Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

push for elcs or not

(8 Posts)
dingalong Thu 08-Jan-15 12:11:23

I'm 37 weeks (expecting ds 2). I've delivered dd 1 (81/2 pounds). Pushing stage 3 hours, contractions stopped, but on drip to restart them and in the end leading to ventouse and forceps. Stitches from episotomy opened and was restricted but they opened. Took more than 3 months to heal, sore afterwards.
Ds1 dilated quickly, but again pushing stage 3 hours, contractions stopped, baby was estimated to be big so recommended to go for cs. Baby was 10 pounds and I'd been carrying extra fluid (meAsuring month ahead)

I've had an ectopic surgery since too.

My consultant said its my choice vbac or Elcs, but saw another consultant who says I should try vbac. This threw me (must admit I burst into hormonal tears as I'd reconciled myself to elcs).

I just feel that I don't know why pushing stage hasnt worked and I'd rather not go through labour and a emcs. I've asked what has happened before and what would be different this time - to get 'perhaps 3rd time lucky.'

I'm measuring 4 weeks ahead agAin with ds2. I was expecting a elcs so haven't done anything to physically and mentally prepare. I'm measuring 41 weeks so not up to much with a 5 and 3 year old. I'm back to consultant next week so any advise.

Dh is pushing for elcs (but can't mAke the consultant appointments). I'm normally fine but still get teary about dd1's birth and how I felt afterwRds

GettingFiggyWithIt Thu 08-Jan-15 12:17:48

ELCS
Had a first birth like yours, second ditto.
Third, thought ooh third time lucky, surely.
Read the hypnobirthing stuff, went along with no pain relief whatsoever. Huge.Fucking. Mistake.
Given your history go for the elective.

GettingFiggyWithIt Thu 08-Jan-15 12:20:37

I would also insist dh come with to the next consult before they persuade you otherwise.

Izzy24 Thu 08-Jan-15 12:29:17

What a difficult decision. As always, pros and cons on both sides.

If you could avoid recovering from a section , with a 3 and 5 year old, that's something to think about. But you may have good support which means that isn't an issue.

Measuring 4 weeks ahead is one of the reasons for a growth scan - would information from this help you decide?

The most important thing is that it is your decision - nobody else's .

Not much help really!

dingalong Thu 08-Jan-15 14:07:27

Last time they estimated baby at 81/2 pounds - he weighed 10 pounds, so I wouldn't be ruled by a scan. Both babies were back to back and I'm guessing this one will be too. Second birth - head never engaged properly, first got stuck

Trunkisareshite Thu 08-Jan-15 14:45:16

Csection going on your history, both times you've ended up needing heaps of intervention including a section, 3rd time is unlikely to be any different.

Cut out the worry and go for a section, call the hospital and ask for an appointment with the supervisor of midwives/ a consultant to book it in.

With your history a clear request is unlikely to be refused (unless you are faced with a complete twat). If DH can't make the appointment just bring someone else for support.

Hundreds of posters on here (myself included) have had a planned section and it's recovery is normally heaps better than an emergency and an altogether more positive experience.

dingalong Mon 12-Jan-15 18:23:00

I'm booked in for a c-section in 10 days smile midwife recommended lots of iron tablets to help with healing between now and then (bought buckets of prune juice too as just recovering from nasty thrombosed piles sad

Went in with an arguments all ready but consultant said fair enough straight away smile

Must read through other threads about advise to prepare for cs

Trunkisareshite Tue 13-Jan-15 13:47:48

Brilliant, sensible decision and now you can get properly excited! 9 days until your new baby arrives! Let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: