Talk

Advanced search

Maidstone or Pembury Birth

(10 Posts)
mrsO15 Thu 07-May-15 13:06:41

This is my first post - I know there was a thread on this subject a couple of years ago, but was wondering if people had any recent experiences to share?

I'm 31 weeks pregnant (first child) and starting to give some thought about where to give birth - Maidstone Midwife-led Unit or Pembury Hospital.

I was supposed to be moving to Maidstone in the next few weeks but unfortunately our house purchase has fallen through and so in all likelihood I will be still living where we are now which is 20 minutes from Pembury and 40 mins from Maidstone.

I did have my heart set on midwife led as I liked the idea of less intervention, stitches etc (all shown as less likely on the stats pages at Maidstone) but now it seems a long way to go when Pembury is closer.

The idea of a transfer from Maidstone to Pembury if things aren't going well doesn't bother me too much as I know someone who went through this and said it was all handled really well and wasn't traumatic at all.

I've also heard that Pembury can be difficult to have a water birth as although they do have pools they tends not be inflated or used much.

Home-birth isn't an option for various reasons.

I would love to hear from anyone about what their experiences are / advice would be - thanks in advance!

Bobian123 Thu 07-May-15 14:36:28

Are you anywhere near crowborough? I hear really excellent things about their midwife led birth centre.

I haven't given birth in either myself but a couple of friends have had positive water births at pembury, plus you get your own room with ensuite afterwards.

I know you mentioned your friend was transferred without any trouble but I would still plump for the closer option. I had to transfer from a birthing unit to delivery suite in the same hospital whilst pushing, and I found even that a bit hardcore!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

mrsO15 Thu 07-May-15 14:54:30

Thanks for the response Bobian - I am a similar distance from Crowborough as Maidstone in terms of travel time although in term of miles, Maidstone is nearer. My midwife definitely said my local Midwife one would be Maidstone.

I think you are probably right about the closer one, and its really good to hear that your friends have had water births at Pembury.

Bobian123 Thu 07-May-15 16:48:34

Def ask your midwife about your concerns re the pools though. It's the kind of thing that would play on my mind!

MrsBradleyCooper Fri 08-May-15 19:13:46

I was hoping to give birth at Maidstone but the day before I was due to look round it, my waters broke at 35 weeks. Because of the risk factors, I then had to give birth at Pembury. I have to say that it was all in all a very pleasant experience. Great midwives, lovely facilities (own room, TV, en-suite bathroom etc.)I had my last baby in Maidstone before they changed to midwife led unit and it was pretty dismal. Have you thought about a home birth?

MrsBradleyCooper Fri 08-May-15 19:15:22

Sorry I've just reread your OP and you mentioned home birth not an option so ignore that question!!confused

MsCake Fri 08-May-15 19:18:00

I gave birth at Pembury and loved it.

CowGoesWoof Sat 09-May-15 12:23:03

I had my last at the maidstone birthing centre. By far it was the best birthing experience I had. It's just so calming and homely. Have you been there for one of their tours?

flowersinthegarden Wed 13-May-15 08:10:38

I had my little boy at Pembury 6 months ago, the care was brilliant. I went in at 5pm, was examined and found to be 8/9cm and sent straight to delivery suite. I was put in a room without a pool but asked the midwife if there was a pool available which there was, I was in the pool by 6pm, it was amazing. And without the complications I had at the end of delivery I would have been managed only by midwives. However, I am so glad I wasn't in a Midwife led unit as I did need a doctor at the end! Good luck ��

mrsO15 Wed 13-May-15 09:14:25

Thanks everyone - it looks like Maidstone and Pembury are both great which is definitely reassuring!
I think I will probably opt for Pembury if only so that I can halve the time spent in a car whilst having contractions (doesn't sound very comfortable!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now