Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Would this maximise my chance of a natural labour?

(9 Posts)
cleoteacher Sat 07-Feb-15 21:13:25

Want to avoid induction. Currently 39+4 and have a sweep booked for 40+1 weeks. I was wondering if I would potentially maximise my chances of going into labour if I also booked an acupuncture session for the same day or would I just be better off just going for a long walk afterwards?

I know research on acupuncture inducing labour is pretty slim and it's not proven to have any link but I tried the whole walking and bouncing on the birthing ball with ds and it did nothing.

Or am I better off waiting until another sweep say at 41 weeks and trying acupuncture then? It's expensive so might not be able to do more than one session.

Stealthpolarbear Sat 07-Feb-15 21:18:54

What makes you think you wont?

tellmemore1982 Sat 07-Feb-15 21:26:28

It's hard to say if any one thing would induce labour naturally. I had acupuncture twice at 40 and 41 weeks to no avail.

The only common theme I have heard is people who have gone into labour after some sort of strenuous activity (eg super long walk, gardening, cleaning etc) but please don't put yourself in any danger by trying anything silly!

I was induced at 41+5 with my first and had a great experience. I am planning an induction on due date this time if DC2 hasn't arrived before then and am not worried about it at all.

cleoteacher Sat 07-Feb-15 21:27:44

Had to be induced with ds at 40+10 after several sweeps where my cervix was posterior and having tried all the other 'old wives tales' to try and bring on labour. Was pretty horrible labour and scared of being induced again.

I know every baby is different but can't help worrying.

stargirl1701 Sat 07-Feb-15 21:32:11

What is your pre-birth physical prep?

I did the exercises from the 'Fit for Birth' leaflet 3x daily and 6-8 hours of birth ball bouncing, rocking, etc from 32 weeks onwards. I also did Aqua Natal and Pregnancy Yoga and Pregnancy Pilates classes.

I have no idea if it made any difference but DD came 40+2 and DD2 came 40+1.

You could try it. It can't hurt. I also heard that floor scrubbing/polishing on your hands and knees can be effective.

cleoteacher Sat 07-Feb-15 21:46:06

Blimey that is a lot of pre-birth exercise. How did you fit in 6-8 hrs daily on a birthing ball with dd?

To be honest not much. Half hour to hour of birthing ball last couple of days. Half hour walk each way the other day and reflexology plus going round after toddler all day.

To be honest in two minds about bothering with the whole mobile and up right thing anyway. Did dog walks everyday, pineapple, sex, birthing ball, curry with ds and did absolutely nothing. Even did huge long walk after pessary went in after first induction around hospital and didn't work! So in two minds really.

DefiniteMaybe Sat 07-Feb-15 21:49:48

I don't think there's much you can do, baby will come when he or she feels like it.
My pre birth exercise involved shoveling vast quantities of galaxy into my mouth and not much else and my babies were born at 39+1, 39+2 and 39+3.

stargirl1701 Sat 07-Feb-15 21:51:20

I gave her one too grin I got a standard size ball and she spent ages trying to master sitting on it without falling off! I got some great photos and videos...good to share if she ever gets pg as an adult!

I also had the good fortune to be pg in the summers of 2012and 2014 - Olympic Games and Commonwealth Games to watch while bouncing.

cleoteacher Sat 07-Feb-15 22:12:09

Definitelymaybe- a women after my own heart! Haha love it.

Yes trying to think that way, she will come how and when wants to etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: