Mon 11-May-15 17:48:42

had an EMCS and planned cs.

you should find recovery is ok for a planned cs, but all the same plan to mooch about in pj's at home for a couple of weeks. You might recover well or you might need longer. I felt better after 3/4 weeks. back at the gym at 12 weeks.

LottyJ81 Mon 11-May-15 18:03:31

Thanks all. I have a very supportive husband who is having 4 weeks off...and we're both very aware of the 4-6 week recovery which isn't the best but it is not the end of the world like some people make out!! My best friend had an emergency (horrendous and 10 days in hosp with a blood transfusion) and then a planned one and even she said the planned one was a millions times better and not to worry.

sneakybollox, I agree!

TheWiseOldElf Mon 11-May-15 18:09:37

I had an EMCS with DD1 after a 30 hour labour and lost nearly 2 litres of blood. I was terrified when told I needed a section because I had only heard scare stories about them but my recovery was absolutely fine. No worse than after my vaginal delivery of DD2. I don't really know why they get such a bad press. I imagine a planned section is much better recovery wise because your body hasn't had to go through contractions etc first and you hopefully won't be as exhausted

jerryfudd Mon 11-May-15 18:18:10

I've had an emergency section and a planned one (twin 1 breach in first and second for medical reasons)

I don't regret either and recovery was easier than others abdominal surgery if id had previously. Was able to look after twins and with second able to look after 2 year old twins and new baby just fine (although hv told me I looked rough when she called following second pregnancy)

Iggi999 Mon 11-May-15 18:26:36

This is your first lesson in not telling people your business ! If you keep opening up parenting decisions etc for others' comments, you will keep being judged by idiots! 2 elcs here, very positive.

seaoflove Mon 11-May-15 18:32:16

I'm having a planned section on Thirsday and am bloody delighted about not having to go through labour. I suffered quite a serious injury last time and was determined not to repeat the experience, despite the consultant insisting it wouldn't (no one could actually guarantee that). It's a myth that recovery from a vaginal birth is simple and a CS is horrendous. My VB recovery was extremely long.

In your shoes I would refuse ECV and go straight to CS as well.

LottyJ81 Mon 11-May-15 18:37:05

Iggi999, these are close friends who I didn't expect it from tbh. It was mainly when I said I didn't want an ECV and that I actually wanted a section now it was available to me... An innocent comment that I didn't realise would attract so much opinion! I haven't really said very much about my pregnancy throughout as I know people can be very opinionated and I'm not interested in hearing it. I know my own mind and have only confided in best friends who have offered great advice & support throughout. It just seems the c section has suddenly brought out the opinions all of a sudden!

I almost had the same when people asked me about breastfeeding...in short I told people I'm absolutely NOT doing it and that if they don't agree with my stance on it, don't ask me!! It soon shut them up lol.

Thanks to all for the positive responses, you have kind of told me what I thought anyway.

LottyJ81 Mon 11-May-15 18:38:35

Thanks seaoflove. I absolutely agree that it is a myth.

I just hope and pray she doesn't turn in the next 2 weeks as I think they will refuse the planned section sad

ThatEffingCreakyFloor Mon 11-May-15 18:39:12

Hi Lotty, more or less exactly the same scenario for me last summer, except I did try the ECV which was super uncomfortable but worth a go & they were not pushy at all with it, they totally respected when I said I'd had enough. Planned c section was lovely & calm, knew exactly what was going on, really really lovely good staff etc. I recovered really well but I still think it was brutal for first week or so, never had any kind of surgery or anything invasive before so probably a real shock because of that. If I was in the same situation again I would do the same again i.e. Have a go at the ECV for the chance of a normal delivery, but that's probably just my personal preference. Best of luck with it and enjoy your baby when he/she arrives!

