Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I can see a stitch at the side of my c section scar, as in a piece of wire/thread

(8 Posts)
dottytablecloth Tue 13-Jan-15 13:50:01

Is this normal? Should I be worried?

I had a c section 5 weeks ago and am starting to feel back to normal.

At the end of the section scar there is a piece of thread hanging out. I thought stitches were dissolvable? I'm worried, what is this?

ladymalfoy Tue 13-Jan-15 13:53:08

I had this. When I went for my six week check the Doc whipped it out. Didn't feel a thing. Quite normal .

AnneOfCleavage Tue 13-Jan-15 13:58:07

I would get it looked at quite soon as I had this (but with an appendix scar) and the stitch burrowed in and caused an infection. The Dr will just pull it out but best if they do though (not you with tweezers I mean).

Good luck and don't worry, this is quite a normal occurrence.

Doje Tue 13-Jan-15 14:10:36

I had this too. They only designed to dissolve under the skin. I went to one of the drop in midwife sessions and she just lopped off the bit sticking out with a scalpel. Easy. smile

chiruri Tue 13-Jan-15 14:22:35

Did you need to have stitches removed, or were they all absorbable? The most likely thing is that it's a deep suture (the wound is closed in layers) that is just poking up through the skin. At 5 weeks the wound will be well healing, but the sutures can take months to fully dissolve. You absolutely mustn't pick at it or pull it out yourself - that will just inflame the area. If the wound is otherwise clean/healed then don't worry about it. If the little stitch is surrounded by redness/swelling then you can go to your GP to have it looked at and they might pull it out or cut it flush with the skin.
If you had to have sutures removed then there is a small chance it's a bit of retained, non-absorbable suture. This does need to be pulled out, but it's nothing to get worried about (it won't hurt) smile.

Newyearnewoutlook Tue 13-Jan-15 14:25:54

I had this when dd2 was six months old. Had an x ray and then an appt two weeks later to remove the clip.

Teabird Tue 13-Jan-15 14:26:18

I also had exactly the same thing happen but at each end of my scar. I booked an appointment with the nurse at my Dr's and she just snipped them out. I didn't feel a thing, hope that helps.

NotSpartacus Thu 15-Jan-15 20:14:22

I had the same following a different abdominal surgery and just cut the end off myself on my surgeon sister's instructions (they harden in the air and can get a little pokey).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: