Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

anyone else phobia of hospitals and pregnant

(2 Posts)
sleepy2kp Wed 14-Jan-15 08:04:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CazY777 Wed 14-Jan-15 09:52:28

I know how you feel, I also suffer from anxiety and hospital phobia, I had my baby nearly 7 weeks ago. I was also classed as high risk purely because I am 40 years old, for no actual medical reasons, and therefore was put under consultant care, which just made me more anxious. Just driving into the hospital car park made my blood pressure rise!
The things that helped me were finding a midwife who took my anxiety seriously, who helped me in the last few weeks, and refered me to the homebirth team. I didn't have a homebirth in the end but I felt much more supported with them and they would come to my house for check ups. I ended up going into the hospital to be induced but they helped arrange a separate room for me and I got to go home between pessaries. I also found the more time I spent at the hospital the more I got used to it. I would also suggest talking to the supervisor of midwives to see what they could put in place to help you.
I think it's also good to try and focus on the outcome - those 2 lovely babies you are carrying. With the benefit of hindsight I can say it will all be worth it in the end, I'm sitting here with my gorgeous baby girl cooing and smiling at me! Just try not to let it ruin your pregnancy but try and focus on the nice things like buying tiny clothes and seeing them on the scans.
I also ended up having a c section and whilst I can't say it was a pleasant experience I did manage to deal with it and that's made me feel much stronger in myself.
Hope that helps a bit, good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: