Advanced search

When get period pain type pains can I do anything to help turn it into labour?

(7 Posts)
cleoteacher Tue 10-Feb-15 18:34:43

Due date today and getting frustrated as have had random but very short shooting pains between my legs, tummy aches and period pain type cramping all week. But they are only for a few minutes at intervals in the morning and evening and then go and that's it.

With the morning ones I am usually lying in bed and the evening ones on the sofa. With the evening ones I have gone onto my birthing ball and started bouncing but the pains have always gone as quick as they came and they don't return once on birthing ball

Alternatively I ve gone into a warm bath to try and soften the cervix but this has also not done anything.

Feeling frustrated and worried about induction ( although this is still a little way off)

Is there a 'right' thing I should be doing as soon as these pains begin to try and turn them into proper labour or do I really need to just go with it ?

Zsazsabinks Tue 10-Feb-15 20:37:55

I don't really think there's anything that you can do to make them stay, but they are doing something and they're a good sign that things are moving in the right direction! I know this bit is terrible, I'm due on Thursday and it's horrid waiting for things to start.

Good luck to you Cleo!

cleoteacher Wed 11-Feb-15 17:14:23

Grr it is frustrating. Had sweep today and 1 cm with central cervix but still quite thick so mw reckons nothing will happen from it and booked me in for another one next week. Grr, went on hour walk and now bouncing on birthing ball like she advised. Atleast going in right direction though as with ds at this stage failed sweep and posterior cervix.

Mw said would be able to break waters this time rather than pessary or drip if nothing was happening. Is this right? Didn't know that. Guess still being induced but bit more naturally which is what I want.

Is this different in terms of what they say with pain stepping up very quickly and short labours with induction? Or is breaking waters different? Will the contractions start but more like they would if naturally

Zsazsabinks Wed 11-Feb-15 18:18:29

I know it's awful, it really is! I feel for you! Try not to tire yourself out too much though, you never know when the big event will be and it's exhausting so you'll need your energy.

I haven't been induced before so I can't help you there I'm afraid. I've never had my membranes ruptured either, I really don't know. Keep posting with any news or no news!

maccie Sat 14-Feb-15 11:09:14

Maybe a little self pleasuring could tip you over the edge if you are close to starting off but if your body isn't ready yet then not much is going to help.

bigfam Sat 14-Feb-15 11:18:00

From what I remember with my first they broke my waters, after this the contractions cranked up same with the my second.

cleoteacher Sat 14-Feb-15 11:36:36

Do they have to monitor you when they break your waters? Will I end up on my back on the bed as last time? This was when I felt I couldn't cope with the pain but couldn't get up and had the epidural. Don't want this again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now