Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Timeline of an ELCS

(9 Posts)
ChocolateBiscuitCake Tue 27-Jan-15 12:28:42

I am having a private ELCS at the end of April (Chelsea & Westminister K Wing) and just been told I will need to be there for 10am. I am pretty sure that the op is at 1pm (from previous conversations with the midwife). Assuming they run mostly to time and that delivery is uncomplicated, what time could I expect to be back in my room, do you think?

I am desperate for my other DC to be able to meet their sibling the same day (hormones?!). Is this realistic?

Thanks for any help

Number3cometome Tue 27-Jan-15 15:00:59

My last C-section was at Kings College Hospital (not private)

I was asked to arrive for 7:30am, I was second on the list and baby was born at 11:15am.
I was back in my room by 12:30ish at which time my DS (then age 4) came to visit me.
I went home after 2 nights stay.

Things can get complicated so just prepare for that.

RueDeWakening Tue 27-Jan-15 15:07:46

I've had 3 sections (not private), on each occasion I've even able to have visitors later the same day. Your timing sounds most like my eldest - I went to theatre, DD was born at 1pm and I was in recovery and well enough for visitors by 6pm ish.

Most recent, DS2 was born at about 10am, DS1 visited after preschool so 12.30ish, and again after collecting DD from school so about 4pm.

superzero Tue 27-Jan-15 15:14:42

I've had 3 sections but even with complications I was back on the ward each time within 2 hours of the actual delivery.
I know what you mean about wanting siblings to meet their new baby. The first time I was so sure that I would be desparate to see my older boy that I arranged for him to be brought in that afternoon.He was18 months old and hated the baby! I was worried about him jumping on me or pulling out the catheter .It also meant that MIL had to bring him in as DH as already there with me.MIL was the last person I needed there the same afternoon.In retrospect the visit could easily have waited until the following day.
The next time I think both boys came in the same afternoon.DS1 was 3 and very excited about DS3 but DS2 at nearly 2 was indifferent.
So I guess it depends on the age of your children and also on whether you want to see the person bringing them in when you are lying in bed catheterised,possibly breast feeding & a bit out of it,but time wise ,it is realistic for you to have visitors the same evening.

ChocolateBiscuitCake Tue 27-Jan-15 15:32:05

Thanks so much for your responses - good to know that the DC visiting is a real possibility.

Although as you said superzero, it will be MIL (and FIL) with the DC…the only upside to this is that at least because dh will be around, he can shuttle them all over the road for something to eat around tea time. DC won't manage more than 20 mins before they start to get bored, thereby limiting PIL stay!

springlamb Tue 27-Jan-15 15:36:15

DD's birth certificate says she was born at 1515 and DS then 7 was brought up after his tea to give her a present and card he had made that day in school. There are photos of us that prove it AND even MIL is in the photos.
Please, do not allow the photos that day.
13 years on I still cringe at my catheter pipe in the background!

Number3cometome Tue 27-Jan-15 15:57:24

I didn't have a catheter for my C-section, maybe because it was a spinal block?

I look gross in my pictures, like a fat swollen blimp with little squinty eyes.
Oh how I laugh at myself now.

MouseInTheSkirting Tue 27-Jan-15 16:40:55

I had my section in the morning. Baby delivered at 10am. Back in room by 11am. I could probably have faced visitors by 12. Before that I was being monitored a lot, was being helped to breastfeed and was very emotional and zonked on morphine. We had visitors at 3.30 as that's when visiting hours were and by that time I was tired but ok. I am glad we took lots of photos even though I looked very puffy. They were precious and magical moments and no one cares, least of all you, what you look like as all eyes are on baby. Have a wonderful day. I'd re-live it in a heartbeat.

ChocolateBiscuitCake Tue 27-Jan-15 18:08:27

The only photos MIL has on display of me in her house are those after childbirth in the hospital because they feature their first born GC (puffy, braless in a horrendous nighty, greasy hair...). Cow!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: