Talk

Advanced search

Where did you get your birth pool from?

(17 Posts)
gallicgirl Thu 29-Jan-15 21:45:50

Planning another home birth and thinking a pool might be a good idea as back pain and PGP is quite bad.
I don't want to spend a lot so I've been looking at eBay and preloved but there aren't many around at the moment.

Are there any other places I could try?

Halfpastthelegofmyshirt Fri 30-Jan-15 11:31:10

Why don't you hire one? I've done this, it's £100 and couriered there and back at your convenience with all the accessories. New liner and hosepipes mean no cross contamination risk.

WerewolfBarMitzvah Fri 30-Jan-15 11:33:03

Yes hire it.
I used Water Baby Birthing Pools run by a woman called Emma. They were excellent.

JuniperTisane Fri 30-Jan-15 11:35:22

I picked up mine for £20 at the local NCT sale, plus ordered a box of new liner, hosepipe, pump etc from Birth pool in a box. I would probably have hired the package from there if I didn't come across the one I bought.

While I was contracting away, in the pool in my kitchen, the midwife sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of tea casually mentioned they actually have one to borrow but it doesn't get that much use. No wonder as I had certainly never heard of it. Try asking your community MW if they have such a thing.

FantasticMrsFoxx Fri 30-Jan-15 18:06:29

I got mine from Gumtree (£40). Came with an electric air pump, and water pump to empty it but I needed to get a 10m hose (£15 off eBay) and a new liner (£30) so not that much cheaper than hiring / brand new from BIAB. Also got a cute plastic handheld mirror (£7 from eBay)
We are currently deciding whether to keep it (kiddie paddling pool / ball pool) or sell it on.
The price of new liners is ridiculous because you've got no other option for 2nd hand pools. Grrr.

gallicgirl Sat 31-Jan-15 12:21:28

Thanks for the suggestions and info on prices. £100 seems a lot to hire but I guess it depends how much complete lots go for on eBay.

JuniperTisane Sat 31-Jan-15 13:26:45

Thing is, you can't really resell any of the liner/hose/water pump kit because of potential cross-contamination and that's half the cost of the hire anyway. The only thing we resold was the pool plus cover for £25, everything else got thrown. Even the pump, tbh, because it had pumped out all the nasty water plus bits and blood and bodily fluids and I'm damn sure I didn't want another person anywhere near it.

It was worth its weight in gold though. The difference in pain levels between being in and out of the pool was huge to me.

gallicgirl Sat 31-Jan-15 13:55:06

The lack of hassle is attractive too. Only 6 weeks to go so don't really have time to mess about.

I got in the bath for a bit with last baby and was amazed by the difference it made.

When did you all get in the pool and how long were you in? Wondering whether to hire tens machine too.

Serafinaaa Sat 31-Jan-15 14:07:18

I've been lucky enough to have one provided for free hire by my local NHS hospital. Comes with a new liner, pump etc. Have you looked into whether they are available in your area?

gallicgirl Sat 31-Jan-15 14:10:06

Not asked but I did mention birth pools in front of mW this week and she didn't mention anything.
We have a slightly higher than average home birth rate but not sure if that makes NHS more or less likely to help!

sebsmummy1 Sat 31-Jan-15 14:11:55

If you want to PM me I have one with all the accessories I was about to put on eBay for far less than £100.

NancyJones Sat 31-Jan-15 14:17:54

I bought mine from BIAB. I actually preferred this type to the sturdy reusable ones. It's not wobbly like a paddling pool, it's actually quite sturdy on the sides.
We actually sold ours on for £80. This is because they sent me a sample liner to try it out which I actually used for the birth. It meant we sold the pool on with an unused liner. It was fab for pain relief.

I wouldn't bother with a tens machine. It was great with my first but I found it pointless with subsequent labours. Plus you obv can't use it in the water. Mind you I think they're only about £20 to hire for 3wks.

JuniperTisane Sat 31-Jan-15 14:26:54

I was in the pool for most of the labour but it was only 2.5 hours start to finish anyway. I pretty much jumped in as soon as DS1 was away with MIL and only climbed out twice for examinations.

I cannot emphasise enough: Do a test run to see how long it takes to fill the pool to the right temperature. Ours took an hour from a dedicated hot water tank. A combi boiler would be faster. Also, get a cover. The heat loss is minimalised.

gallicgirl Sat 31-Jan-15 14:39:07

Thanks Juniper.

2 1\2 hours?!

shock

If only! I'm clinging to the fact that 2nd labours tend to be quicker.

JuniperTisane Sat 31-Jan-15 14:41:48

grin First labour was only 7 hours. Thats partly why we decided on a home birth for DS2, we were slightly afraid of me giving birth in the car on a country road.

gallicgirl Sat 31-Jan-15 15:05:42

Understandable.
I was 14 hours with first which was at home too. I was obviously too relaxed!

millicat Tue 17-Feb-15 16:24:47

Hi Sebsmummy1, could you give me more details about the pool you're selling, if it's still available?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: