Talk

Advanced search

Elcs and toddler

(16 Posts)
LittlePink Fri 09-Jan-15 19:31:09

I'm 40+5 now, hoping for Vbac but baby not budging at the moment so been booked for elcs next weds. I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to look after dd who is 2.6 yrs old when dh goes back to work after the 2 weeks if it comes to a section. Things like nappy changing dd, she's not potty trained yet, she is in pull ups though. The leaflet says not to push anything for 6 wks so I'm worried about not being able to take her out in the pushchair for fresh air, also her jumping on me as she's not very gentle at the best of times! There's loads of things I'm worried about in terms of the recovery and having a toddler to look after too. I had an emcs with dd so I remember the pain and recovery from her but I only had her to look after then do it was do-able.

Any tips or advice on caring for a toddler after a section?

LittlePink Fri 09-Jan-15 19:32:43

*so it was do-able!

Daveface Fri 09-Jan-15 19:39:21

I had EMCS with my 2nd. My 1st was 20 months. My DH had two weeks off and then I pretty much had to get on with it. Though 2 weeks post surgery I actually felt almost back to normal to be honest.

I took them both to baby groups, in the double buggy, just walked as slowly as I needed to. Other mums helped me out at group but then a slow walk home again. My toddler was still in a cot for naps, I had no choice but to lift her. I did it slowly and carefully, didn't do myself aby injuries. Obviously it's not ideal but I had no choice and it all worked out.

Could you DH tag any annual leave into his parental leave perhaps?

LittlePink Fri 09-Jan-15 19:55:34

He's really low on annual leave. He's had to take some days this week to take me to hospital for various issues that came up unexpectedly. Also he said work won't let him have more than 2 weeks off. I've got in laws nearby but can't expect them to come every day and if I'm here dd won't let anyone else do anything for her at the moment, it has to be mummy!

Bigbadgeorge Fri 09-Jan-15 20:04:45

After an EMCS I was up on my feet and managing getting out and about with pram fine after a week. I didn't have a lump of a toddler to cart around (though I will this time after elcs smile), dh had only 3 days leave and we have no local family. So maybe you will find its not as bad as you think, just take it easy

DixieNormas Fri 09-Jan-15 20:08:02

My ds4 was born by elcs, ds3 was 3022 months at the time. He was born on the Friday and dp was back at work on the Monday unfortunately.

Two weeks in you will probably be fine if there are no complications and you try not to do too much (easier said than done)

DixieNormas Fri 09-Jan-15 20:08:28

3022! He was 22 months��

fishfingerSarnies Fri 09-Jan-15 20:12:25

I'm nervous about this too my dd will be 2.7, and I will have a 1 year old dog especially worried as my dh is going to be away for the birth and first 3 weeks. Hoping to get friends and family to tag team in and help out.

Olivo Fri 09-Jan-15 20:21:30

I had this and it was fine. I was back in the car just under two weeks, and ok pushing the pram with dd holding on ( you could get a buggy board). I was very aware of lifting and straining following my previous CS and tried very hard not to over do it. I have to confess, I coslept as it was easier and meant that I managed some sleep with DD2 feeding every 90 mins or so, meaning that I was ok looking after DD1 each day and DH sleep in he the spare room so was ok for work and to take DD1 when he wasn't.

Penguito Fri 09-Jan-15 20:28:28

DS was 2.4 when I had my elective section- it was fine. I was walking/bending normally within a week so nappy changes etc weren't a problem. You'll be surprised at how quickly you feel normal again!

cuphat Sat 10-Jan-15 08:39:45

I'm worrying about this too as (91st percentile!) DD will be almost 2 years old when I have an ELCS. I recovered well last time but I did take it easy for 6 weeks. She was 9lb 10oz so my husband lifted her for me while he was at home for a month. This time my husband can only take 2 weeks off work in one go due to the nature of his job. I'm worrying about how I'm going to lift DD without causing damage.

BeanCalledPickle Sat 10-Jan-15 15:15:09

What about nursery? Is that an option? Depending on your area are there any that you could try and get a place at? You could give notice after a while if it's not a good or affordable long term option?

happylittlevegemites Sun 11-Jan-15 05:28:02

Nappy changes will be fine on the floor. Get the toddler used to climbing up and down stairs and up and down from the sofa. I also got him to do lots of "gentle" patting of my tummy to get used to the concept. He wasn't perfect, but did get the idea.

You don't have to leave the house until you're ready - TV is your friend here! Sure, it's not ideal for you all to be inside all day, but that's life.

Make the most of the help while you have it, try it get yourself as recovered as possible in those two weeks. Personally, I didn't feel ready to drive until 5 weeks after EMCS #1 and 6 weeks for #2 (although there were reasons for slower recovery...). And pushing the double buggy was hard work on the scar.

Roonerspism Sun 11-Jan-15 05:36:30

I felt reasonably ok by two weeks.

But I do have a very heavy lump of a toddler and lifting her still hurts my scar nearly 5 weeks in. I take it she is too young for a big bed? Nappy changes would be ok I think - could do them on floor.

I would try to avoid pushing toddler in buggy for a month or so - I personally felt like I was impeding my recovery by doing so.

Good luck!

LittlePink Sun 11-Jan-15 06:31:04

Bean- there is a childminder we know round the corner so if really needed we could see if she'd have her a couple of times a week and dd knows her quite well. I've arranged for my mum to come for a week after dh goes back to work so although she's fairly elderly and won't really be able to do much for dd she can at least hold the baby or take dd out in the pushchair for a walk around the block for fresh air.

Roo- she is in a big girl bed now and the saving grace there is she won't let anyone get her into it, she is fiercely independent so likes to get herself into bed and in and out of car seats, high chair. So I'm lucky in that respect.

Has anyone any experience of a caesarean belt? Are they any good?

spookyskeleton Sun 11-Jan-15 06:37:38

I had an ELCS with DS2 when DS1 was 2.4. I don't really remember many issues to be honest. DH had a couple of weeks off and when he went back to work, I was more than able to drive, push the pushchair etc. In fact, DS1 was still going to nursery 4 days a week so I would push him in the pushchair and have DS2 in a sling and walk to nursery (about 10 Minutes walk each way) from 2 weeks post-birth.

My advice is to get DH to do as much as possible when he is at home initially so that you can really rest and recover.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now