Advanced search

Following in Mum's Footsteps

(23 Posts)
Butterpuff Fri 09-Jan-15 09:53:18

I was just wondering if the type of pregnancy/birth your Mum had was anything like you had yourself.

My Mum was two weeks late with both of us. She had a really slow first stage followed by a really fast second stage with both as well. With my older brother she was sped up because they thought everything was going to slowly, then started going to fast so was given more drugs to slow her down. My brother came out a bit dopey and needed special care. With me they let nature take its course no drugs and a slow start but quick finish.

I was wondering if the time Mum went over with us, and they type of birth she had would give any indication of what I might be facing in a few week.

Interested to hear if anyone can compare their labour with their mothers.

Thelovecats Fri 09-Jan-15 12:13:03

Mine were both fast, neither induced. Mum was induced overdue with 2 out of 3 and much slower even 3rd time. Not much similarity at all!

kalidasa Fri 09-Jan-15 12:31:33

I'm one of five, all girls. The general family pattern is bad pregnancies, fairly straightforward deliveries, though with some variations - I have had the worst pregnancies (out of action for entire nine months, in hospital a lot, wheelchair for months at the end), whereas one of my sisters just had sickness at the bad end of 'normal' and managed to work throughout and avoid any medication. My Mum is a bit hazy about her deliveries at this point and can't always remember which was which but I was lucky to have a pretty straightforward birth first time (am 37 weeks with no. 2) and so did she. Most of my various sisters' labours were reasonably OK too, though my experience sounded most like my Mum's. As I remember none of us were either very early or late, DS was born at 39 weeks. I reckon this one might come a bit sooner.

Butterpuff Fri 09-Jan-15 12:37:34

Thanks for your responses. I have a feeling its going to turn out to be mostly unrelated. Not sure if that is good for me or bad. So far I do carry like my Mum did, but had MS which she did not.

I'd prefer not to go two weeks late so don't mind if I don't follow that tradition, but wouldn't mind her labour pattern as it sounds like once they realised what her body was trying to do it was fairly strait forward.

Both of us were under 7lb too, and as I am under 5ft tall a smaller baby sounds just fine to me, I'm keeping fingers crossed as DH is 6ft3 so we could have a biggie.

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Fri 09-Jan-15 19:09:36

My mums delivery with me (only child) was 12 hours at 40+3

My delivery with DS was 32.5 hours at 42wks hmm

Am 37+3 with number 2 so hoping for something better this time grin

Shedding Fri 09-Jan-15 19:13:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WishUponAStar88 Fri 09-Jan-15 19:14:21

My mum had 4 out of 5 induced, although they induced her at just 41 weeks each time. I was 40+2.
All relatively straightforward vaginal deliveries as have everyone in the family so don't know whether there's anything in that? Probably just a coincidence!

Completely different to my mum. Myself and my brother both born 5 weeks early via c-section. I had 2, late, fast, home birth babies!

bonzo77 Fri 09-Jan-15 19:21:58

No. My my siblings and I were all late. Me high forceps. DB1 induced "fell out"'at 40+15. DB2 induced, "fell out"'at 40+19.
Mum's mother 2x cs under ga. Not sure why. Me: 2 early cs for loss of movement and low waters. First was a failed induction. My mum had easy easy pregnancies. Mine were physically easy, but I had a lot of monitoring due to babies being small on scans.

sunnyfrostyday Fri 09-Jan-15 19:22:29

Identical to my Mum - very painful, bad tear, panicky delivery stage (including the midwives and doctors!)

Her mum also had an identical first labour.

golemmings Fri 09-Jan-15 19:26:16

I only have limited info about my birth but i was 40+7 5lb, keillands forceps and a trip to icu.
Dd was 40+5, 8lb14, poor rotation.
Ds was 40+14,9lb8, poor rotation -would have been forceps but not enough time to set it up due to other complications and had a couple of days in icu.

I'm thinking i come from a line of dodgy pelvises and waa going to go back to see the midwife to make notes of my deliveries for dd. Just incase it helps.

I'm happy for someone to tell me its all coincidence though.

BikeRunSki Fri 09-Jan-15 20:19:57

My mother and I both had hyperemisis; DM in one pg, me in both. My sister didn't at all though.

barmybunting Fri 09-Jan-15 20:25:27

No, totally different pregnancies and births.

My Mum says she sailed through pregnancy with me, no sickness or any other problems. I was a cs delivery because i was transverse. (Only child).

I was ill the entirety of my pregnancies, being daily sick up until delivery. I went into labour naturally with DD but had to have the induction drop after 48 hours as everything slowed down and she was in distress. She was eventually a forceps delivery.

scrivette Fri 09-Jan-15 20:38:23

My Mum and mine were similar.

Sickness until about 16 weeks and then very quick labours. (3/4hours).

VivienneRuns Fri 09-Jan-15 20:46:36

My mother had easy pregnancies, in labour never felt pain, she squeezed us out effortlessly like a giant poo apparently, lucky her.

I was crippled with sciatica, spd and had an emergency Caesarian.

MrsHoolie Sun 11-Jan-15 00:08:13

My mum had 3 straightforward deliveries....
I had 2 emergency c sections.

Whooshtheyweregone Sun 11-Jan-15 00:11:44

No, my entire TTC experience, pregnancies and births could not have been further from my mum's pregnancies.

Saraswati Sun 11-Jan-15 05:41:04

Mum had db at 29 weeks due to placental abruption. I was born at 37 weeks in a fast natural labour, no pain relief.

Dd was born at 40+5 after a sweep, 24 hours of early labour then 20 hour active labour using tens and birthing pool, no other pain relief.

So not really similar apart from the fact we both have high pain thresholds!

squizita Mon 12-Jan-15 12:26:33

My mum had twins. Induced due to high BP, instruments used bur good recovery. Epidural.
Singleton natural but with epidural.
Both average length 12 hr+

My singleton shot out like a greased piggy after 4 hours of knowing I was in labour. I tore cause she was so fast and my pushing urge so strong. No time for drugs.

Very different!

Allstoppedup Mon 12-Jan-15 12:33:05

Nope, my mum had pre eclampsia and very early c-sections with all 3 of us! She had horrible blood pressure problems but didn't suffer morning sickness.

I had hyperemesis and so was sick as a dog and went two weeks over and ended up induced and having a forceps delivery...

Livvylongpants Mon 12-Jan-15 12:42:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 12-Jan-15 12:43:32

No - my mum always went 2 weeks over and was induced for all [many many children] except one births.
My sister was 2 weeks over and had EMCS, followed by ELCS for No 2
I was one week early and had EMCS. Waters broke naturally
DC2 was 3 weeks early, waters broke naturally and had unplanned vbac.

MuffinMcLay23 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:12:14

I was identical to my mum on sickness, pre eclampsia, big babies, difficult deliveries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now