DinosaursRoar Mon 11-May-15 18:41:02

oh planned c-section is a lovely option. By day 10, I was able to walk DC1 to nursery (half a mile) and back, I just had to go slowly, and was driving at 14 days. The only thing was lifting the car seat was hard, and stairs were really hard for the first 3-4 days. (DH had to carry me up when we got home)

If you're generally fit, it's quite a quick recovery.

LottyJ81 Mon 11-May-15 18:42:53

Thanks ThatEffingCreakyFloor, I am going in to this with my eyes open and fully expect the first 1-2 weeks to be brutal. It still doesn't put me off wanting a section though! Hubby knows me very well and is happy I am having it too.

Seaoflove - good luck!!!

FlossieTreadlight Mon 11-May-15 18:48:13

Same as seaoflove here... You sound like you've done your research and critically.... It's no ones bloody business but yours. Enjoy meeting your new baby smile

FlossieTreadlight Mon 11-May-15 18:48:53

Durrr except I've had me ELCS - was brilliant

cathpip Mon 11-May-15 19:10:27

One emcs and am due my third elcs in August. The only disaster recovery was after no2 but then I did overdo it. Whereas my friend who has had an emcs followed by a vbac will now opt for an elcs if she goes for dc3, her vbac has resulted in a cocktail of antibiotics for twelve weeks and she will need reconstructive surgery.

LottyJ81 Mon 11-May-15 19:15:40

vbac?

cathpip Mon 11-May-15 19:17:27

Vaginal birth after cesarean.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 11-May-15 19:27:46

I've only had emcs and the only bad things about it were due to the emergency nature if that makes sense. I was able to walk (shuffle) the next day and I'd say completely back to normal apart from heavy lifting within 2 weeks. You'll need help with lifting and carrying and if you drive you can't for a while because of insurance. I was in a flat so no stairs but I've heard they are tricky but you could live on one floor for a week or so. It's also usually 2 nights in hospital rather than straight home.
It seems to vary a lot though, my friend was in bed for over a month but also I've had friends with vaginal birth with long recoveries

By the way you can request a cs for any reason even if your baby turns

LottyJ81 Mon 11-May-15 19:41:52

Makes total sense, that's the feedback I get from other people re emcs.

Can I really?? I asked at the outset and was told a flat no. Although if she turns now, I am going to fight tooth and nail to keep the elcs.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 11-May-15 19:55:48

Yes, maybe someone will have a link but anyone can request one I think it's NICE guidelines. I'm currently having this argument for DC2 as the midwives think I should have VBAC but I really don't want to (I won't highjack the thread with my reasons!)

Shootingstar2289 Mon 11-May-15 20:15:22

I had an 'unplanned' c-section with my first but it wasn't an emergency. This time around, I have a c-section booked at 40+10 if I don't start naturally beforehand.

I'm not going to lie, it is painful afterwards but it's surprising how quick you recover and all the pain is worth it smile

I was walking up and the hill at my old home within 2 weeks and driving within 3. Stopped taking pain killers after a week. I felt I recovered pretty well.

My mum had 2 rushed emergency c-sections after 2 previous natural births and says she would pick the natural over the c-section any day but hers were traumatic.

I really want a vaginal birth this time for a quicker recovery as I'm due just before the summer holiday and I'm sure my 4 year old won't appreciate being stuck in if I cannot drive for a while after my partner goes back to work. But if I had another c-section it won't bother me.

ECV success rates aren't great anyway. Probably best to have the c-section smile

Good luck smile

SantanaLopez Mon 11-May-15 20:20:17

My planned c-section was glorious.

Absolutely heavenly. Fight for yours OP- so worth it.

UsernameAlreadyInUse Mon 11-May-15 20:24:19

I've had two ELCS. Honestly, they were great! I recovered very quickly, none of this 4-6 weeks stuff. Within days I felt fine and was out on walks etc. The second time I was up and about even quicker and there was a toddler to deal with. Think positively rather than thinking it'll be 'brutal' and take you weeks to feel yourself again. There's a good book called Caesarean Birth: A Positive Approach by Leigh East which I thoroughly recommend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now