Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Group B Strep & ELCS

(5 Posts)
snowydrops Mon 16-Feb-15 18:30:05

I am having a planned c-sec in 4 weeks due to medical reasons unrelated to this but have just had a call from the GP to say results have come back from a vaginal swap taken at the hospital last week (had some odd pains) and they show I have Group B strep.

I am pretty sure that both me and my DD had this when she was born 3 yrs ago. I had antibiotics and so did she for 4 days in hospital. This led to recurrent thrush and problems feeding for us. I persevered but it was hard due to the pain and she became a v fussy eater. Eventually I exclusively expressed for 5 months.

Anyway This time I am having a ELCS will they treat me for the group b step or just leave it?? I don't want the anti biotics again during labour if I can avoid it but perhaps they will treat me right away? From what I can see online strep b can't be passed on via c section anyway?

Does anyone know anything about this at all? Thanks

smogsville Tue 17-Feb-15 12:38:09

I had group b strep in first preg and ELCS. They put the big yellow stickers on front of my notes so that if I were to go into labour before my section date, anyone treating me would know to give me antibiotics if labour progressed before I could be whipped into theatre.

That didn't happen so I had section as planned and no antibiotics as not necessary.

Good luck.

Patilla Tue 17-Feb-15 12:46:15

I was told no antibiotics were needed in the event of a c section and that it was only transmitted by going thru the birth canal or possibly if waters had been broken a long time.

Kahlua4me Tue 17-Feb-15 12:50:49

I had antibiotics for ds as waters broke a long time before anything happened and was due for natural delivery.

With dd, I didn't need them as had booked c section. I think it's only a problem if passing though canal.

noblegiraffe Tue 17-Feb-15 12:56:36

My DS got group B strep even though he was born by c-section. My waters had broken but only half a day before which wasn't considered a danger so they were a bit baffled.

But anyway, even with that, they didn't give any antibiotics or do any extra monitoring for my subsequent ELCS. I did have stickers on my notes though, in case I went into labour.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: