Talk

Advanced search

Emergency cs?

(15 Posts)
NinjaPanda34 Sun 11-Jan-15 22:49:06

Are emergency c-sections done under GA or with spinal?

PacificDogwood Sun 11-Jan-15 22:51:12

Depends on the 'emergency'.

Mine was an emCS, in that is was not planned weeks ahead, but 8 hours passed between the decision and the actual operation. I had a spinal.

A 'crash' section, when mother's or baby's life is at risk, is usual done under GA.

Why do you ask?

NeedaDiscoNap Sun 11-Jan-15 22:51:17

Usually spinal unless the spinal doesn't work or there is a medical reason for a general anesthetic.

I had a spinal and was awake throughout. If you have a GA your partner is not allowed in the theatre with you. With spinal they are.

PacificDogwood Sun 11-Jan-15 22:51:44

*usually

MrsEdinburgh Sun 11-Jan-15 22:53:43

Depends on how urgent/serious it is. They can be done under anasthetic usually called a crash section, as mother & babies lives at risk. Or most usually they are done under a spinal block or epidural.
Mine was done with a top up epidural as my DD was not coming out!

Kahlua4me Sun 11-Jan-15 22:54:27

Mine was a spinal as all was well apart from ds would not descend. I think it depends on the situation and if it is safe for a spinal.

NinjaPanda34 Sun 11-Jan-15 22:55:59

Ahh it was just something the consultant had said, made me question. She says there was a possibility of a section for Baby B if he turns/ gets stuck after the first one is out.

Goldmandra Sun 11-Jan-15 22:56:01

They prefer to give you spinal/epidural rather than a general anaesthetic if time permits.

PacificDogwood Sun 11-Jan-15 22:57:38

Ah, twins! smile

GA is simply faster, but yes, a spinal is usually preferred if there is the time to do it safely for mother and baby/ies.

Micah Sun 11-Jan-15 23:00:06

Mine was a very emergency section, wheeling me to theatre while also getting consent, siting cannula's etc.

I was lucky that the anaesthetist got the spinal sited in seconds, if there'd have been any problem it would have been straight to GA.

I was also very lucky that it was daytime, so the theatre, surgeon, anaesthetist etc were all there ready and waiting.

If they think a spinal will take too long they will go straight to GA.

nutsinwinter Sun 11-Jan-15 23:00:49

Yes as PP have said it depends.

Someone close to me has had an emergency CS and had an epidural.

Another birth was via crash CS, under general anaesthetic (the baby was in distress and I believe they had lost the heartbeat. Her partner was pretty much shoved into the corridor and she was given a general anaesthetic more or less immediately.

(Fortunately it had a happy ending with a healthy baby and a mother who was not at all traumatized by the experience.)

nutsinwinter Sun 11-Jan-15 23:02:19

Sorry same woman, two separate births, one emergency and one crash CS. Two healthy babies!

AnitaManeater Sun 11-Jan-15 23:02:48

I have had 2 crash sections and a vbac in the middle. General anaesthetic both times as no time for a spinal

NeedaDiscoNap Mon 12-Jan-15 11:56:59

Remember when it comes to sections, OP, they have to make you aware of the risks and will advise you that it may be under GA, although most are not.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 12-Jan-15 12:00:26

If you have twins they normally recommend you have an epidural which can then be topped up if you need a section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now