Talk

Advanced search

Do labour pains feel anything like severe constipation cramps?

(19 Posts)
jennyB123 Wed 18-Feb-15 19:51:07

First time mummy to be, and just wondering what I'm looking out for!

Unfortunately iv had some seriously bad constipation cramps which iv suffered with for years (got worse in pregnancy thanks to iron tablets!)

And the pain is sometimes unbearable. Literally feels like my insides are going to drop out. Sorry!

But how does this pain compare to labour/contractions? Many people say it feels like 'period' pains but the cramps I suffer with are a million times worse than period cramps.

Can anyone shed some light?! Hopefully will find out for myself very soon as due in just over a week... smile

jennyB123 Wed 18-Feb-15 19:56:25

Sorry I also have a question for ladies who've already had a baby! Did you find yourself unreasonably moody/short fused before u went into labour? I'm feeling so very angry tonight for no reason at all! Everything hubby is doing is pi***ng me off! Sniffing, chewing nails, tv too loud.... Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!! I am never normally bothered at all angryconfusedangry I'm sure I read somewhere this happened to another lady the night before she had her baby....

Chubbychopsmolly Wed 18-Feb-15 19:59:38

No I think contractions felt like bad period pain not at all like constipation, constipation felt worse. Contractions are like mild period pains that get stronger then eventually you feel a pressure which is obv baby's head pushing down. But my inside felt intact.

Also I wasn't moody at all throughout my pregnancy and I wasn't sick either but the day before I went into labour I was a moody bitch I was also sick that night before for the first time so that was the hormones ramping up for labour

Chubbychopsmolly Wed 18-Feb-15 20:01:41

Before labour when the baby is ready to come the placenta releases hormones hat tell your body to start the labour process( these hormones can make you sick or moody etc, poo more and things like that. I would think you'd be any day really

jennyB123 Wed 18-Feb-15 20:14:36

Thank u ladies,

I'm exceptionally pleased to hear it's not like constipation pains, they are pure evil! Couldn't cope with 20+ hours of that!

The mood thing is really odd hmm iv been fine all pregnancy, never moody. No sickness at all, and tonight so so short fused!

Last couple days had on/off period type cramps, and last night about 5 times felt a sharp pain in my cervix... I might just be looking for signs but hopefully it's something starting!

I also feel like my pubic bone is bruised?! Especially when I walk, Oh the joys! I'm guessing that's just because baby is almost fully engaged?

holeinmyheart Wed 18-Feb-15 20:15:29

Every labour is different with each child. I can honestly say my first birth, except for its longevity, was fairly painless.
If it is any consolation, when it gets so that you think' this wasn't a good idea, you are coming to the end, and the baby will soon be born.
Labour isn't designed to make you pass out.
Contractions for me felt like a wave of tight pain rolling from the top of my pubic bone, up my tummy and then intensifying, before fading away.

As the birth approaches, Briaxton Hicks contractions intensify. Your body is limbering up, getting ready for the birth. It is wonderful really and I am glad that I have experienced it.

I didn't get constipated as I eat porridge laced with prunes and nuts every morning. I don't recall the pain being like the pain of constipation.
Any unusual pains or lack of movement of the baby or vaginal blood loss should ring alarm bells. No GP is going to mind a worried Pregnant Mum asking for a check.

One of my daughters on Christmas Day thought she couldn't detect movement so off she went to A&E. Luckily everything was fine.

I wasn't grumpy before Labour began. I felt a bit grumpy after number three was born. I had a snooze and woke up to find my DH gone, the nurse told me she had sent him home to get some rest because diddums had a cold ! What !
No one made much fuss of me after the first baby, so if it's your first take advantage of any sympathy that comes your way. Best of luck next week.
You are about to enter a new stage of your life.

ChocolateBiscuitCake Wed 18-Feb-15 20:16:28

The pain is all consuming. It really isn't comparible to anything I have ever experienced and is described as period-pain like as that is the best way to describe the initial sensations. However, when they start coming regularly, the pain is so indescribably intense that you are literally consumed by them. For that 60 seconds or so, you can not speak, and you become strangely aware of only your body and the pain. Then they pass and you can carry on the conversation like nothing has happened.

The irony is that for all the false starts and endless nights of thinking "this is it", when it properly starts you will just know and wonder why on earth you ever thought that the days before were possibly "it"!

Just rest, rest, rest...no amount of climbing stairs and bouncing on balls is going to speed up the outcome! With dc1, I paced the streets at 4am thinking it would hurry things along...instead I started real labour with 36 hours of sleep deprivation, which made real labour harder and the first days of motherhood very tiring.

Bestest of luck smile

devonkate Wed 18-Feb-15 20:27:11

I know the type of constipation pain you mean - it is like a shooting pain for me. I think the pain is completely different compared with labour pains. the constipation shooting pain is excruciating but sharp and sudden, whereas contractions build up to be excruciating! I am always shocked when I hear women say their contractions were not particularly painful. I wish I had been one of the lucky ones where pain is concerned! You'll have pain relief on hand should you need it, which is the main thing. Best of lucksmile

Chubbychopsmolly Wed 18-Feb-15 20:49:08

I also want to add as per previous poster I was told bloodloss is normal early labour as my mucus plug came away in the first few hours of labour and it just looked like s period, I was told this is normal. As long as it's not loads

jennyB123 Thu 19-Feb-15 10:00:04

Thank u all for replying, felling somewhat relieved that the pains are not the same as constipation cramps, they really are the worst pain confused

I will come back to this thread one baby has arrived and update how I felt the pains shock

Can't wait for the birth really. And my bad mood has lifted grin hooray!

1stBabyQuestions Sun 22-Feb-15 14:15:47

I was induced so my mood plummeted and then shot back up really quickly!

I was also on hormone drip so my contractions got really strong really quick there wasn't a gradual increase in intensity. They were much harder to deal with than I thought, but my triage midwife friend told me that induced contractions do feel stronger, I don't know how true that is?!
I would liken it to an intense shooting sensation all through the lower half of your body. It helped me to stand, so I could almost stretch out the contraction. Nothing helped quite like the epidural though!

Dildals Mon 23-Feb-15 09:47:57

It was like constipation pain for me I am afraid. I now totally understand how women accidentally give birth on the toilet!

TwoLittleTerrors Mon 23-Feb-15 09:53:19

The pushing feels like bad constipation to me. Like something very very stuck, pushing all I could and I still couldn't push it out.

I don't suffer from labour pain much. It was never primal, all consuming, etc. I know I was in labour, there were strong contractions that I could feel on my back. I had to concentrate to ride out the contractions. I didn't need pain relief for both of my labour. But you won't know how yours would be until you get there. Because of my first silent labour, I had a note on my file saying I should be examined on any contractions. So it went really well as I got the care I needed unlike my first labour.

okeydonkey Mon 23-Feb-15 12:21:46

I woke up in the worst mood EVER and I'm quite moody lol. I went into labour that day

CFusi Mon 06-Feb-17 17:25:17

Hi jennyB123
I just wondered if there was an update as to how you found labour?
Thanks

ExpectoPatronummmm Mon 06-Feb-17 21:05:12

YES THEY DO!!
I've had two babies

Snifftest Mon 06-Feb-17 21:12:06

Yes, the horrific gut ripping pain of constipation is exactly how I'd describe some of my contractions.

I felt really grumpy/miserable/ moody and horrid a few days before I went in to labour.

Sundaygal Tue 07-Feb-17 13:54:17

No, I don't think they do in initial labour. The week before I gave birth with my first, I was in excruciating pain and was lying on the bathroom floor in pain thinking maybe I was in labour ... even called the MLU but after an hour in the bath I realised it was a major bowel movement that didn't want to happen, but finally did.

When labour began if felt like the beginning of a period - then ramped up to crazy. The pushing phase was similar to a bowel movement in feeling.

Good luck it won't be too long now.

Sundaygal Tue 07-Feb-17 13:55:28

Hmm this is an ancient thread ... But hopefully will help any new mums out there wondering!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now