Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Third baby after two fast deliveries...

(20 Posts)
NancyRaygun Tue 27-Jan-15 17:53:56

Hello, my first DC was a 12 hour labour with an hour of pushing. My second was 4 hours from first twinge then 20 minutes of intense pain and one push! I am expecting DC3 and was wondering whether anyone had any experiences of third labours and whether this one might be quick. The MW thinks so and has recommended a home birth. Thanks ladies!

ElephantMug Tue 27-Jan-15 17:58:44

Yep. First two pretty much the same as yours. DC3 was a planned home birth. However I didn't make enough of a fuss when the midwives turned up. They reckoned it'd be hours yet (or even days!) and went away. Less than two hours later my husband caught delivered our son! So go for it, but make sure your notes are explicit about how fast you labour.

Angelto5 Tue 27-Jan-15 18:00:05

I have 5dc & all labours lasted less than 12 hours & got quicker than the one before .
Wish i could of had a HB but I was high risksad

Good luck thanks

ClariceBeanthatsme Tue 27-Jan-15 18:03:49

Oh I'm a bit nervous now. DC1 was 6 hours and DC2 was just under 3 hours.
I'm 12+2 with DC3 and the midwife hasn't mentioned anything about fast labours confused

LikeABadSethRogenMovie Tue 27-Jan-15 18:06:14

My 2nd sounds like your 2nd. #3 labour was almost identical to #2. However, #4 was 48 hours of pains before they were born, so maybe quit while you're ahead!

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 27-Jan-15 18:06:18

My friend had very similar labours to you but didn't want a home birth. She was induced a couple of days before her due date in the hope of slowing things down. Can't remember if it worked but baby is now a healthy 4 year old so it all worked out ok.

Fadingmemory Tue 27-Jan-15 18:08:26

All three of my labours were fast - 1st was 4 hours, second was 5 (she then arrived at home which was not planned) and the third was an hour from the first real contraction. The second and third were breech (one diagnosed, one not). If you are happy to plan a home birth just make sure every medic, midwife etc you see is aware of the likelihood of a speedy arrival.

Good luck!!

NancyRaygun Tue 27-Jan-15 18:25:15

Thank you! Sounds like they do get faster as it were. Can't decide whether that's good: less time in pain but I found DC2 labour quite shocking and couldn't sleep or rest afterwards as was so full of adrenaline! Thanks for posting!

Sonoma Wed 28-Jan-15 00:03:28

Your deliveries aren't really that fast compared to some; there is still time to get help. My second and third came in around 2h from regular pains and if anything the second was faster as waters went early on (so fast and painful it is a little hazy and I barely got in the room before I delivered). Some stories on here have been way less than that believe it or not! You just have to have your plan in place and be able to get to hospital quickly and you'll be fine! Unless you want a home birth (not for me).

NoRoomForALittleOne Wed 28-Jan-15 09:07:16

I wouldn't be too worried. You just need to go to hospital in the early stages. My DC1 was 4 hours, DC2, 2 hours, DC3 1 hour 15 mins and DC4 25 mins. I'm guessing that you'll get to hospital in time if you go promptly. Just make sure that you have plenty of on call people to take the children when the time comes. And you may want to read up on what to do if it is happening too quickly. Main thing is to keep the baby warm so maybe get some plastic sheeting for the floor and plenty of old towels just in case. Buoy can always phone an ambulance if need be. To me 4 hours is a long labour!

NoRoomForALittleOne Wed 28-Jan-15 09:08:01

Buoy = but you hmm

LizzieMint Wed 28-Jan-15 09:15:51

I have three, first labour was 2.5 hours (induced), second was 4 hours, third was three hours. That's from vague contractions, rather than active labour. I had two home births, I'd highly recommend it. But you do still have to call ASAP as it can take the midwives up to 2 hours to get to you. At my last birth, they arrived with 15 minutes to spare, and that's only because I jumped in the birth pool as soon as they got there and everything stopped for 10 minutes!

Kemlex13 Wed 28-Jan-15 09:59:40

My second was just overran hour start to finish, I'm 33+1 with 3rd and been told 1st pain get to hospital (far to high risk for home birth sad ) just be well prepared. Countless people on stand by to get hosp/ help with other kids. We are woman, we rock lol xx

NancyRaygun Wed 28-Jan-15 16:02:19

Thank you ladies - yes, I have heard lots of birth anecdotes about even faster labours - mainly people giving birth at the supermarket etc!! So I know I am quite lucky really.

Its really reassuring to hear your third birth stories - I think I just need to get the midwives asap as in the previous labours I left it v late (pushing stage was in the car on the way to the hospital with number 1).

I was wondering whether it was worth my DH and i doing an emergency birth course thing? Or just reading up on what to do in an emergency.

25 minutes noroomforalittleone! wowsers!

SocksRock Wed 28-Jan-15 16:07:21

My first was 12 hours, second 1hr45min (waters broke while I was asleep, we just made it to hospital on time). My third was induced and was a sweet 45 minutes from first contraction to delivery. I'm not having a 4th...

Thelovecats Wed 28-Jan-15 22:19:58

I asked the same question on here a few months ago.
My first was 8 hours from first contraction, my second the waters went first, but then a few hours later contractions started and it was 3 hours 20 ish from first twinge of a contraction. Active labour was only about half an hour and pushing officially recorded as 4 mins.
I actually am considering a home birth because I am scared of being in advanced labour and trying to get to hospital, park the car, get into the ward etc. I know I probably would have time to get there (it's about 25 mins drive) but I'm just not sure I want to do that journey in that state!

FloweryBoots Thu 29-Jan-15 11:01:23

My first was 6 hours of established labour follwed by 4 hours pushing (or trying to at least: contractions dying down, getting them going again, baby getting stuck, being pulled out) with probably a couple of hours at home first on top. Second was a few random contractions in the morning then perhaps 1 1/2 (maybe less, it's a bit hazy) from them establishing (straight away at 5 mins appart) to baby being in my arms. We were at the hospital less than 10 minutes before she was in my arms! I'm 37 weeks tomorrow with number three and getting to the hospital in time is a bit of a concern. More becasue child care options are 1hour plus away and we don't really have friends close by we feel we know well enough to ask, but will just have to if needs be I guess (must broach it with a couple of them!). My MW recomended home birth but it's not really an option for us (very anxious husband), it'll be really anoying to go in 'early' and then it turn out not so speedy and mean I could have been home for longer where I'd be more comfortable, but then I don't really want to be pushing in the car park again either! My MW has said to not hang around at home and ignore any hospital MW on the phone who says I don't need to go in yet if they try and to, and make it clear my last labour was fast. And there is always an abulance if it is really take you by surprise fast.

BeginnerSAHM Wed 04-Feb-15 15:02:39

Hi - first was 2 1/2 hours from waking up, second was one hour 15 mins from first tiny twinge (small period pain type feeling) and the third was an hour and 10 minutes after they broke my waters (sort of induction). I was very worried about having the third in the car park - as were the midwives I saw during my pregnancy. Apparently, the midwife delivering number three thought I probably could have pushed about 30 minutes before I did. I didn't want to because I was worried I would tear but I was probably fully dilated for ages... Good luck!!

bigfam Sun 08-Feb-15 02:42:36

My first was around six hours, second around the same maybe half an hour longer, third just 2.5 hours and fourth born last week (& keeping me awake) 4.5 hours.
Was expecting 4th to be really short but my said she may have been b2b, and she was corded

M1985 Sat 14-Feb-15 08:00:45

My first was 5hrs 30, second 2hrs 20, hoping this one will be quick!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: